Transfer of user data from old install to new one

Stroller

Transfer of user data from old install to new one
Hi there,

I've got a PC here which has been playing up. I uninstalled a cheap & nasty
3rd-party firewall, and now network / Internet connectivity is hosed. The
machine has Vista SP1, and attempts to install SP2 consistently fail. I'm
unable to repair or repair install from the Vista installation disk.

I've decided just to format & perform a reinstall. I have backed up the
whole drive, both as an image and as all the files from the disk to a NTFS
partition.

Is there any way to transfer all the user's original settings to a fresh
installation, please? Or rather: what is the best way?

I believe each user has their own registry hive, and I'm assuming that just
copying that over to the new machine won't work, because a different UID
will be allocated.

TIA for any suggestions,

Stroller.

Stroller

Re: Transfer of user data from old install to new one
Stroller wrote:
> Is there any way to transfer all the user's original settings to a fresh
> installation, please? Or rather: what is the best way?

Subject line is perhaps a little misleading, so this followup is just to
emphasis: it's the user's CONFIGURATION and SETTINGS which I want to
transfer.

I know how to deal with the normal document files & photos in C:\Users\Dave

Cheers!
Curious

Re: Transfer of user data from old install to new one
You can't transfer any system or user registry settings so you must
re-install your applications. You can transfer the content of Program data
files which contain program data and program settings not stored in the
registry

"Stroller" <joe.stroller@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a PC here which has been playing up. I uninstalled a cheap &
> nasty
> 3rd-party firewall, and now network / Internet connectivity is hosed. The
> machine has Vista SP1, and attempts to install SP2 consistently fail. I'm
> unable to repair or repair install from the Vista installation disk.
>
> I've decided just to format & perform a reinstall. I have backed up the
> whole drive, both as an image and as all the files from the disk to a NTFS
> partition.
>
> Is there any way to transfer all the user's original settings to a fresh
> installation, please? Or rather: what is the best way?
>
> I believe each user has their own registry hive, and I'm assuming that
> just
> copying that over to the new machine won't work, because a different UID
> will be allocated.
>
> TIA for any suggestions,
>
> Stroller.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Transfer of user data from old install to new one
Windows Easy Transfer - anything that can be transferred will be.