How can I install a 64 bit OS?

Alfred

How can I install a 64 bit OS?
My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit W7.
What do I have to do?
Leroy

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-7-custom

Alfred wrote:
> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit W7.
> What do I have to do?

Curious

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
Not all dual CPU systems are 64bit capable. What is the actual CPU chip you
have?

"Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit W7.
> What do I have to do?

jim

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
If indeed you have 64-bit architecture you must start at step one of a clean
install. You can't get around it.

FWIW - I changed from 32-bit Vista/U -> 64-bit Vista/U -> 64-bit Win 7/P and
am still wondering what I changed.

"Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit W7.
> What do I have to do?

Alfred

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
Thanks - looked like the perfect instructions.
However, like so often, what it said about installing a 64 bit OS on my 32
bit machine did not go the way they promised.

"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation)
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-7-custom
>

> Alfred wrote:
>> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
>> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit
>> W7.
>> What do I have to do?

Alfred

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
The tutorial says:
--------------------------
#

Insert the Windows 7 installation disc, and then turn off your computer.
#

Restart your computer.
#

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.
#

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and
then click Next.
-----------------------------
that window never showed up!

"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation)
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-7-custom
>

> Alfred wrote:
>> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
>> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit
>> W7.
>> What do I have to do?

R. C. White

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
Hi, Alfred.

"Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit W7.
> What do I have to do?

Some dual-CPU machines have two 32-bit CPUs. That does NOT make a 64-bit
CPU!

Open a Command Prompt window and run systeminfo. It will take a few
seconds, but you should then see a long list of details about your machine.
What does it say at System Type? Mine says:
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 2
AuthenticAMD ~2612 Mhz

What does yours say?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Alfred

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, the tutorial made empty promises.

"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation)
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-7-custom
>

> Alfred wrote:
>> My diagnostic check shows that my system is 64 bit enabled (dual CPUs).
>> I have a 32 bit Vista OS on it now, but would like to install a 64 bit
>> W7.
>> What do I have to do?

Curious

Re: How can I install a 64 bit OS?
I did not go through all of the details of the tutorial so I don't know if
it told you to make sure that your Bios is set to boot from the DVD drive
first and if you told you not to remove the installation DVD until the
system was fully up and running in 64 boot mode.