factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!

Alfred

factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
I have used my HP m7763w with Vista Home Premium for more than 2 years now,
and finally got to the point of having to use my rescue CDs to reformat the
HD and reset to factory setting.
Unfortunately, I get frequent error messages now, and missing file notices,
and Windows Update refuses to work.
I understand that the old factory settings are way outdated by now, but
what am I supposed to do to get it all working right, if Windows Update
fails?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

DL

Re: factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
So immediately after resetting, winupdate didnt work?
What was the reason for resetting?
What sort of missing file msgs, exactly?

"Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>I have used my HP m7763w with Vista Home Premium for more than 2 years now,
>and finally got to the point of having to use my rescue CDs to reformat the
>HD and reset to factory setting.
> Unfortunately, I get frequent error messages now, and missing file
> notices, and Windows Update refuses to work.
> I understand that the old factory settings are way outdated by now, but
> what am I supposed to do to get it all working right, if Windows Update
> fails?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alfred

Re: factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
Amazingly, yes!
My reason for using the rescue CDs (happy that I made them!) was that the
Restore function of Vista had stopped functioning, and I had no way of
repairing messed up conditions other than using the original factory
settings.
The previous times of resetting I uninstalled all crap I don't want on my
machine, like Norton, AOL, Vonage, etc., but I just finished running the two
CDs for the third time, this time taking care to leave everything on the
installation and writing down error messages. I also made sure my
connection was disabled, so there could be no outside interference. Wanted
to let Norton do the initial protection, which it failed to do anyway, since
it "failed to install".
Other error messages were (in order):
----------------------
UNABLE TO LOAD C:\ PROGRAM FILES\PC-DOCTOR 5 for WINDOWS\xjre\xKRN41058.dll
{referenced from C:\PROGRAMFILES\PC-DOCTOR 5 for WINDOWS\pcdr5cuiw32.exe)
HPSDP Application module has stopped working.
A problem has caused the program to work correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you... blah, blah.
Windows Mail cold not be started because MSOE.dll could not be found
HP Advisor has stopped working.

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> So immediately after resetting, winupdate didnt work?
> What was the reason for resetting?
> What sort of missing file msgs, exactly?
>
> "Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>>I have used my HP m7763w with Vista Home Premium for more than 2 years
>>now, and finally got to the point of having to use my rescue CDs to
>>reformat the HD and reset to factory setting.
>> Unfortunately, I get frequent error messages now, and missing file
>> notices, and Windows Update refuses to work.
>> I understand that the old factory settings are way outdated by now, but
>> what am I supposed to do to get it all working right, if Windows Update
>> fails?
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick Rogers

Re: factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
Hi,

Either the recovery process failed or the root cause of some of your issues
if failing hardware (memory faults, hard drive defects, flaky power supply
can all cause these symptoms). Try the recovery process again and if the
problems still occur, consider running the memory diagnostic tool and HP's
diagnostic tool as described here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3354761

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>I have used my HP m7763w with Vista Home Premium for more than 2 years now,
>and finally got to the point of having to use my rescue CDs to reformat the
>HD and reset to factory setting.
> Unfortunately, I get frequent error messages now, and missing file
> notices, and Windows Update refuses to work.
> I understand that the old factory settings are way outdated by now, but
> what am I supposed to do to get it all working right, if Windows Update
> fails?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

DL

Re: factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
See Rick Rodgers post

> Amazingly, yes!
> My reason for using the rescue CDs (happy that I made them!) was that the
> Restore function of Vista had stopped functioning, and I had no way of
> repairing messed up conditions other than using the original factory
> settings.
> The previous times of resetting I uninstalled all crap I don't want on my
> machine, like Norton, AOL, Vonage, etc., but I just finished running the
> two CDs for the third time, this time taking care to leave everything on
> the installation and writing down error messages. I also made sure my
> connection was disabled, so there could be no outside interference.
> Wanted to let Norton do the initial protection, which it failed to do
> anyway, since it "failed to install".
> Other error messages were (in order):
> ----------------------
> UNABLE TO LOAD C:\ PROGRAM FILES\PC-DOCTOR 5 for
> WINDOWS\xjre\xKRN41058.dll {referenced from C:\PROGRAMFILES\PC-DOCTOR 5
> for WINDOWS\pcdr5cuiw32.exe)
> HPSDP Application module has stopped working.
> A problem has caused the program to work correctly.
> Windows will close the program and notify you... blah, blah.
> Windows Mail cold not be started because MSOE.dll could not be found
> HP Advisor has stopped working.
> A problem has caused the program to work correctly.
> Windows will close the program and notify you... blah, blah.
>

> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> So immediately after resetting, winupdate didnt work?
>> What was the reason for resetting?
>> What sort of missing file msgs, exactly?
>>
>> "Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>>>I have used my HP m7763w with Vista Home Premium for more than 2 years
>>>now, and finally got to the point of having to use my rescue CDs to
>>>reformat the HD and reset to factory setting.
>>> Unfortunately, I get frequent error messages now, and missing file
>>> notices, and Windows Update refuses to work.
>>> I understand that the old factory settings are way outdated by now, but
>>> what am I supposed to do to get it all working right, if Windows Update
>>> fails?
>>> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alfred

Re: factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
I have run the hardware diagnostic check, and it showed success in all
sectors.
My latest (fourth or fifth try!) factory reset (using my rescue CDs) came up
with a new error:
-----------------------------
NSIS error
The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
This can be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.
You may want to consult the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.
-----------------------------
Weird, since the two rescue CDs are the same as on the previous tries and
this message never came up before.
It has been a week of frustration, and I am almost ready to throw that damn
box out the window.
"Rescue" my foot! ;\(

> Hi,
>
> Either the recovery process failed or the root cause of some of your
> issues if failing hardware (memory faults, hard drive defects, flaky power
> supply can all cause these symptoms). Try the recovery process again and
> if the problems still occur, consider running the memory diagnostic tool
> and HP's diagnostic tool as described here:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3354761
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alfred" <alfredwenzl@ggholiday.com> wrote in message
>>I have used my HP m7763w with Vista Home Premium for more than 2 years
>>now, and finally got to the point of having to use my rescue CDs to
>>reformat the HD and reset to factory setting.
>> Unfortunately, I get frequent error messages now, and missing file
>> notices, and Windows Update refuses to work.
>> I understand that the old factory settings are way outdated by now, but
>> what am I supposed to do to get it all working right, if Windows Update
>> fails?
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick Rogers

Re: factory settings reinstalled gives trouble!
Hi,

Then you almost definitely have a hardware issue, probably the power supply
or motherboard and will require service. If it's under warranty, contact HP.
Otherwise, consult with a local technician (not the local equivalent of the
geek squad, but a real tech).