Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009
Howard Woodard
 

Posts: n/a
The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...
I have a machine with Vista Home Basic sp2. I'm gonna give it to my grand
daughter for Christmas and decided that I wanted to give it to her with Home
Premium.

My son had a copy of Vista Home Premium that he bought way back when it
first came out -- before any service pack releases -- for a custom build
that has long since been parted out.

I tried to use that disk to upgrade from but it grays out the upgrade option
because the version of Windows that I am trying to upgrade is newer than the
one I am upgrading from. Since Home Premium is super to Home Basic I assume
that the error is coming from the service pack difference.

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks in advance,

Howard
Redmond, WA

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009
Gregg Fowler
 

Posts: n/a
Re: The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...


"Howard Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> wrote in message
news:2B3666F0-C74E-443F-ABCB-F247395E2A05@microsoft.com...
> I have a machine with Vista Home Basic sp2. I'm gonna give it to my grand
> daughter for Christmas and decided that I wanted to give it to her with
> Home Premium.
>
> My son had a copy of Vista Home Premium that he bought way back when it
> first came out -- before any service pack releases -- for a custom build
> that has long since been parted out.
>
> I tried to use that disk to upgrade from but it grays out the upgrade
> option because the version of Windows that I am trying to upgrade is newer
> than the one I am upgrading from. Since Home Premium is super to Home
> Basic I assume that the error is coming from the service pack difference.
>
> Is there a way to get around this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Howard
> Redmond, WA


Clean install?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009
Dave Warren
 

Posts: n/a
Re: The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...
In message <2B3666F0-C74E-443F-ABCB-F247395E2A05@microsoft.com> "Howard
Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I have a machine with Vista Home Basic sp2. I'm gonna give it to my grand
>daughter for Christmas and decided that I wanted to give it to her with Home
>Premium.
>
>My son had a copy of Vista Home Premium that he bought way back when it
>first came out -- before any service pack releases -- for a custom build
>that has long since been parted out.
>
>I tried to use that disk to upgrade from but it grays out the upgrade option
>because the version of Windows that I am trying to upgrade is newer than the
>one I am upgrading from. Since Home Premium is super to Home Basic I assume
>that the error is coming from the service pack difference.
>
>Is there a way to get around this?


Only by reinstalling from scratch, otherwise, no.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009
Howard Woodard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...
Thanks for the responses Dave and Gregg. I knew that I could do a fresh
install -- I just was hoping that I wouldn't have to do it.

I wonder why no one has come up with a Vista equivalent to the XP utility
that lets you build a install disk from your current installation that
includes all of your updates.

Thanks again and have a great Holiday Season.

Howard
============================================

"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote in message
news:fthrh5p5npe48fjv21476elmvdaa3goeof@4ax.com...
> In message <2B3666F0-C74E-443F-ABCB-F247395E2A05@microsoft.com> "Howard
> Woodard" <woodard@msn.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>I have a machine with Vista Home Basic sp2. I'm gonna give it to my grand
>>daughter for Christmas and decided that I wanted to give it to her with
>>Home
>>Premium.
>>
>>My son had a copy of Vista Home Premium that he bought way back when it
>>first came out -- before any service pack releases -- for a custom build
>>that has long since been parted out.
>>
>>I tried to use that disk to upgrade from but it grays out the upgrade
>>option
>>because the version of Windows that I am trying to upgrade is newer than
>>the
>>one I am upgrading from. Since Home Premium is super to Home Basic I
>>assume
>>that the error is coming from the service pack difference.
>>
>>Is there a way to get around this?

>
> Only by reinstalling from scratch, otherwise, no.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009
Al
 

Posts: n/a
Re: The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...
Installing SP2 "promotes" Vista basic - which accounts for the message
you are getting. Uninstall SP2 via Control Panel - install Premium
version and reinstall SP2.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2009
Howard Woodard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: The version you are upgrading is newer than the one you're upgrading from...
Terrific!

Thanks Al.

Howard
================================

"Al" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:OEE3InDeKHA.4724@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Installing SP2 "promotes" Vista basic - which accounts for the message
> you are getting. Uninstall SP2 via Control Panel - install Premium
> version and reinstall SP2.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading to Vista Ultimate x64 version Jim microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 06-27-2007 18:23
upgrading from one version of vista to another stadisticado microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 05-25-2007 11:48
RE:upgrading using the x64 version of Vista Ultimate =?Utf-8?B?QmV0YXRlc3Rlcnp6?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-01-2007 03:44
Upgrading from the Eval version =?Utf-8?B?TjVSS04=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 19 03-01-2007 03:41
Upgrading from different language version =?Utf-8?B?UmFobmF5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 02-09-2007 15:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120