Help - Windows Vista Activation

mharis

Help - Windows Vista Activation

Ok, i dont know if im performing an act of piracy or not. I guess the
best way would be to ask you guys.

My bro bought his DELL laptop from Ireland, he got the vista home basic
dvd with it that was activated with the serial number of his laptop. I
purchased my laptop in Pakistan as a second hand and the seller didnt
give me any cds or dvds with it, and i dont have any Windows serial
number at the back of my pc.

I installed Vista in my pc by using my bro's dvd and activated it with
the same serial number..it was activated...I need to ask if will
deactivate any of the windows on either pcs? And if it will, which one
would it be?? I need to know this SOON because i dont want my bro's copy
get deactivated!

If either is going to be deactivated, I want to know how can I
deactivate my copy of windows, since I dont want my bro's pc to get
affected in any way...he's going to kill me if it does :S

Plz help.

Thanks

--
mharis
mharis's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161465.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Rick Rogers

Re: Help - Windows Vista Activation
Hi,

So yes, that's piracy. Your bro's disk is meant for his machine alone, use
of it to install to your machine is a breach of Dell's poicies. Use of his
product key to activate your installation is an act of piracy. You cannot
"deactive" an installation, but you can make yours legitimate. Read about
Microsoft's programs for this here:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...680e6#ID0EBIAC

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mharis" <mharis.42s0vc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Ok, i dont know if im performing an act of piracy or not. I guess the
> best way would be to ask you guys.
>

> My bro bought his DELL laptop from Ireland, he got the vista home basic
> dvd with it that was activated with the serial number of his laptop. I
> purchased my laptop in Pakistan as a second hand and the seller didnt
> give me any cds or dvds with it, and i dont have any Windows serial
> number at the back of my pc.
>

> I installed Vista in my pc by using my bro's dvd and activated it with
> the same serial number..it was activated...I need to ask if will
> deactivate any of the windows on either pcs? And if it will, which one
> would it be?? I need to know this SOON because i dont want my bro's copy
> get deactivated!
>
> If either is going to be deactivated, I want to know how can I
> deactivate my copy of windows, since I dont want my bro's pc to get
> affected in any way...he's going to kill me if it does :S
>
> Plz help.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> mharis
> mharis's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161465.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1279130.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Frankster

Re: Help - Windows Vista Activation

"mharis" <mharis.42s0vc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Ok, i dont know if im performing an act of piracy or not. I guess the
> best way would be to ask you guys.
>

> My bro bought his DELL laptop from Ireland, he got the vista home basic
> dvd with it that was activated with the serial number of his laptop. I
> purchased my laptop in Pakistan as a second hand and the seller didnt
> give me any cds or dvds with it, and i dont have any Windows serial
> number at the back of my pc.
>

> I installed Vista in my pc by using my bro's dvd and activated it with
> the same serial number..it was activated...I need to ask if will
> deactivate any of the windows on either pcs? And if it will, which one
> would it be?? I need to know this SOON because i dont want my bro's copy
> get deactivated!
>
> If either is going to be deactivated, I want to know how can I
> deactivate my copy of windows, since I dont want my bro's pc to get
> affected in any way...he's going to kill me if it does :S
>
> Plz help.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> mharis
> mharis's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161465.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1279130.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

In additions to what Rick Rogers has said...

Both computers will continue to work, as always.

-Frank

Dave Warren

Re: Help - Windows Vista Activation
In message <svOdnZYFv7p8n4HWnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@giganews.com> "Frankster"
<frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Both computers will continue to work, as always.

Wouldn't WGA catch this?
Frankster

"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote in message
> In message <svOdnZYFv7p8n4HWnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@giganews.com> "Frankster"
> <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>Both computers will continue to work, as always.

> Wouldn't WGA catch this?

No.

-Frank