Vista ceases, what can I do?

tinco

Vista ceases, what can I do?
I have a new computer--HP, less than a year old, loaded with Vista OS. I
love the speed of it and hate the way the locks itself down daily. Usually
in the mornings. I have no use of keyboard or mouse at the time of lockdown.
I have to manually shut off the tower and then re-boot. It starts over,
usually stays good until later that day or the next morning. I don't know
how to make this not happen and would appreciate any advice as to whether
this is the computer or the OS? I've never had anything like this happen
with my other HP or any other machine for that matter.
I'm thinking if it's the OS, can't I just delte Vista and reload windows 7
instead? Bad idea or good?
Thanks for your advice!
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista ceases, what can I do?
Hi,

Lockups or freezes without blue screens (stop errors) are usually hardware
related, ie: a system component is faulty or failing. Upgrading from Vista
to Win7 will not alter that or reolve it. As your HP is less than a year
old, it would still be under warranty and you should have this problem
addressed immediately by them.

If there are stop error messages, please post back with the text of them
verbatim for analysis.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"tinco" <tinco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new computer--HP, less than a year old, loaded with Vista OS. I
> love the speed of it and hate the way the locks itself down daily.
> Usually
> in the mornings. I have no use of keyboard or mouse at the time of
> lockdown.
> I have to manually shut off the tower and then re-boot. It starts over,
> usually stays good until later that day or the next morning. I don't know
> how to make this not happen and would appreciate any advice as to whether
> this is the computer or the OS? I've never had anything like this happen
> with my other HP or any other machine for that matter.
> I'm thinking if it's the OS, can't I just delte Vista and reload windows 7
> instead? Bad idea or good?
> Thanks for your advice!

Curious

Re: Vista ceases, what can I do?
It appears that your graphics card may be what is locking up. Are you
possibly watching live or recorded TV at the time or playing any high
activity games.?

"tinco" <tinco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a new computer--HP, less than a year old, loaded with Vista OS. I
> love the speed of it and hate the way the locks itself down daily.
> Usually
> in the mornings. I have no use of keyboard or mouse at the time of
> lockdown.
> I have to manually shut off the tower and then re-boot. It starts over,
> usually stays good until later that day or the next morning. I don't know
> how to make this not happen and would appreciate any advice as to whether
> this is the computer or the OS? I've never had anything like this happen
> with my other HP or any other machine for that matter.
> I'm thinking if it's the OS, can't I just delte Vista and reload windows 7
> instead? Bad idea or good?
> Thanks for your advice!

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista ceases, what can I do?
tinco wrote:
> I have a new computer--HP, less than a year old, loaded with Vista OS. I
> love the speed of it and hate the way the locks itself down daily. Usually
> in the mornings. I have no use of keyboard or mouse at the time of lockdown.
> I have to manually shut off the tower and then re-boot. It starts over,
> usually stays good until later that day or the next morning. I don't know
> how to make this not happen and would appreciate any advice as to whether
> this is the computer or the OS? I've never had anything like this happen
> with my other HP or any other machine for that matter.
> I'm thinking if it's the OS, can't I just delte Vista and reload windows 7
> instead? Bad idea or good?
> Thanks for your advice!

If the computer's less than a year old, why haven't you contacted HP
for warranty support. From your description, I'd suspect hardware problems.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.