new partition

Gail C

new partition
Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully
allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated space is
separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can i get the two
unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a new partition
--
thank you for your help
Rick Rogers

Re: new partition
Hi Gail,

You need to use a third party program to "slide" the remaining volumes so
that the space is contiguous. Vista's disk manager is incapable of this
operation. There are many available, including paragon, bootit ng, and
acronis' disk director. The second one, Bootit ng, can be run from a floppy
(if your system has a drive) without actually purchasing it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gail C" <gailc0279@gmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
newsA825FD2-6589-404C-A65E-A529828117D2@microsoft.com...
> Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully
> allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated space
> is
> separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can i get the two
> unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a new partition
> --
> thank you for your help

John Inzer

Re: new partition
Gail C wrote:
> Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully
> allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated
> space is separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can
> i get the two unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a
> new partition

=================================
Maybe the following freeware would be worth a try:

EASEUS Partition Manager
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

R. C. White

Re: new partition
Hi, again, Gail.

Did you see my reply to your identical post in the other newsgroup?

On those rare occasions when you MUST post the same question to multiple
groups, please cross-post. That is, put all the groups into the Newsgroups
(address) box of a single message. That way, the message will show up in
each of the groups and after I read it in one group, it will be marked
"Read" - for me - in all of them. Each reader will see all the other
replies and we won't duplicate each other's efforts. The payoff for you is
that all the responses will also appear in every group in a single coherent
thread and you won't have to check all the groups for replies.

In the other reply I forgot to mention that what I suggested can be done
with the tools built into Vista, mostly Disk Management. It may be more
work than with 3rd-party software, but it can be done with what you have
already paid for.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Gail C" <gailc0279@gmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
newsA825FD2-6589-404C-A65E-A529828117D2@microsoft.com...
> Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully
> allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated space
> is
> separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can i get the two
> unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a new partition
> --
> thank you for your help

James Kosin

Re: new partition
R. C.,

Actually, cross posting is bad edicate. The proper thing to do is to find
the appropriate newsgroup to ask the question. And usually ask the question
once. If you don't get a response then it is a question of asking what or
where to go from here.

James

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, again, Gail.
>
> Did you see my reply to your identical post in the other newsgroup?
>
> On those rare occasions when you MUST post the same question to multiple
> groups, please cross-post. That is, put all the groups into the
> Newsgroups (address) box of a single message. That way, the message will
> show up in each of the groups and after I read it in one group, it will be
> marked "Read" - for me - in all of them. Each reader will see all the
> other replies and we won't duplicate each other's efforts. The payoff for
> you is that all the responses will also appear in every group in a single
> coherent thread and you won't have to check all the groups for replies.
>
> In the other reply I forgot to mention that what I suggested can be done
> with the tools built into Vista, mostly Disk Management. It may be more
> work than with 3rd-party software, but it can be done with what you have
> already paid for.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Gail C" <gailc0279@gmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
> newsA825FD2-6589-404C-A65E-A529828117D2@microsoft.com...
>> Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully
>> allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated
>> space is
>> separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can i get the
>> two
>> unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a new partition
>> --
>> thank you for your help

R. C. White

Re: new partition
Hi, James.

> Actually, cross posting is bad edicate.

The word is etiquette, modified to "netiquette" when applied to "net
etiquette". It just means "good manners".

I agree that finding the appropriate single newsgroup is almost always the
best approach. That's why my post emphasized "rare occasions" and "when you
MUST post to multiple groups". A few questions/problems really do cross
lines and are appropriate for more than one group. In those few situations,
cross-posting is almost always better than multi-posting.

In the present case, Gail's other post was in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices, and that's where I read it
first and replied. If it had been cross-posted to this NG, my reply would
also have appeared here, along with any other responses - such as replies to
my reply - making for a single thread, rather than disjointed responses
scattered among multiple threads. And other responders would not spend time
and effort answering a question here that had already been dealt with in
another newsgroup. We could use that time to help others whose questions
had not yet been addressed.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"James Kosin" <james.kosin.04@cnu.edu> wrote in message
> R. C.,
>
> Actually, cross posting is bad edicate. The proper thing to do is to find
> the appropriate newsgroup to ask the question. And usually ask the
> question once. If you don't get a response then it is a question of
> asking what or where to go from here.
>
> James
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, again, Gail.
>>
>> Did you see my reply to your identical post in the other newsgroup?
>>
>> On those rare occasions when you MUST post the same question to multiple
>> groups, please cross-post. That is, put all the groups into the
>> Newsgroups (address) box of a single message. That way, the message will
>> show up in each of the groups and after I read it in one group, it will
>> be marked "Read" - for me - in all of them. Each reader will see all the
>> other replies and we won't duplicate each other's efforts. The payoff
>> for you is that all the responses will also appear in every group in a
>> single coherent thread and you won't have to check all the groups for
>> replies.
>>
>> In the other reply I forgot to mention that what I suggested can be done
>> with the tools built into Vista, mostly Disk Management. It may be more
>> work than with 3rd-party software, but it can be done with what you have
>> already paid for.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Gail C" <gailc0279@gmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
>> newsA825FD2-6589-404C-A65E-A529828117D2@microsoft.com...
>>> Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully
>>> allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated
>>> space is
>>> separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can i get the
>>> two
>>> unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a new partition
>>> --
>>> thank you for your help

John John - MVP

Re: new partition
I think that most yogis would say that spam isn't enlightening and that
it is not conducive to peaceful meditation. For your penalty go stand
in a corner... on your head, for at least 5 hours!