Reformat and Clean install problem

James DR

Reformat and Clean install problem

Hi all, im new here and i need alittle help with vista.

I'm trying to reformat for a clean install of Windows Vista Home
Premium x32 onto my laptop. The laptop only came with the 'Recovery
DVD', however i have a retail copy not supplied with the laptop.

Using the recovery DVD, and boot CD/DVD BIOS setup, i get to the screen
where the 'insall windows' pop up screen is supposed to
appear(http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...es/instal6.gif).
For some reason this screen doesnt appear but i am able to move my mouse
which tells me it hasnt hung. (stuck on this:
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...es/instal5.gif)

The retail DVD and now every 'f8' option is giving me the same screen
too, even without a CD/DVD in the optical drive.

(f8 options as in safe mode, EMS, last know working configuration,
debugging mode etc.)

Any help/ideas will be great!

--
James DR
Curious

Re: Reformat and Clean install problem
The F8 options are being presented to you by the Windows installation on
your HDD which means that the system is at least booting to Windows.
What happens when you select Safe Mode from the F8 screen?
If the recovery DVD came from your laptop vendor it is not surprising that
you do not get the same prompts that would come with a Retail installation
DVD. Check the documentation that came with your Laptop for instructions for
its use or contact the laptop vendor.
I did not understand what it did and did not occur when you tried booting
and installing from the retail installation DVD.

"James DR" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi all, im new here and i need alittle help with vista.
>
> I'm trying to reformat for a clean install of Windows Vista Home
> Premium x32 onto my laptop. The laptop only came with the 'Recovery
> DVD', however i have a retail copy not supplied with the laptop.
>
> Using the recovery DVD, and boot CD/DVD BIOS setup, i get to the screen
> where the 'insall windows' pop up screen is supposed to
> appear(http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...es/instal6.gif).
> For some reason this screen doesnt appear but i am able to move my mouse
> which tells me it hasnt hung. (stuck on this:
> http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...es/instal5.gif)
>
> The retail DVD and now every 'f8' option is giving me the same screen
> too, even without a CD/DVD in the optical drive.
>
> (f8 options as in safe mode, EMS, last know working configuration,
> debugging mode etc.)
>
> Any help/ideas will be great!
>

> --
> James DR

Dominic Payer

Re: Reformat and Clean install problem
It is my experience that the installation sometimes halts for several
minutes at various points before resuming. You probably just need to be
patient.

On 17/11/2009 07:20, James DR wrote:
> Hi all, im new here and i need alittle help with vista.
>
> I'm trying to reformat for a clean install of Windows Vista Home
> Premium x32 onto my laptop. The laptop only came with the 'Recovery
> DVD', however i have a retail copy not supplied with the laptop.
>
> Using the recovery DVD, and boot CD/DVD BIOS setup, i get to the screen
> where the 'insall windows' pop up screen is supposed to
> appear(http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...es/instal6.gif).
> For some reason this screen doesnt appear but i am able to move my mouse
> which tells me it hasnt hung. (stuck on this:
> http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...es/instal5.gif)
>
> The retail DVD and now every 'f8' option is giving me the same screen
> too, even without a CD/DVD in the optical drive.
>
> (f8 options as in safe mode, EMS, last know working configuration,
> debugging mode etc.)
>
> Any help/ideas will be great!

James Kosin

Re: Reformat and Clean install problem
Yes, I remember installing Vista on an old system and literally went to BED
waiting for it to finish the installation. I woke up the next morning and
it was installed.
The directions even for the retail version say it can take hours to fully
install the OS.

James