Uninstalling Vista

Doug

Uninstalling Vista
I have two hard drives ,each hard drive is partitioned into 2.

Drive 1

Partition C:
Partition D:

Drive 2

Partition E:

Partition F:

I have Vista Home Premium on C: Drive
Have Windows 7 on E: Drive

My Boot File is on the C : Drive for both Operating Systems.

If I want to remove Vista on Drive 1 , Partition C: First of all what would
be the easiest way of removing Vista? Reformat the drive or can you
uninstall it with the programs??

If I do Format the C: Drive,I would loose the Boot Manager File. I would
probably not be able to even boot into Win 7. If I can not boot into 7 Can I
insert the DVD do a repair to bring back the Boot file to C:?

Or can I just use a second party Boot Manager like Easy BCD to configure
Boot manager??
Thank You

Doug

Rick Rogers

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Hi Doug,

Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and simply
remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.

And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
sector.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message
>I have two hard drives ,each hard drive is partitioned into 2.
>
> Drive 1
>
> Partition C:
> Partition D:
>
> Drive 2
>
> Partition E:
>
> Partition F:
>
> I have Vista Home Premium on C: Drive
> Have Windows 7 on E: Drive
>
> My Boot File is on the C : Drive for both Operating Systems.
>
> If I want to remove Vista on Drive 1 , Partition C: First of all what
> would
> be the easiest way of removing Vista? Reformat the drive or can you
> uninstall it with the programs??
>
> If I do Format the C: Drive,I would loose the Boot Manager File. I would
> probably not be able to even boot into Win 7. If I can not boot into 7 Can
> insert the DVD do a repair to bring back the Boot file to C:?
>
> Or can I just use a second party Boot Manager like Easy BCD to configure
> Boot manager??
> Thank You
>
> Doug

Doug

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C: has
Vista on it

E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.

To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???

Thanks again for any assistance.

Doug

> Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
> separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and simply
> remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.
>
> And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
> sector.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have two hard drives ,each hard drive is partitioned into 2.
>>
>> Drive 1
>>
>> Partition C:
>> Partition D:
>>
>> Drive 2
>>
>> Partition E:
>>
>> Partition F:
>>
>> I have Vista Home Premium on C: Drive
>> Have Windows 7 on E: Drive
>>
>> My Boot File is on the C : Drive for both Operating Systems.
>>
>> If I want to remove Vista on Drive 1 , Partition C: First of all what
>> would
>> be the easiest way of removing Vista? Reformat the drive or can you
>> uninstall it with the programs??
>>
>> If I do Format the C: Drive,I would loose the Boot Manager File. I would
>> probably not be able to even boot into Win 7. If I can not boot into 7
>> Can I
>> insert the DVD do a repair to bring back the Boot file to C:?
>>
>> Or can I just use a second party Boot Manager like Easy BCD to configure
>> Boot manager??
>> Thank You
>>
>> Doug

andy

Re: Uninstalling Vista
C is the System partition, meaning it contains Boot Manager. Remove
the C drive, or, in Bios setup, make the E drive the boot drive. Then
run Windows 7 startup repair to make the E drive bootable.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:57:56 -0500, "Doug"
<DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Roger,
>
> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
>
>In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C: has
>Vista on it
>
> E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
>Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.
>
>To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???
>
>Thanks again for any assistance.
>
>Doug
>

>> Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
>> separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and simply
>> remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.
>>
>> And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
>> sector.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two hard drives ,each hard drive is partitioned into 2.
>>>
>>> Drive 1
>>>
>>> Partition C:
>>> Partition D:
>>>
>>> Drive 2
>>>
>>> Partition E:
>>>
>>> Partition F:
>>>
>>> I have Vista Home Premium on C: Drive
>>> Have Windows 7 on E: Drive
>>>
>>> My Boot File is on the C : Drive for both Operating Systems.
>>>
>>> If I want to remove Vista on Drive 1 , Partition C: First of all what
>>> would
>>> be the easiest way of removing Vista? Reformat the drive or can you
>>> uninstall it with the programs??
>>>
>>> If I do Format the C: Drive,I would loose the Boot Manager File. I would
>>> probably not be able to even boot into Win 7. If I can not boot into 7
>>> Can I
>>> insert the DVD do a repair to bring back the Boot file to C:?
>>>
>>> Or can I just use a second party Boot Manager like Easy BCD to configure
>>> Boot manager??
>>> Thank You
>>>
>>> Doug

Doug

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Hi Andy,

Do you mean to physically remove drive??Or change the drive letter??

I will try to change the boot drive to E:.

Thanks
Doug

"andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
newsd16g5tget31lmcf619vrpjbvnpkbb6n0j@4ax.com...
> C is the System partition, meaning it contains Boot Manager. Remove
> the C drive, or, in Bios setup, make the E drive the boot drive. Then
> run Windows 7 startup repair to make the E drive bootable.
>
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:57:56 -0500, "Doug"
> <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Roger,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C:
>>has
>>Vista on it
>>
>> E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
>>Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.
>>
>>To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???
>>
>>Thanks again for any assistance.
>>
>>Doug
>>

>>> Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
>>> separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and
>>> simply
>>> remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.
>>>
>>> And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
>>> sector.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Hi Doug,

In win-speak, the volume containing the boot files is designated as the
system volume (and the one containing the system files is the boot volume).
If you format or remove C: at this point, you would have to run a repair
from the Win7 booted disk. If the drive is left in place, you will need to
remark E: as the active volume first or it will just repair the boot on C:.

--

> Hi Roger,
>
> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
>
> In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C:
> has Vista on it
>
> E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
> Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.
>
> To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???
>
> Thanks again for any assistance.
>
> Doug
>

>> Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
>> separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and
>> simply remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.
>>
>> And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
>> sector.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two hard drives ,each hard drive is partitioned into 2.
>>>
>>> Drive 1
>>>
>>> Partition C:
>>> Partition D:
>>>
>>> Drive 2
>>>
>>> Partition E:
>>>
>>> Partition F:
>>>
>>> I have Vista Home Premium on C: Drive
>>> Have Windows 7 on E: Drive
>>>
>>> My Boot File is on the C : Drive for both Operating Systems.
>>>
>>> If I want to remove Vista on Drive 1 , Partition C: First of all what
>>> would
>>> be the easiest way of removing Vista? Reformat the drive or can you
>>> uninstall it with the programs??
>>>
>>> If I do Format the C: Drive,I would loose the Boot Manager File. I would
>>> probably not be able to even boot into Win 7. If I can not boot into 7
>>> Can I
>>> insert the DVD do a repair to bring back the Boot file to C:?
>>>
>>> Or can I just use a second party Boot Manager like Easy BCD to
>>> configure
>>> Boot manager??
>>> Thank You
>>>
>>> Doug

Andy

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Assuming there are two physical hard drives, removing the C drive will
automatically make the remaining drive (E) the boot drive as far as
the Bios is concerned. This will allow you to run startup repair to
place Boot Manager on that drive.

Alternatively, you can, without removing the C drive, set in Bios
setup drive E to be the boot drive, and then run startup repair to
place Boot Manager on that drive.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:27:23 -0500, "Doug"
<DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Andy,
>
> Do you mean to physically remove drive??Or change the drive letter??
>
>I will try to change the boot drive to E:.
>
>Thanks
>Doug
>
>"andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
>newsd16g5tget31lmcf619vrpjbvnpkbb6n0j@4ax.com.. .
>> C is the System partition, meaning it contains Boot Manager. Remove
>> the C drive, or, in Bios setup, make the E drive the boot drive. Then
>> run Windows 7 startup repair to make the E drive bootable.
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:57:56 -0500, "Doug"
>> <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Roger,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
>>>
>>>In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C:
>>>has
>>>Vista on it
>>>
>>> E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
>>>Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.
>>>
>>>To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???
>>>
>>>Thanks again for any assistance.
>>>
>>>Doug

Doug

Re: Uninstalling Vista
I can mark E: as active volume in Manager????

Thanks
Doug

> Hi Doug,
>
> In win-speak, the volume containing the boot files is designated as the
> system volume (and the one containing the system files is the boot
> volume). If you format or remove C: at this point, you would have to run a
> repair from the Win7 booted disk. If the drive is left in place, you will
> need to remark E: as the active volume first or it will just repair the
> boot on C:.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
>>
>> In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C:
>> has Vista on it
>>
>> E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
>> Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.
>>
>> To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???
>>
>> Thanks again for any assistance.
>>
>> Doug
>>

>>> Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
>>> separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and
>>> simply remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.
>>>
>>> And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
>>> sector.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Doug

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Hi Again have some more questions, sorry??

> Hi Doug,
>
> In win-speak, the volume containing the boot files is designated as the
> system volume (and the one containing the system files is the boot
> volume). If you format or remove C: at this point, you would have to run a
> repair from the Win7 booted disk. If the drive is left in place, you will
> need to remark E: as the active volume first or it will just repair the
> boot on C:.

I would I remark I: as the active volume???

I was thinking if I manually removed the C: Drive which is partitioned in
tom C: and D:.
Then the 2nd Drive with E: and F: on it will be the only drive. Since E: has
Windows 7 on it .I can start up windows from the DVD and do a repair???

Then I can install the other drive again and format it??

I just want to make sure, I did something like this once and lost both OS's
Thank You Very Much

Doug

> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
>>
>> In Manager C: Drive says: Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition) C:
>> has Vista on it
>>
>> E: Drive says: Healthy ( Boot,Page File, Active,Crash
>> Dump,Primary Partition) E: has Win 7 on it.
>>
>> To me it looks like E: has Boot Volume???
>>
>> Thanks again for any assistance.
>>
>> Doug
>>

>>> Run disk manager and look at the hard drives, as Win7 usually sets up a
>>> separate boot volume. If it has, you would be safe to format C: and
>>> simply remove the reference from Win7's boot manager.
>>>
>>> And yes, you could simply insert the disk and run a repair on the boot
>>> sector.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Uninstalling Vista
Hi,

If you don't change the active drive, there is a possiblility that the
system will look back to the original drive when you reinsert it, rendering
your startup repair moot.