Modifying Vista Discs

Gis Bun

Modifying Vista Discs
Hi.

I spent a bit of time having to re-install operating systems. With Vista,
there are too many variations. What I would mind doing is having 1 DVD that
can install any edition [or at least home basic, and home premium] and
whether it's OEM or retail.

Alternatively is to "convert" a retail DVD to an OEM DVD.

I'm not worried about licensing because it's a reinstall and the user would
have the license already.

I know that with Windows 7, deleting 1 file does it all [per bit platform].

Thanks

SIW2

Re: Modifying Vista Discs

Hi Gis,

With Vista, there is no file to delete from the dvd.

All MS Vista dvd's are identical ( apart from the bit version).

There is no difference between OEM (System Builder) dvd and normal
Retail dvd.

The product key you use determines which Edition is installed.

Hope it helps.

SIW2

--
SIW2
Dominic Payer

Re: Modifying Vista Discs
For Vista there is one 64-bit and one 32-bit installation disk for each
service pack level.

The product key determines which edition is installed. If a product key
is not entered, an option screen is presented allowing the choice of
edition for a 30 day trial.

Service packs cannot be slipstreamed. Third-party utilities exist which
can create an updated installation image of a particular edition at a
service pack level, but not a generic updated installation disk.

On 14/11/2009 04:34, SIW2 wrote:
> Hi Gis,
>
> With Vista, there is no file to delete from the dvd.
>
> All MS Vista dvd's are identical ( apart from the bit version).
>
> There is no difference between OEM (System Builder) dvd and normal
> Retail dvd.
>
> The product key you use determines which Edition is installed.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> SIW2
>

> Gis Bun;1190368 Wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I spent a bit of time having to re-install operating systems. With
>> Vista,
>> there are too many variations. What I would mind doing is having 1 DVD
>> that
>> can install any edition [or at least home basic, and home premium] and
>> whether it's OEM or retail.
>>
>> Alternatively is to "convert" a retail DVD to an OEM DVD.
>>
>> I'm not worried about licensing because it's a reinstall and the user
>> would
>> have the license already.
>>
>> I know that with Windows 7, deleting 1 file does it all [per bit
>> platform].
>>
>> Thanks

Gis Bun

Re: Modifying Vista Discs
Thanks [and to Dominic].

I guess specific manufacturers [HP, Dell] may have made some adjustments....

"SIW2" wrote:

> Hi Gis,
>
> With Vista, there is no file to delete from the dvd.
>
> All MS Vista dvd's are identical ( apart from the bit version).
>
> There is no difference between OEM (System Builder) dvd and normal
> Retail dvd.
>
> The product key you use determines which Edition is installed.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> SIW2
>

> Gis Bun;1190368 Wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I spent a bit of time having to re-install operating systems. With
> > Vista,
> > there are too many variations. What I would mind doing is having 1 DVD
> > that
> > can install any edition [or at least home basic, and home premium] and
> > whether it's OEM or retail.
> >
> > Alternatively is to "convert" a retail DVD to an OEM DVD.
> >
> > I'm not worried about licensing because it's a reinstall and the user
> > would
> > have the license already.
> >
> > I know that with Windows 7, deleting 1 file does it all [per bit
> > platform].
> >
> > Thanks

> --
> SIW2
> .

Dominic Payer

Re: Modifying Vista Discs
Is possible for major manufacturers to create BIOS-locked installation
disks, so that the installation disk they supply will install only on a
machine with one of their BIOSes.

It is only the disk which is BIOS locked. The product key could be used
on any machine. If you copy a Microsoft disk you can use that on any
machine. But the manufacturer supplied disks may incorporate machine
specific drivers, so you may need to download and install those separately.