system can not find the file

John

system can not find the file
Vista Home Premium 2

New system board and processor. Won't boot.
An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
well could be.

Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
diagnostics).

In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says,
"The system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins it
just dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get the
same response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a number of
folders.

Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?

John
Curious

Re: system can not find the file
What memory dims do you have installed. Vista requires that all memory
installed be running at the same speed and it tests for this when it boots.
If you are running DDR2 memory and you are not using a matched pair of dims
this could be your problem.
Another option is to test running all memory at a slower memory speed. Or
if using 4GB drop down to testing with 2GB.

"John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium 2
>
> New system board and processor. Won't boot.
> An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
> doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
> well could be.
>
> Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
> diagnostics).
>
> In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says, "The
> system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins it just
> dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get the same
> response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a number of
> folders.
>
> Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?
>
> John

John

Re: system can not find the file
Triple channel ddr3 1600. 6 megs at 2 2 2. I talked to the memory
folks... they said it should run ok and must be a board problem... of
course. Haven't had time to talk to the board people. Vista's memtest
ran fine.

John

Curious wrote:
> What memory dims do you have installed. Vista requires that all memory
> installed be running at the same speed and it tests for this when it boots.
> If you are running DDR2 memory and you are not using a matched pair of
> dims this could be your problem.
> Another option is to test running all memory at a slower memory speed.
> Or if using 4GB drop down to testing with 2GB.
>
> "John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium 2
>>
>> New system board and processor. Won't boot.
>> An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
>> doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
>> well could be.
>>
>> Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
>> diagnostics).
>>
>> In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says,
>> "The system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins
>> it just dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get
>> the same response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a
>> number of folders.
>>
>> Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?
>>
>> John

DL

Re: system can not find the file
www.memtest.org
Download create the bootable floppy or cd

> Triple channel ddr3 1600. 6 megs at 2 2 2. I talked to the memory folks...
> they said it should run ok and must be a board problem... of course.
> Haven't had time to talk to the board people. Vista's memtest ran fine.
>
> John
>

> Curious wrote:
>> What memory dims do you have installed. Vista requires that all memory
>> installed be running at the same speed and it tests for this when it
>> boots.
>> If you are running DDR2 memory and you are not using a matched pair of
>> dims this could be your problem.
>> Another option is to test running all memory at a slower memory speed.
>> Or if using 4GB drop down to testing with 2GB.
>>
>> "John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium 2
>>>
>>> New system board and processor. Won't boot.
>>> An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
>>> doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
>>> well could be.
>>>
>>> Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
>>> diagnostics).
>>>
>>> In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says,
>>> "The system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins it
>>> just dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get the
>>> same response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a number of
>>> folders.
>>>
>>> Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?
>>>
>>> John

Curious

Re: system can not find the file
Have you tried slowing it down yet?

"John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Triple channel ddr3 1600. 6 megs at 2 2 2. I talked to the memory folks...
> they said it should run ok and must be a board problem... of course.
> Haven't had time to talk to the board people. Vista's memtest ran fine.
>
> John
>

> Curious wrote:
>> What memory dims do you have installed. Vista requires that all memory
>> installed be running at the same speed and it tests for this when it
>> boots.
>> If you are running DDR2 memory and you are not using a matched pair of
>> dims this could be your problem.
>> Another option is to test running all memory at a slower memory speed.
>> Or if using 4GB drop down to testing with 2GB.
>>
>> "John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium 2
>>>
>>> New system board and processor. Won't boot.
>>> An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
>>> doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
>>> well could be.
>>>
>>> Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
>>> diagnostics).
>>>
>>> In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says,
>>> "The system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins it
>>> just dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get the
>>> same response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a number of
>>> folders.
>>>
>>> Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?
>>>
>>> John

peter

Re: system can not find the file
And of course you checked your BIOS settings to make sure they match
your processor and RAM modules??

memtest is best run of a floppy or CD/DVD
http://www.bootdisk.com/

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium 2
>
> New system board and processor. Won't boot.
> An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
> doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
> well could be.
>
> Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
> diagnostics).
>
> In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says, "The
> system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins it just
> dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get the same
> response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a number of
> folders.
>
> Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?
>
> John

John

Re: system can not find the file
New system and don't have a floppy or cd burner yet. Was hoping to use
the option with memtest to run from a thumb drive. Guess that won't work.
John

peter wrote:
> And of course you checked your BIOS settings to make sure they match
> your processor and RAM modules??
>
> memtest is best run of a floppy or CD/DVD
> http://www.bootdisk.com/
>
> peter

John

Re: system can not find the file
Yeah... tried slowing it down, speeding it up... lots of things.
John

Curious wrote:
> Have you tried slowing it down yet?
>
> "John" <john6528@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Triple channel ddr3 1600. 6 megs at 2 2 2. I talked to the memory
>> folks... they said it should run ok and must be a board problem... of
>> course. Haven't had time to talk to the board people. Vista's memtest
>> ran fine.
>>
>> John
>>

>> Curious wrote:
>>> What memory dims do you have installed. Vista requires that all
>>> memory installed be running at the same speed and it tests for this
>>> when it boots.
>>> If you are running DDR2 memory and you are not using a matched pair
>>> of dims this could be your problem.
>>> Another option is to test running all memory at a slower memory
>>> speed. Or if using 4GB drop down to testing with 2GB.

peter

Re: system can not find the file
Which Gigabyte Mobo??
what RAM??