not sure if win 7 disc is genuine

punta

not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
I know this isn't exactly the right group but I couldn't find a windows7
newsgroup.
I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD off ebay (don't laugh), but what I
actually got I'm not sure is legal so I'd appreciate some advice before
doing the return/refund thing. The disc was advertised as genuine with a
product key. When it arrived however this DVD is an obvious copy burnt on a
PC, not a factory made disc. There was no product key but a piece of paper
with activation instructions.
at this url is a picture of the DVD and also a scan of the instructions
that came with it.
http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/win7/dvd.html
The activation instructions were printed on an A4 piece of paper. I've
never seen this activation procedure before so I'm not sure it will stand
the test of time.
can anyone advise?

Leroy

Re: not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
Return the item for a refund. It has been reported that some
unscrupulous sellers have sold MSDN/TechNet subscription product keys
that are "not-for-resale". Eventually, they will be flagged as
"non-genuine".

punta wrote:
> I know this isn't exactly the right group but I couldn't find a windows7
> newsgroup.
> I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD off ebay (don't laugh), but what I
> actually got I'm not sure is legal so I'd appreciate some advice before
> doing the return/refund thing. The disc was advertised as genuine with a
> product key. When it arrived however this DVD is an obvious copy burnt on a
> PC, not a factory made disc. There was no product key but a piece of paper
> with activation instructions.
> at this url is a picture of the DVD and also a scan of the instructions
> that came with it.
> http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/win7/dvd.html
> The activation instructions were printed on an A4 piece of paper. I've
> never seen this activation procedure before so I'm not sure it will stand
> the test of time.
> can anyone advise?

DL

Re: not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
Surely you dont need to ask
Return it for a refund, if you can, otherwise put it down to a bad day, and
learn

"punta" <nospam@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
>I know this isn't exactly the right group but I couldn't find a windows7
> newsgroup.
> I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD off ebay (don't laugh), but what I
> actually got I'm not sure is legal so I'd appreciate some advice before
> doing the return/refund thing. The disc was advertised as genuine with a
> product key. When it arrived however this DVD is an obvious copy burnt on
> PC, not a factory made disc. There was no product key but a piece of paper
> with activation instructions.
> at this url is a picture of the DVD and also a scan of the instructions
> that came with it.
> http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/win7/dvd.html
> The activation instructions were printed on an A4 piece of paper. I've
> never seen this activation procedure before so I'm not sure it will stand
> the test of time.
> can anyone advise?

Richard Urban

Re: not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
The very fact that you are here is evidence of the fact that you KNOW that
what you got is bogus. You are just hoping that someone will validate that
you can use it and that you will not get in trouble in the future.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"punta" <nospam@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
>I know this isn't exactly the right group but I couldn't find a windows7
> newsgroup.
> I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD off ebay (don't laugh), but what I
> actually got I'm not sure is legal so I'd appreciate some advice before
> doing the return/refund thing. The disc was advertised as genuine with a
> product key. When it arrived however this DVD is an obvious copy burnt on
> PC, not a factory made disc. There was no product key but a piece of paper
> with activation instructions.
> at this url is a picture of the DVD and also a scan of the instructions
> that came with it.
> http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/win7/dvd.html
> The activation instructions were printed on an A4 piece of paper. I've
> never seen this activation procedure before so I'm not sure it will stand
> the test of time.
> can anyone advise?

Rick Rogers

Re: not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
You have a copy of stolen OEM media that is not legal for use.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"punta" <nospam@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
>I know this isn't exactly the right group but I couldn't find a windows7
> newsgroup.
> I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD off ebay (don't laugh), but what I
> actually got I'm not sure is legal so I'd appreciate some advice before
> doing the return/refund thing. The disc was advertised as genuine with a
> product key. When it arrived however this DVD is an obvious copy burnt on
> PC, not a factory made disc. There was no product key but a piece of paper
> with activation instructions.
> at this url is a picture of the DVD and also a scan of the instructions
> that came with it.
> http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/win7/dvd.html
> The activation instructions were printed on an A4 piece of paper. I've
> never seen this activation procedure before so I'm not sure it will stand
> the test of time.
> can anyone advise?

punta

Re: not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
bull****. you've got a nerve making statements like that
I simply want to have my facts straight before I go down the return/refund
path.

> The very fact that you are here is evidence of the fact that you KNOW
> that what you got is bogus. You are just hoping that someone will
> validate that you can use it and that you will not get in trouble in the
> future.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>

> "punta" <nospam@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
>>I know this isn't exactly the right group but I couldn't find a windows7
>> newsgroup.
>> I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD off ebay (don't laugh), but what I
>> actually got I'm not sure is legal so I'd appreciate some advice before
>> doing the return/refund thing. The disc was advertised as genuine with a
>> product key. When it arrived however this DVD is an obvious copy burnt
>> on a
>> PC, not a factory made disc. There was no product key but a piece of
>> paper
>> with activation instructions.
>> at this url is a picture of the DVD and also a scan of the instructions
>> that came with it.
>> http://home.freeuk.net/tonj/win7/dvd.html
>> The activation instructions were printed on an A4 piece of paper. I've
>> never seen this activation procedure before so I'm not sure it will
>> stand
>> the test of time.
>> can anyone advise?

punta

> You have a copy of stolen OEM media that is not legal for use.

that's what I suspected but I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks for your
feedback rick.

Gis Bun

RE: not sure if win 7 disc is genuine
All Microsoft discs since Vista have plenty of features on a DVD [or CD]
issued by them. Everything from basic text like "Do not make illegal copies"
to copyright notices and features that are hard to duplicate.

Not only return the DVD back for a refund but then complain to eBay that
it's a pirated copy. You'll be doing others a favor as if they key works now,
it won't later on. All volume license keys require activation and periodic
checks. Most of these pirate use that. Don't be too surprise if the disc is
also infested somehow.