Vista Format Option

JamesJ

Vista Format Option
Vista Basic x32 sp2

I can remember back when, I would install a windows os.

I would use fdisk and wipe out the partiion, format the drive and
install the os.

If I remember correctly, the format, even on a 30gb, hd would take 1/2 an
hour or more.
Now I have a 160gb hd and recently have re-installed vista using the format
option.

The format took about 1 minute.

Is this normal?
Using the format option does vista actually format the drive or simply
deletes everything on the partition?

Thanks,
James

whs

Re: Vista Format Option

That must have been a "Quick Format" - it really only formats the MFT.

--
whs
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Format Option
With Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to create a partition yourself,
just highlight the space where you want the OS installed. The OS creates
and formats the partitions it needs.

With XP and earlier, the full format included a disk surface test which
is what took the time. Vista and Windows 7 just create the partition
without the surface test.

On 03/11/2009 01:28, JamesJ wrote:
> Vista Basic x32 sp2
>
> I can remember back when, I would install a windows os.
>
> I would use fdisk and wipe out the partiion, format the drive and
> install the os.
>
> If I remember correctly, the format, even on a 30gb, hd would take 1/2
> an hour or more.
> Now I have a 160gb hd and recently have re-installed vista using the
> format option.
>
> The format took about 1 minute.
>
> Is this normal?
> Using the format option does vista actually format the drive or simply
> deletes everything on the partition?
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Vista Format Option
What is the MFT. * File Table?

James

"whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> That must have been a "Quick Format" - it really only formats the MFT.
>

> --
> whs

JamesJ

Re: Vista Format Option
I don't remember using a format option in xp when I installed it.

I had a boot disk in drive a: and would use the format command form 'dos'
That 'dos' format command would do a surface test?

If a partition exists and I highlight it Vista won't need to create a new
partition
it would simply format the partition if the option is selected?

So, in short, if I want to format my hd and check the surface for problems I
need
to get 3rd party software to perform the procedure??

Isn't it a good idea to have the hd surface checked for problems?

James

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> With Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to create a partition yourself,
> just highlight the space where you want the OS installed. The OS creates
> and formats the partitions it needs.
>
> With XP and earlier, the full format included a disk surface test which is
> what took the time. Vista and Windows 7 just create the partition without
> the surface test.
>

> On 03/11/2009 01:28, JamesJ wrote:
>> Vista Basic x32 sp2
>>
>> I can remember back when, I would install a windows os.
>>
>> I would use fdisk and wipe out the partiion, format the drive and
>> install the os.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, the format, even on a 30gb, hd would take 1/2
>> an hour or more.
>> Now I have a 160gb hd and recently have re-installed vista using the
>> format option.
>>
>> The format took about 1 minute.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>> Using the format option does vista actually format the drive or simply
>> deletes everything on the partition?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Format Option
In Windows 7 and Vista, just highlight empty space and let the
installation routine do the rest. Use Drive options (advanced) to delete
any existing partitions unless they contain data you want to keep.

If you install XP on a new disk it requires a partition to be created,
which you can do in the XP installation routine. The default option is a
full format which includes a surface test, but you can select a quick
format if you want.

XP can use an existing partition, and any existing partitions can be
deleted and/or recreated and formatted during the XP installation.

Windows 98 and earlier needed partitions to be created from a DOS boot
disk. The DOS partition and format do not perform a surface test. DOS
boot disks cannot format an NTFS partition.

The size of modern disks means a surface test could take hours, to no
useful purpose as surface defects on new disks are very rare. I have
only once, some years ago, had a new disk with a surface defect and the
XP surface test passed it anyway.

If you want to check your disk in detail, do so within the OS after
installation.

The most likely (but still very rare) mode of failure of a new disk is
drive electronics failure within the first few weeks of use. Surface
testing will not reveal that. Only the drive manufacturer's diagnostic
utility could reveal such a developing weakness, but would not predict a
sudden failure.

On 03/11/2009 11:59, JamesJ wrote:
> I don't remember using a format option in xp when I installed it.
>
> I had a boot disk in drive a: and would use the format command form 'dos'
> That 'dos' format command would do a surface test?
>
> If a partition exists and I highlight it Vista won't need to create a
> new partition
> it would simply format the partition if the option is selected?
>
> So, in short, if I want to format my hd and check the surface for
> problems I need
> to get 3rd party software to perform the procedure??
>
> Isn't it a good idea to have the hd surface checked for problems?
>
> James
>
> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> With Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to create a partition
>> yourself, just highlight the space where you want the OS installed.
>> The OS creates and formats the partitions it needs.
>>
>> With XP and earlier, the full format included a disk surface test
>> which is what took the time. Vista and Windows 7 just create the
>> partition without the surface test.
>>

>> On 03/11/2009 01:28, JamesJ wrote:
>>> Vista Basic x32 sp2
>>>
>>> I can remember back when, I would install a windows os.
>>>
>>> I would use fdisk and wipe out the partiion, format the drive and
>>> install the os.
>>>
>>> If I remember correctly, the format, even on a 30gb, hd would take 1/2
>>> an hour or more.
>>> Now I have a 160gb hd and recently have re-installed vista using the
>>> format option.
>>>
>>> The format took about 1 minute.
>>>
>>> Is this normal?
>>> Using the format option does vista actually format the drive or simply
>>> deletes everything on the partition?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

JamesJ