Replace Vista with Windows 7 - Install Options

Boblink

Replace Vista with Windows 7 - Install Options
Hi, I understand that this is a Vista Message board but I could not locate a
W7 message board on the Website so let me begin by apologizing if I am at
the wrong message board. I upgraded my Lenovo Desktop from Vista to Windows7
(using an W7 Upgrade DVD) and basically performed a "clean" install (it was
not completely clean because I did not reformat the whole HDD, just the "C"
Partition where I installed W7). BTW, I intended to perform a (true) Clean
Install, that is completely reformat the "C" Drive, then (re)Partition the
"C" Drive and install W7 on the "new" C-Partition that I would create but I
did not see this as an option when I installed W7. The only options
available were either to install W7 on TOP of Vista or reformat the "C"
Partition and install W7 on the Partition where Vista was installed. The "C"
Drive still has a "D", "E" and "F" Partition that I use for programs and apps
(which I have to reinstall), Data Files and Photos so my question(s) is, does
W7 have an option to Format the WHOLE Drive or only the Drive (or in my
case, the Partition) where the "old" OS resides? Also, are their any
potential problems with what I did (reformat the "C" Partition ONLY and leave
the other Partitions alone), or should I manually ReFormat the "D", "E" and
"F" Partitions and perform a true "clean" install of W7 on the "C" Drive and
then Partition the rest of the "C" Drive accordingly? Any other suggestions
/ advice / recommendations,.... would be appreciated. Thanks you, Bob
Thanks, Bob
Dominic Payer

Re: Replace Vista with Windows 7 - Install Options
Windows 7 prefers a clean install onto empty space, so that it can
create a 100MB system partition for boot files and partition and format
the remaining space for the system, programs and data.

When asked where to install, choose the advanced drive options and
delete the original system partition. Then proceed with the install just
highlighting the empty disk or space as the location for the
installation. Make sure you have saved any data and settings on the
partition before you do this.

Windows 7 (and Vista) do not need you to create a partition as XP and
earlier Windows versions did.

You do not need to reformat non-system partitions, unless you see it as
a simple way of clearing them. Whatever you do, be sure to preserve your
data.

On 28/10/2009 11:10, Boblink wrote:
> Hi, I understand that this is a Vista Message board but I could not locate a
> W7 message board on the Website so let me begin by apologizing if I am at
> the wrong message board. I upgraded my Lenovo Desktop from Vista to Windows7
> (using an W7 Upgrade DVD) and basically performed a "clean" install (it was
> not completely clean because I did not reformat the whole HDD, just the "C"
> Partition where I installed W7). BTW, I intended to perform a (true) Clean
> Install, that is completely reformat the "C" Drive, then (re)Partition the
> "C" Drive and install W7 on the "new" C-Partition that I would create but I
> did not see this as an option when I installed W7. The only options
> available were either to install W7 on TOP of Vista or reformat the "C"
> Partition and install W7 on the Partition where Vista was installed. The "C"
> Drive still has a "D", "E" and "F" Partition that I use for programs and apps
> (which I have to reinstall), Data Files and Photos so my question(s) is, does
> W7 have an option to Format the WHOLE Drive or only the Drive (or in my
> case, the Partition) where the "old" OS resides? Also, are their any
> potential problems with what I did (reformat the "C" Partition ONLY and leave
> the other Partitions alone), or should I manually ReFormat the "D", "E" and
> "F" Partitions and perform a true "clean" install of W7 on the "C" Drive and
> then Partition the rest of the "C" Drive accordingly? Any other suggestions
> / advice / recommendations,.... would be appreciated. Thanks you, Bob
> Thanks, Bob

Richard Urban

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> Windows 7 prefers a clean install onto empty space, so that it can create
> a 100MB system partition for boot files and partition and format the
> remaining space for the system, programs and data.
>
> When asked where to install, choose the advanced drive options and delete
> the original system partition. Then proceed with the install just
> highlighting the empty disk or space as the location for the installation.
> Make sure you have saved any data and settings on the partition before you
> do this.
>
> Windows 7 (and Vista) do not need you to create a partition as XP and
> earlier Windows versions did.
>
> You do not need to reformat non-system partitions, unless you see it as a
> simple way of clearing them. Whatever you do, be sure to preserve your
> data.
>

> On 28/10/2009 11:10, Boblink wrote:
>> Hi, I understand that this is a Vista Message board but I could not
>> locate a
>> W7 message board on the Website so let me begin by apologizing if I am
>> at
>> the wrong message board. I upgraded my Lenovo Desktop from Vista to
>> Windows7
>> (using an W7 Upgrade DVD) and basically performed a "clean" install (it
>> was
>> not completely clean because I did not reformat the whole HDD, just the
>> "C"
>> Partition where I installed W7). BTW, I intended to perform a (true)
>> Clean
>> Install, that is completely reformat the "C" Drive, then (re)Partition
>> the
>> "C" Drive and install W7 on the "new" C-Partition that I would create but
>> did not see this as an option when I installed W7. The only options
>> available were either to install W7 on TOP of Vista or reformat the "C"
>> Partition and install W7 on the Partition where Vista was installed. The
>> "C"
>> Drive still has a "D", "E" and "F" Partition that I use for programs and
>> apps
>> (which I have to reinstall), Data Files and Photos so my question(s) is,
>> does
>> W7 have an option to Format the WHOLE Drive or only the Drive (or in my
>> case, the Partition) where the "old" OS resides? Also, are their any
>> potential problems with what I did (reformat the "C" Partition ONLY and
>> leave
>> the other Partitions alone), or should I manually ReFormat the "D", "E"
>> and
>> "F" Partitions and perform a true "clean" install of W7 on the "C" Drive
>> and
>> then Partition the rest of the "C" Drive accordingly? Any other
>> suggestions
>> / advice / recommendations,.... would be appreciated. Thanks you, Bob
>> Thanks, Bob

If you have no plans on using bit locker you can install in a previous
partition after you format said partition. This is to replace - not upgrade.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP