new hard drive

carlos

new hard drive
I have to replace the hard drive on my hewlett packard dv2275ea laptop.

as the laptop originally only came with a restore disk, i was thinking that
along with a new hard drive i'd need to buy a copy of an operating system.
however, the laptop has still, on the bottom of it, the licence code - can i
do something to get this operating system. my local computer shop says that
it is possible and wants to charge me £45 for the privilege, i'd prefer to
learn how to do it and do it myself, with a little help...
Malke

Re: new hard drive
carlos wrote:

> I have to replace the hard drive on my hewlett packard dv2275ea laptop.
>
> as the laptop originally only came with a restore disk, i was thinking
> that along with a new hard drive i'd need to buy a copy of an operating
> system. however, the laptop has still, on the bottom of it, the licence
> code - can i do something to get this operating system. my local computer
> shop says that it is possible and wants to charge me ?45 for the
> privilege, i'd prefer to learn how to do it and do it myself, with a
> little help...

You do not need to purchase anything. Use the restore disc. That's what it's
for.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

David B.

Re: new hard drive
Use the restore disk. If your actually referring to the recovery being built
into the hard drive, contact HP and have them ship you out a recovery kit.

"carlos" <carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to replace the hard drive on my hewlett packard dv2275ea laptop.
>
> as the laptop originally only came with a restore disk, i was thinking
> that
> along with a new hard drive i'd need to buy a copy of an operating system.
> however, the laptop has still, on the bottom of it, the licence code - can
> do something to get this operating system. my local computer shop says
> that
> it is possible and wants to charge me £45 for the privilege, i'd prefer to
> learn how to do it and do it myself, with a little help...

portableds is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: new hard drive
you could use a program to copy all your files over from your old hard drive to another one. That would the easiest method of doing it