Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking

Nigel Molesworth

Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking
In our household we have two students, and so ordered a copy of Windows 7
Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium in both x64 and x86 versions - a
total of 4 products from Digital River.

Having used their download manager to download these files, I now have 6
files: 4 .exe files (as expected) plus 2 files named setup1.box and
setup2.box.

The .exe files are, however, only just over 70KB each, setup1.box is almost
3GB and setup2.box is 163KB.

Running the Home Premium versions fails immediately, saying it can't find
the required files. Running the Pro x64 .exe file starts to build a .iso
file ("Unloading the box"), but then fails with an unspecified error.

[Later] I've now re-downloaded a single Pro 64 version, moved it to another
drive, taken full permissions, and run the .exe file in elevated mode. It
now gets as far as unpacking setup2.box, then fails saying it can't write to
the folder - probably because it has made it RO!

Note to anyone who suggests various methods to burn a DVD; this issue is
about unpacking the files, not burning them.

Nigel M

We need Windows 7 groups on the Microfoft News Server!
mikeyhsd

Re: Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking
any reason to not suspect your download site has corrupted files.

have you asked them.
about your problem.

mikeyhsd@lamparty.net

"Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message news:v4e0e55l8t1mqo8d33e6j2in3609m10avd@4ax.com...
[...]

Dave

Re: Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking
In article <v4e0e55l8t1mqo8d33e6j2in3609m10avd@4ax.com>,
reply@thegroup.email.invalid says...
> In our household we have two students, and so ordered a copy of Windows 7
> Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium in both x64 and x86 versions - a
> total of 4 products from Digital River.

How did you get to the Pro on DR? The link from 741.com takes you to
the Home Premium Upgrade. I couldn't find the Pro upgrade.
Leroy

Re: Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking
Please repost your question in the Windows 7 Answers Forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
> In our household we have two students, and so ordered a copy of Windows 7
> Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium in both x64 and x86 versions - a
> total of 4 products from Digital River.
>
> Having used their download manager to download these files, I now have 6
> files: 4 .exe files (as expected) plus 2 files named setup1.box and
> setup2.box.
>
> The .exe files are, however, only just over 70KB each, setup1.box is almost
> 3GB and setup2.box is 163KB.
>
> Running the Home Premium versions fails immediately, saying it can't find
> the required files. Running the Pro x64 .exe file starts to build a .iso
> file ("Unloading the box"), but then fails with an unspecified error.
>
> [Later] I've now re-downloaded a single Pro 64 version, moved it to another
> drive, taken full permissions, and run the .exe file in elevated mode. It
> now gets as far as unpacking setup2.box, then fails saying it can't write to
> the folder - probably because it has made it RO!
>
> Note to anyone who suggests various methods to burn a DVD; this issue is
> about unpacking the files, not burning them.
>

> Nigel M
>
> We need Windows 7 groups on the Microfoft News Server!

luke

Re: Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking

There is a part that says "Need to join your school's domain?" Click on
that and it will change your version to Win 7 Professional.

--
luke
Richard Urban

"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Please repost your question in the Windows 7 Answers Forum:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
>

> Nigel Molesworth wrote:
>> In our household we have two students, and so ordered a copy of Windows 7
>> Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium in both x64 and x86 versions - a
>> total of 4 products from Digital River.
>>
>> Having used their download manager to download these files, I now have 6
>> files: 4 .exe files (as expected) plus 2 files named setup1.box and
>> setup2.box. The .exe files are, however, only just over 70KB each,
>> setup1.box is almost
>> 3GB and setup2.box is 163KB.
>>
>> Running the Home Premium versions fails immediately, saying it can't find
>> the required files. Running the Pro x64 .exe file starts to build a .iso
>> file ("Unloading the box"), but then fails with an unspecified error.
>> [Later] I've now re-downloaded a single Pro 64 version, moved it to
>> another
>> drive, taken full permissions, and run the .exe file in elevated mode. It
>> now gets as far as unpacking setup2.box, then fails saying it can't write
>> the folder - probably because it has made it RO! Note to anyone who
>> suggests various methods to burn a DVD; this issue is
>> about unpacking the files, not burning them.
>>

>> Nigel M
>>
>> We need Windows 7 groups on the Microfoft News Server!

The question has nothing to do with Windows 7. It has to do with downloading
and utilizing that which was downloaded.

Get a life now!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Leroy

Re: Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking
The question the OP asked has been addressed in the Windows 7 Answers
Forum. That is why he was requested to visit that site.

See:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-a13fe03f0632

Richard Urban wrote:
> "Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Please repost your question in the Windows 7 Answers Forum:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
>>

>> Nigel Molesworth wrote:
>>> In our household we have two students, and so ordered a copy of
>>> Windows 7
>>> Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium in both x64 and x86 versions - a
>>> total of 4 products from Digital River.
>>>
>>> Having used their download manager to download these files, I now have 6
>>> files: 4 .exe files (as expected) plus 2 files named setup1.box and
>>> setup2.box. The .exe files are, however, only just over 70KB each,
>>> setup1.box is almost
>>> 3GB and setup2.box is 163KB.
>>>
>>> Running the Home Premium versions fails immediately, saying it can't
>>> find
>>> the required files. Running the Pro x64 .exe file starts to build a .iso
>>> file ("Unloading the box"), but then fails with an unspecified error.
>>> [Later] I've now re-downloaded a single Pro 64 version, moved it to
>>> another
>>> drive, taken full permissions, and run the .exe file in elevated
>>> mode. It
>>> now gets as far as unpacking setup2.box, then fails saying it can't
>>> write to
>>> the folder - probably because it has made it RO! Note to anyone who
>>> suggests various methods to burn a DVD; this issue is
>>> about unpacking the files, not burning them.
>>>

>>> Nigel M
>>>
>>> We need Windows 7 groups on the Microfoft News Server!

> The question has nothing to do with Windows 7. It has to do with
> downloading and utilizing that which was downloaded.
>
> Get a life now!

Richard Urban

> The question the OP asked has been addressed in the Windows 7 Answers
> Forum. That is why he was requested to visit that site.
>
> See:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-a13fe03f0632
>

> Richard Urban wrote:
>> "Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Please repost your question in the Windows 7 Answers Forum:
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

>> The question has nothing to do with Windows 7. It has to do with
>> downloading and utilizing that which was downloaded.
>>
>> Get a life now!

It was still a generic question that could have been placed in a Windows XP
newsgroup. It was operating system agnostic.

Get a life!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience & Security

Leroy

Re: Windows 7 downloads from Digital River: unpacking
The OO's inquiry was promptly answered in the Windows 7 Answers Forum.