Vista 64x - unable to restore, repair or reinstall on a new drive

stephenbuck415

Vista 64x - unable to restore, repair or reinstall on a new drive

The other morning I was met with a blue screen and several error codes.
I have attempted to correct the situation on my own following what
instructions I have been able to find and have made no progress.

The problem is that Vista 64x crashed and I am unable to install it on
a brand new internal hard drive.

System Specs:
The install disk is Build 6001: Service Pack 1.
Intel DX58SO
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67
BIOS: SOX5810J.86A.4196.2009.0715.1958 (default settings, this is the
curent bios as of Oct. 19, 2009)
6GB Corsair RAM
Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
1 Seagate internal SATA 1.5 TB
1 Dell S2409W 24" HD 1080p Monitor
Corsair Power Supply 1000w
Cable Internet

The corrective action taken thus far is:
- Using the original Vista 64-bit install disk, attempted to repair the
system. It found a bug but was unable to repair it. I did not record the
bug code.
- Using the original Vista 64-bit install disk, formatted the C drive
and attempted to re-install Vista 64-bit. I was unable to get to the
point to install the software because of a similar blue screen.
- Not knowing what to do, I went to a local store and bought a new C
drive. The new drive has been installed and all other drives have been
detached from the board and power supply. Using an old laptop, I went to
the Intel site and downloaded the most current BIOS. I successfully
installed the new BIOS on the clean system. When attempting to install
V64 onto the new drive (with no other drives connected or powered) I get
the attached blue
screen.

--- STEPS TAKEN ---
Removed all peripherals attached to PC. Removed all RAM. Dusted
everything.
Installed only one 2gb ram card
Attached one monitor.
Attempted to Boot from DVd and got the same bluescreen as original
attachment (same error code):
STOP: 0X0000001e ( 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, OxFFFFF8000A4AE523,
0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 )
Restarted System

On restart, attempted to Boot from dvd
pressed F8
got message: Windows is loading files
selected the option to RUN WINDOWS IN SAFE MODE
Received screen message: loading files

The first install screen opened (language, time and currency, keyboard
or input method). Left options at default.
Pressed Next.
Chose Install Now.
System Message: Please wait...
System Message: Type your product key for activation. (Entered product
key).
Checked "I accept the license terms".
Which type of installation?
- Custom (advanced)
- upgrade disabled (no other options are available)
Next Screen:
Display: Disk 0 Partition 1 1397.3GB
Selected Next
System Message: copying files
System Message: expanding files
System Message: installed in safe mode, restarting
During restart the system flashed to a blue screen with new codes and
automatically restarted. Unable to retrieve codes.

Attempted to start windows in safe mode.
Received windows error message when loading windows:
The computer restarted unexpedly or encountered an unexpected error.
Windows installation can not proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to
restart the computer, and then restart the installation drive.

---- COMMENTS ---
I reinstalled all 6GB of RAM.

Subsequent install attempts allowed me to get to the point where
Windows asks the user to enter a User Name and Password. I entered a
username, Buck-i7, no password, pressed Okay or Next, and then the
system crashed with a blue screen and then automatically restarted. Each
time I repeated the process to get to that point, I attempted to enter
the original user name but the system indicated it was in use.

--
stephenbuck415
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista 64x - unable to restore, repair or reinstall on a new drive
Hi,

Either you have a faulty component, or some piece of hardware attached to
the system is not natively supported. I have seen several instances where
having onboard IE1394 (firewire) enabled has halted installations. Make sure
to disable non-essential onboard components when troubleshooting. Otherwise,
I'd say you have a faulty motherboard, power supply, or cpu. As well, there
is a known timing issue with installing Vistax64 when all 4 memory slots are
filled, try only 2 matched modules in bank 0.

Incidentally, updating a BIOS has nothing to do with the hard drive. This
process places a new set of instructions on the motherboard's BIOS chipset.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"stephenbuck415" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> automatically restarted. Unable to retrieve codes.
>
> Attempted to start windows in safe mode.
> Received windows error message when loading windows:
> The computer restarted unexpedly or encountered an unexpected error.
> Windows installation can not proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to
> restart the computer, and then restart the installation drive.
>
> ---- COMMENTS ---
> I reinstalled all 6GB of RAM.
>
> Subsequent install attempts allowed me to get to the point where
> Windows asks the user to enter a User Name and Password. I entered a
> username, Buck-i7, no password, pressed Okay or Next, and then the
> system crashed with a blue screen and then automatically restarted. Each
> time I repeated the process to get to that point, I attempted to enter
> the original user name but the system indicated it was in use.

Richard Urban

Re: Vista 64x - unable to restore, repair or reinstall on a new drive
"stephenbuck415" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> The other morning I was met with a blue screen and several error codes.
> I have attempted to correct the situation on my own following what
> instructions I have been able to find and have made no progress.
>
> The problem is that Vista 64x crashed and I am unable to install it on
> a brand new internal hard drive.

SNIPPED

> --- STEPS TAKEN ---
> Removed all peripherals attached to PC. Removed all RAM. Dusted
> everything.
> Installed only one 2gb ram card
> Attached one monitor.
> Attempted to Boot from DVd and got the same bluescreen as original
> attachment (same error code):
> STOP: 0X0000001e ( 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, OxFFFFF8000A4AE523,
> 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 )
> Restarted System
>
> On restart, attempted to Boot from dvd
> pressed F8
> got message: Windows is loading files
> selected the option to RUN WINDOWS IN SAFE MODE
> Received screen message: loading files
>
> The first install screen opened (language, time and currency, keyboard
> or input method). Left options at default.
> Pressed Next.
> Chose Install Now.
> System Message: Please wait...
> System Message: Type your product key for activation. (Entered product
> key).
> Checked "I accept the license terms".
> Which type of installation?
> - Custom (advanced)
> - upgrade disabled (no other options are available)
> Next Screen:
> Display: Disk 0 Partition 1 1397.3GB

YOU MISSED A BIG STEP HERE!

You need to create a new partition and then format the partition before you
press the "Next" button!

> Selected Next

SNIPPED

--