Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?

Nigel Molesworth

Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?
I have several full retail copies of Windows Vista that I will no longer
need when I install full retail versions of Windows 7.

I plan to sell the copies of Vista, but I don't want the buyers to have
problems when they activate it. I know there is a Re-Activation Timeout for
Vista, but I can't remember if it is 90 or 10 days? Can anyone point me to a
reliable source to confirm this? Also, is there a way to tell when
activation on a given PC took place?

BTW, I live in the UK, so please don't tell me that the EULA prohibits my
selling the software, this does not apply anywhere in the EU.

--

Nigel M

If I'm discussing apples, please don't suggest bananas
Malke

Re: Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

> I have several full retail copies of Windows Vista that I will no longer
> need when I install full retail versions of Windows 7.
>
> I plan to sell the copies of Vista, but I don't want the buyers to have
> problems when they activate it. I know there is a Re-Activation Timeout
> for Vista, but I can't remember if it is 90 or 10 days? Can anyone point
> me to a reliable source to confirm this? Also, is there a way to tell when
> activation on a given PC took place?
>
> BTW, I live in the UK, so please don't tell me that the EULA prohibits my
> selling the software, this does not apply anywhere in the EU.

There is no reason even in the US why you can't sell full retail copies of
any Windows operating system so I won't tell you otherwise. The buyers will
have no problem activating them. The old rule was 120 days but I don't know
if this is applicable to Vista. In any case, it doesn't matter. If automatic
activation fails (and it probably won't), all the buyer will need to do is
use the telephone activation option. This only takes a few minutes and is no
big deal. You can tell the buyers that.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:58:12 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>The old rule was 120 days but I don't know if this is applicable to Vista.

> Does anyone else know, for sure?

Contact Microsoft and ask them.

>>In any case, it doesn't matter. If automatic activation fails ..

> It does in this case.

If you think it does, then find out for sure from Microsoft or don't take the
chance and sell the discs.

EOT for me.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jimsing59

Re: Activation of Vista Timeout?

It can be sold and re activated. No problem.

--
jimsing59
jimsing59's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/150788.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

LanceIot

Re: Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?

Check out this link, this will help you:-
'_http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx_'
(http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/...vationfaq.mspx)

--
LanceIot

::*Lancelot*::
*::::*
*please rep anyone who helps you. *
LanceIot

jimsing59;1181477 Wrote:
> It can be sold and re activated. No problem.
>

> --
> jimsing59
> jimsing59's Profile: 'jimsing59's profile on TechArena Computer
> Hardware Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/members/150788.htm)
> View this thread: 'Activation of Vista Timeout? - Vista Setup and
> Install' (http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1259870.htm)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

I do not think this is actually quite correct. If a copy if used, it
may be deleted from one computer and installed on another computer,
provided the OS was not preinstalled on the said computer.

However, if a programme is registered in a persons name, the ownership
of the OS cannot be transferred to a third party. If it has never been
registered there should not be a problem, but I think it is Microsoft
that you should be talking to and not this forum, to ensure you are not
infringing any of Microsofts copyrights.

--
LanceIot

::*Lancelot*::
*::::*
*please rep anyone who helps you. *
dgmarsh1

Re: Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?

OK, I am new to this posting game and am NOT on the forum I need, but I
can't seen to get into the one I need.:cry:

So, maybe whoever reads this will know the problem and help!!

Our other laptop (also vista) hangs at Welcome. It does start up in
safe mode and in safe mode networking.
We've done all the usual reboots including removing the battery pack
several times.
Then we went to CCleaner, did all the cleaning that we were sure would
not wipe out important stuff. Then we disabled all the startups (except
Dell support whhich was accidently left enabled). It still hangs. We
will disable Dell and try that, but the odds seem slim.

Any suggestions?

--
dgmarsh1
R. C. White

Re: Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?
Hi, dgmarsh1.

> OK, I am new to this posting game and am NOT on the forum I need, but I
> can't seen to get into the one I need.:cry:

Rather that post to "the forum", which simply forwards your post to the
Microsoft public news server (and collects click-ad revenue along the way),
where it is available to me and other Usenet users around the world, why not
"cut out the middleman" and post directly to this server yourself. It's
free and does not require you to log on. And you won't be waiting for
messages to be relayed back and forth, resulting in posts that are delayed,
out of sequence or simply lost.

To see for yourself, just click here:

That once click will (1) start your default newsreader; (2) create a News
Account for you on the Microsoft public news server; (3) connect you to THIS
newsgroup; (4) download the 300 latest messages here (probably including
THIS one); and (5) display the newest message here for you to read. After
some familiarity, you can customize the newsreader in many ways to fit the
way YOU want to use it.

Try It. I think you'll like it. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"dgmarsh1" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> OK, I am new to this posting game and am NOT on the forum I need, but I
> can't seen to get into the one I need.:cry:
>
> So, maybe whoever reads this will know the problem and help!!
>
> Our other laptop (also vista) hangs at Welcome. It does start up in
> safe mode and in safe mode networking.
> We've done all the usual reboots including removing the battery pack
> several times.
> Then we went to CCleaner, did all the cleaning that we were sure would
> not wipe out important stuff. Then we disabled all the startups (except
> Dell support whhich was accidently left enabled). It still hangs. We
> will disable Dell and try that, but the odds seem slim.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> dgmarsh1

Al

Re: Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?
Title of post is misleading - failure to start "normally" but safe mode is
successful indicates a driver problem (90% of the time). You make no
mention of trying System Restore - also activate boot logging and check the
log.

Luan Pham

Re: Re-Activation of Vista Timeout?
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:59:20 -0600, dgmarsh1 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Our other laptop (also vista) hangs at Welcome. It does start up in
>safe mode and in safe mode networking.
>We've done all the usual reboots including removing the battery pack
>several times.

Look like your HD or External HD about to fail. I had seen this when
my 320 GB HD about to crash.