Dual Boot Vista HP x64/ Vista Ultimate x32

Location: Ontario Canada
wildflower is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dual Boot Vista HP x64/ Vista Ultimate x32
I bought this laptop recently and it is a x64 machine and I am now trying to install a full version of Vista Ultimate x32 on a second partition. I followed the instructions here : Install more than one operating system (multiboot)
and found that it seemed to be installing to the C drive and replacing my OEM copy of Vista HP x64. (I read the instructions at MS for what can be installed with x64 Vista and another copy of Vista is not included, but I've read online that many other people have no problem running 2 copies of Vista as long as they have different product keys.)

So instead I tried to install by booting from the DVD and when I entered my product key I received a message that this copy of Windows could only be installed from within my current copy of Vista. I then tried it without entering the product key, but received the same message. So back to installing it from within Vista HP and it seemed fine until it started the reboot process.

1. each time the computer rebooted during the installation, it took me back through the entire installation starting with clicking "Install Windows" then entering the product key, update, choose partition, etc
2. when it got to each section of the installation it went through each step, each time. eg: Install files, expand files, install features, etc.
3. After 7 reboots I could see the HDD Partition space on the D drive was getting smaller and smaller until it had only 10 MB left of the original 50 MB.

So I removed the installation disk and rebooted and found I had seven copies of "Microsoft Windows Vista" on the boot menu, none of which allowed me to boot into my original copy of Vista HP. So I used the installation DVD to "repair computer" and after rebooting several times was able to access my original copy of Windows.

I looked at the D drive from My Computer and there were 8 copies of Windows.old starting from Windows.old to Windows.old.007

I checked each copy's properties and got the following:

a folder $Windows.~BT which I assumed were the preinstallation files

size 14.2 MB (14,974,114 bytes)
size on disk 14.3 MB (15,060,992 bytes)
contains 48 files 30 folders

old -
size 129 bytes (129 bytes)
size on disk 4.00 KB (4096 bytes)
contains 1 files 2 folders

000 - 11.25.39 PM
size 7.55 gb (8,108,101,147)
size on disk 7.62gb (8,186,085,376)
contains 39,196 files 6,987 folders

001 - 11.44.37 PM
size 7.55 gb (8,108,099,544)
size on disk 7.62gb (8,186,085,376)
contains 39,196 files 6,987 folders

002 - 12.04.26 AM
size 7.55 gb (8,108,099,544)
size on disk 7.62gb (8,186,085,376)
contains 39,196 files 6,987 folders

003 - 12.25.05 AM
size 7.55 gb (8,108,099,544)
size on disk 7.62gb (8,186,085,376)
contains 39,196 files 6,987 folders

004 - 12.48.11 AM
size 7.55 gb (8,108,102,274)
size on disk 7.62gb (8,186,085,376)
contains 39,196 files 6,987 folders

005 - 1.11.41 AM
size 7.57 gb (8,129,848,323)
size on disk 7.64gb (8,208,424,960)
contains 39,418 files 7,082 folders

006 - 1.32.10 AM
size 7.57 gb (8,129,848,323)
size on disk 7.64gb (8,208,424,960)
contains 39,418 files 7,082 folders

007 - 1.54.02 AM
size 7.57 gb (8,129,848,323)
size on disk 7.64gb (8,208,424,960)
contains 39,418 files 7,082 folders

on the C Drive were 2 folders

$Windows.~BT which I assumed were the preinstallation files

size 335 MB (352,047,200 bytes)
size on disk 342 MB (359,272,448 bytes)
contains 3,625 files 651 folders

$Windows.~LS
which I assumed was my last good configuration that I went back to when I repaired it.

Size 0 bytes (0 bytes)
Size on disk 0 bytes ( 0 bytes)
contains 0 files 2 folders

When I repaired the computer it removed all of the menu items and when I used msconfig to look at the boot, the only entry was for Vista HP. What I was hoping to do was to get access to the D drive and then finish the installation of Vista Ultimate x32. I want Vista x32 because there are several pieces of software and addons I am unable to use on this 64 BIT computer including Adobe Flash even though I'm using Firefox and IE 7 x32.

I have several questions now.

1. Using a third party boot loader such as EasyBCD do you think it will be possible to access these installations?

2.Can I delete some of these partial copies of Vista Ultimate and still have access to the others?

3. If so, which ones would you recommend I delete and should I rename the ones I keep?

4. Should I wait to reinstall Vista Ultimate until I receive Windows 7 and install it, so that I only have one good copy of Vista on my HDD?

5. Or should I just format the drive and forget the whole idea?

Thanks for any help you can give me