vista drive does not exist

phate

vista drive does not exist

Hey everyone,
I'm looking at my computer after it crashed. I've went in and did
format C:.
After that it went through and did its thing and seemed fine. Then I
tried to install vista. I selected no product key, and home premium and
then it asked where i would like to install windows. There was nothing
there. I looked online for driver software for the hard drive and on
the CD that came with the mother board. After trying to look around I
installed Ubuntu thinking it might read it. It did it worked fine
started up and installed fine. Now I still need Vista and the
installation CD does not work on the partition. When i try to do a
format i get error message [Error:0x80004005]. At the bottom it says
windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be
installed to a partition formatted as NTFS. Also my original drive C:
is gone. There is no main drive when I try to do a format. Any hellp
is very appreciated.

--
phate
phate's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138339.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

R. C. White

Re: vista drive does not exist
Hi, phate.

> I'm looking at my computer after it crashed. I've went in and did
> format C:.

HOW did you format C:?

When you boot from the Vista DVD-ROM, one of the options should be to create
one or more partitions on your hard disk drive and then to format it - or
them. Vista will not install to unformatted space.

The word "drive" is used in many different ways, just as "left" can mean the
left foot or to be left behind. "Drive" can mean either the physical drive,
or a partition on that physical drive.

When we "format a drive", we almost always mean that we format a single
partition on that drive. But, before we can format the partition, we must
create it. After Vista is installed, we can use Disk Management to create,
format, delete and otherwise manage partitions and hard drives. During
installation, we can use the tools built into the DVD. We don't need any
other tools.

Boot from the DVD (Vista is much bigger than WinXP and will not fit on a CD)
and carefully read and follow the instructions. If you get an error
message, please post it here VERBATIM; don't paraphrase. We need to know
exactly what the error message says. Also, tell us at least a little about
your computer (make and model) or about your motherboard/CPU/etc., if you
built it yourself, including the kind of hard disk (IDE? SATA?).

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX