Online but Vista install says "Cannot connect to the internet"

shutterred is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Online but Vista install says "Cannot connect to the internet"
Please help! I am trying to do a clean installation of Vista Ultimate over XP Pro. I have a good internet signal. BUT when the installation gets to “Get important updates for installation” page I select “Go online to get the latest updates for installation” then it says it “cannot connect to the internet” and “…was unable to download update files at this time.” Therefore it was not able to download the updates to install with the Vista installation. I turned off the anti-virus software & firewall. I went into tools in IE, added Microsoft to trusted sites & to allow cookies. I even tried making FireFox the default browser, but that didn’t change anything. (This is not just with Vista. I just realized my Carbonite online back-up is saying it is “waiting to connect to the server” even though I am connected to the internet. I tried to deactivate Adobe InDesign & it says it is “Unable to connect.”) I don’t know what else I need to do but something is blocking programs from connecting to the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to install Vista & updates at the same time because all I have read has told me it is better & avoids errors & security risks. PLEASE HELP!!!
Curious

Re: Online but Vista install says "Cannot connect to the internet"
Go ahead and finish the installation without updating from the internet and
then run WinUpdate after the installation is up and running?

"shutterred" <shutterred.3zrpc6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:shutterred.3zrpc6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Please help! I am trying to do a clean installation of Vista Ultimate
> over XP Pro. I have a good internet signal. BUT when the installation
> gets to "Get important updates for installation" page I select "Go
> online to get the latest updates for installation" then it says it
> "cannot connect to the internet" and ".was unable to download update
> files at this time." Therefore it was not able to download the updates
> to install with the Vista installation. I turned off the anti-virus
> software & firewall. I went into tools in IE, added Microsoft to
> trusted sites & to allow cookies. I even tried making FireFox the
> default browser, but that didn't change anything. (This is not just
> with Vista. I just realized my Carbonite online back-up is saying it is
> "waiting to connect to the server" even though I am connected to the
> internet. I tried to deactivate Adobe InDesign & it says it is "Unable
> to connect.") I don't know what else I need to do but something is
> blocking programs from connecting to the internet.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to install Vista & updates at
> the same time because all I have read has told me it is better & avoids
> errors & security risks. PLEASE HELP!!!
>

> --
> shutterred

DL

Re: Online but Vista install says "Cannot connect to the internet"
Oops
You dont do a clean installation by installing over an existing
installation, for a clean installation you boot with the win cd, delete
any/all partitions then continue

"shutterred" <shutterred.3zrpc6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:shutterred.3zrpc6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Please help! I am trying to do a clean installation of Vista Ultimate
> over XP Pro. I have a good internet signal. BUT when the installation
> gets to "Get important updates for installation" page I select "Go
> online to get the latest updates for installation" then it says it
> "cannot connect to the internet" and ".was unable to download update
> files at this time." Therefore it was not able to download the updates
> to install with the Vista installation. I turned off the anti-virus
> software & firewall. I went into tools in IE, added Microsoft to
> trusted sites & to allow cookies. I even tried making FireFox the
> default browser, but that didn't change anything. (This is not just
> with Vista. I just realized my Carbonite online back-up is saying it is
> "waiting to connect to the server" even though I am connected to the
> internet. I tried to deactivate Adobe InDesign & it says it is "Unable
> to connect.") I don't know what else I need to do but something is
> blocking programs from connecting to the internet.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to install Vista & updates at
> the same time because all I have read has told me it is better & avoids
> errors & security risks. PLEASE HELP!!!
>

> --
> shutterred

Curious

Re: Online but Vista install says "Cannot connect to the internet"
You can do a clean replacement installation into a partition containing an
existing installation. The files from the old installation are placed in a
folder called Windows.Old on the desktop of the new clean installation.
You can then copy from the Windows.Old folder those data files that you want
to your new installation. and then delete the Windows.old folder. You do
have to reinstall your programs in the new installation since the program
registry entries from the old installation can not be used. Many users call
this overwriting or writing over the old OS installation instead of calling
it replacement installation.