Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O

JayD

Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O

Hi fellow Tekky's [image:
http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Ski...ons/Smile.gif]

Well Ive come to a bit of a problem on my sister's Acer M1640

it had Vista home premium on it 32bit

she had a key logger hack one of her game accounts not sure which but
anyhow, the pc didn't come with and CD's so im wanting to put Ultimate
32bit on with a new Product key. As she wants to start fresh.

basically the original CD DVD/RW drive was 1st coming up with "your CD
doesn't have the correct drivers" i was thinking well hows that work
when its in device manager and u can boot this CD to get to this stage
o_O.

so i put in a DVD/RW IDE drive booted from that... went in fine press
enter to install F8 to agree to T+C's etc... then it says "where do you
want to install windows Vista?"

there are no drives listed (The BIOS see's the drive) o_O

any ideas?

Ive tried with an XP disk too and nothing (both genuine Copy's of the
OS's)

Also Ive tried looking for the AHCI and SATA selection in the BIOS but
there is no option for this.

--
JayD
theog

Re: Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O

Hi jayD

Have look at this tutorial:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...ion-vista.html

At part 10 load drivers for sata driver:

'Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads,
Desktop, Acer Aspire M1640/M3640/M5640'
(http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...ire_m5640.html)

--
theog
Malke

JayD wrote:

> Hi fellow Tekky's [image:

http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Ski...ons/Smile.gif]

> Well Ive come to a bit of a problem on my sister's Acer M1640
>
> it had Vista home premium on it 32bit
>
> she had a key logger hack one of her game accounts not sure which but
> anyhow, the pc didn't come with and CD's so im wanting to put Ultimate
> 32bit on with a new Product key. As she wants to start fresh.
>

> basically the original CD DVD/RW drive was 1st coming up with "your CD
> doesn't have the correct drivers" i was thinking well hows that work
> when its in device manager and u can boot this CD to get to this stage
> o_O.
>
> so i put in a DVD/RW IDE drive booted from that... went in fine press
> enter to install F8 to agree to T+C's etc... then it says "where do you
> want to install windows Vista?"
>
> there are no drives listed (The BIOS see's the drive) o_O
>
> any ideas?
>

> Ive tried with an XP disk too and nothing (both genuine Copy's of the
> OS's)
>
> Also Ive tried looking for the AHCI and SATA selection in the BIOS but
> there is no option for this.

Your sister's Acer will have come with a recovery image on a special
partition. Refer to the computer manual or call Acer tech support to see how
to restore her computer to factory condition.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

JayD

Re: Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O

Thanks for the responses

Although that's what i would have thought as thats what came on my HDD
too but this didn't o_O im not sure if she didn't realize what it was
and formatted the partition or not.

ill try loading those SATA driver you pointed me too thanks

--
JayD
Malke

JayD wrote:

> Thanks for the responses
>
> Although that's what i would have thought as thats what came on my HDD
> too but this didn't o_O im not sure if she didn't realize what it was
> and formatted the partition or not.
>

> ill try loading those SATA driver you pointed me too thanks

You will still be better off using Acer recovery software. Contact them and
purchase a recovery disc set. This is usually very inexpensive, around
$20-25. This way you will have all the correct drivers, laptop management
software, DVD burning programs, etc. Unfortunately you'll also have all the
preinstalled cr*p to get rid of, but it's very important with laptops that
you have all the right power mgmt. sw, etc. Totally your choice of course,
but on the Thinkpad I just did from scratch there were roughly 30
drivers/programs to download and install from Lenovo afterwards. It's your
time and you can spend it the way you want, of course!

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

JayD

Re: Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O

Fixed

--
JayD

theog

Re: Setup doesnt see drive BIOS does o_O

Hi jayD

That is good to here.

--
theog

BIOS setup screen in loop after resetting to factory specs on Inspiron 1525 Daniel G. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 04-10-2009 15:00
can't reach BIOS setup gremme microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 12 06-07-2008 00:19
BIOS setup... vasso Software Problems 4 03-24-2008 14:30
BIOS SETUP PASSWORD John microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 11-29-2007 15:55
BIOS RAM SETUP Andrew McLaren microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-25-2007 10:33