windows vista

scottie

windows vista

Hi everyone I have a multitude of problems with my vista and I am hoping
somebody may be able to help.
1st keeps coming up updates avaialble then crashing and saying code
4397.
2nd microsoft keeps coming up saying not working tried going to the
solution it opts for then it closes what ever you are on,also it may
just freeze and close then goes into tab to be recovered.
3rd keep getting alsorts of pop ups when I go into security my firewall
is always turned off even though I turn it on run scan says computer
fine then go into tools says pop blocker on and yet not working please
please fed up with this.
4th takes absoultley ages a good 10mins for our compouter to turn on.
we are currently with virgin broadband who provide security told them
about it they say our problem?????? anybody out there that can help and
put it plainly to a non computer person I would be really grateful many
thanks

--
scottie
scottie's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/141303.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

Re: windows vista
scottie wrote:

> Hi everyone I have a multitude of problems with my vista and I am hoping
> somebody may be able to help.
> 1st keeps coming up updates avaialble then crashing and saying code
> 4397.
> 2nd microsoft keeps coming up saying not working tried going to the
> solution it opts for then it closes what ever you are on,also it may
> just freeze and close then goes into tab to be recovered.
> 3rd keep getting alsorts of pop ups when I go into security my firewall
> is always turned off even though I turn it on run scan says computer
> fine then go into tools says pop blocker on and yet not working please
> please fed up with this.
> 4th takes absoultley ages a good 10mins for our compouter to turn on.
> we are currently with virgin broadband who provide security told them
> about it they say our problem?????? anybody out there that can help and
> put it plainly to a non computer person I would be really grateful many
> thanks

Although hardware issues could be involved, it sounds like your computer is
severely infected. At this point your should back up your data and do a
clean install/factory restore of Windows. Do not go back online without the
latest Service Pack, a good antivirus (NOD32 or Avast free or Avira free),
and a knowledge of how to stay safe on the Internet (links below).

Since you say you are a "non computer [sic] person", probably the best
solution will be for you to take the machine to a competent local tech.
Don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

Safe Hex:
http://www.getsafeonline.org/
https://www.mysecurecyberspace.com/
http://www.getnetwise.org/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/staying-safe.pdf

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

gregg

Re: windows vista

> scottie wrote:
>

>> Hi everyone I have a multitude of problems with my vista and I am hoping
>> somebody may be able to help.
>> 1st keeps coming up updates avaialble then crashing and saying code
>> 4397.
>> 2nd microsoft keeps coming up saying not working tried going to the
>> solution it opts for then it closes what ever you are on,also it may
>> just freeze and close then goes into tab to be recovered.
>> 3rd keep getting alsorts of pop ups when I go into security my firewall
>> is always turned off even though I turn it on run scan says computer
>> fine then go into tools says pop blocker on and yet not working please
>> please fed up with this.
>> 4th takes absoultley ages a good 10mins for our compouter to turn on.
>> we are currently with virgin broadband who provide security told them
>> about it they say our problem?????? anybody out there that can help and
>> put it plainly to a non computer person I would be really grateful many
>> thanks

> Although hardware issues could be involved, it sounds like your computer
> is
> severely infected. At this point your should back up your data and do a
> clean install/factory restore of Windows. Do not go back online without
> the
> latest Service Pack, a good antivirus (NOD32 or Avast free or Avira free),
> and a knowledge of how to stay safe on the Internet (links below).
>
> Since you say you are a "non computer [sic] person", probably the best
> solution will be for you to take the machine to a competent local tech.
> Don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.
>
> Safe Hex:
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/
> https://www.mysecurecyberspace.com/
> http://www.getnetwise.org/
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/staying-safe.pdf
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

If it is severely infected, probably the best solution would be just to
format and restore to original condition. This is something most any user
could attempt.

Malke

Re: windows vista
gregg wrote:

> If it is severely infected, probably the best solution would be just to
> format and restore to original condition. This is something most any user
> could attempt.

Yes. That's exactly what I already said. As for whether doing a clean
install is "something most any user could attempt", that determination is up
to the OP. As someone who does computer tech support for a living, I can
tell you that many people who are enormously talented and clever in their
own field would not feel comfortable installing an operating system. It's all
about what is best for the individual, isn't it?

Malke