What free backup progs can I use with a Verbatim 500Mb desktop drive

martin j

What free backup progs can I use with a Verbatim 500Mb desktop drive
Sorry,may not be best place to post this,but I've just replaced a
failed Maxtor drive with the Verbatim.
It came with Nero BackItUp 4 which after using the Maxtor software
looks overly complex and slow.
What's Vista Home Premium backup like?
Could I use the Maxtor with this brand of drive or would it refuse to
work?
Thanks,

Martin J
philo

Re: What free backup progs can I use with a Verbatim 500Mb desktop drive

"martin j" <mjohnconnor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry,may not be best place to post this,but I've just replaced a
> failed Maxtor drive with the Verbatim.
> It came with Nero BackItUp 4 which after using the Maxtor software
> looks overly complex and slow.
> What's Vista Home Premium backup like?
> Could I use the Maxtor with this brand of drive or would it refuse to
> work?
> Thanks,
>
> Martin J

I really advise against using any backup software.

Just copy the data directly to the 2nd drive

and get in the habit of doing so often.

Create folders in any way that's convenient to you.

If the data is simply copied "intact"
it can easily be recovered from another machine

Richard Urban

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "martin j" <mjohnconnor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry,may not be best place to post this,but I've just replaced a
>> failed Maxtor drive with the Verbatim.
>> It came with Nero BackItUp 4 which after using the Maxtor software
>> looks overly complex and slow.
>> What's Vista Home Premium backup like?
>> Could I use the Maxtor with this brand of drive or would it refuse to
>> work?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Martin J

> I really advise against using any backup software.
>
> Just copy the data directly to the 2nd drive
>
> and get in the habit of doing so often.
>
> Create folders in any way that's convenient to you.
>
> If the data is simply copied "intact"
> it can easily be recovered from another machine

Agreed!!

If you just copy over your data, and subsequently suffer from a bad disk
cluster or data corruption, you may lose a few files. If you have a 100 meg
backup file, containing many hundreds of files, you will lose access to
every file if the same condition occurs.

That being said, you can use SyncToy 2.0 from Microsoft. I have been using
it for a few years now to copy my pertinent files to an external drive.

Go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en
and find the 32 bit or 64 bit downloads near the bottom of the page.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP