Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista

John Navas

Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
Since there is no In Place upgrade of Windows XP to Windows 7, I'm
thinking of upgrading Windows XP to Windows Vista and then Windows Vista
to Windows 7, in part because Newegg has a good deal on Windows Vista
with a Windows 7 coupon:
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116673&cm_re=windows_vi sta-_-32-116-673-_-Product>

Does anyone know for sure if this System Builders OEM product will
perform an In Place upgrade of Windows XP? Or will it only do a Clean
Install? Thanks.

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:43:35 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Since there is no In Place upgrade of Windows XP to Windows 7, I'm
> thinking of upgrading Windows XP to Windows Vista and then Windows Vista
> to Windows 7,

Ugh! Doing a double upgrade is not only extra work, but just looking
for trouble.

> in part because Newegg has a good deal on Windows Vista
> with a Windows 7 coupon:
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116673&cm_re=windows_vi sta-_-32-116-673-_-Product>
>
> Does anyone know for sure if this System Builders OEM product will
> perform an In Place upgrade of Windows XP? Or will it only do a Clean
> Install? Thanks.

OEM versions do clean installations only, never upgrades.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bruce Chambers

John Navas wrote:

> Does anyone know for sure if this System Builders OEM product will
> perform an In Place upgrade of Windows XP? Or will it only do a Clean
> Install? Thanks.

An OEM DVD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an earlier OS, as it
was specifically designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty hard drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
STAN STARINSKI

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
You will end up in a VERY dirty harddisk.
Just get Vista Full Install OEM.
Clean instll warrants better life in the future.
Both from Theoretical knowledge (mine) and Practical problems (other people
whom I've read plenty over the years) upgrade is always dirtier and less
efficient than clean install.
People who converted for example FAT32 into NTFS many years ago when if you
remember we were going from Win95/98/NT/2000 to WinXP, were not doing the
right thing if it was done on an already heavily used/full harddisk.
You have todo these things on a new or slightly use machine, or do the clean
install.

Don';t go thru 100 upgrades.
Do a single full install.
Why is it difficult to get Win7 OEM full install?
ZipZoomFly or NewEgg are good sources of OEM.
ZipZoomFly sold me WinXP OEM full install Professional, years ago and what
was the qualifier?
I just bought a little $20 piece of memory and it was ENOUGH to qualify as
an OEM Builder.
You don't have to buy a whole new computer, all you need is any piece of
fundamental hardware, e.g. a harddisk, memory and such (not powersupply or
screws!).

But I am talking from a many years ago experience, MAYBE rules have changed?
Still there must be OEM vednors who don't enforce stiff OEM requirements
like "you have to spend $1000 before we give yoiu OEM Windows"

STAN STARINSKI

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
OEM is a full/clran install. It's never an upgrade, because if it were an
upgrade then how can you call it "OEM"??
Look, it defies common sense.

OEM means you assemble something from parts, it's virgin, its harddisk is
empty, here comes OEM Windows and fills it.
How can you upgrade an empty/new machine???
Unless you cheat and buy OEM for a used machine with already existing
Windows, but many OEM sellers dont care to stress you out checking whether
you qualify or not.
They will sell OEM.
If Microsoft understood this they'd probably generate more revenues, byt
cutting off nonsense with OEM/non-OEM distinction; because if I really need
new OS, I always get OEM even if I install it onto exiusting machine.
I just buy some cheap hardware in addition and tell seller, look guys I am
an OEM builder, I buy hardware along with Windows!

So get OEM Full Install and dont even think of double upgrade from XP via
Vista. It'll end up in problems.
Do only clean insatll

Bigguy

John Navas wrote:
> Since there is no In Place upgrade of Windows XP to Windows 7, I'm
> thinking of upgrading Windows XP to Windows Vista and then Windows Vista
> to Windows 7, in part because Newegg has a good deal on Windows Vista
> with a Windows 7 coupon:
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116673&cm_re=windows_vi sta-_-32-116-673-_-Product>
>
> Does anyone know for sure if this System Builders OEM product will
> perform an In Place upgrade of Windows XP? Or will it only do a Clean
> Install? Thanks.

Clean installs are generally better than upgrades; two upgrades sounds
very messy...

Buy a new hard drive and do a clean Win7 install onto it.

You can then always revert to the previous OS install without too much pain.

When happy with the new OS you can copy any needed data from the old
hard drive.

Guy
R. C. White

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
Hi, John.

(Long time no see - or read. But I've been cleaning out some old messages
from my archives and reread some from you that helped me solve a problem
about 10 years ago. Thanks, again. ;<) )

I agree with the other posters that a double-upgrade - even if possible with
that NewEgg package - would be more trouble than it's worth. I've done very
few upgrades, almost always clean installs (all the way from TRS-80 Level I
BASIC in 1977 to Win7 Ultimate x64). I've heard that Win7 upgrades are
smoother than earlier transitions, but I still would skip the Vista step.

A year from now, you will have forgotten the money you saved with the
upgrade package, but you will remember the hassles. It will take you -
what, a week? - to clean install Win7, then tweak the new OS and re-install
and re-tweak your apps. But it might take a lot longer than a week to
smooth out the wrinkles from one upgrade, much less two. And you will still
be carrying along the deadwood from WinXP.

Clean install! Win7 is a whole new world from WinXP. Don't fight it.
Enjoy!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Since there is no In Place upgrade of Windows XP to Windows 7, I'm
> thinking of upgrading Windows XP to Windows Vista and then Windows Vista
> to Windows 7, in part because Newegg has a good deal on Windows Vista
> with a Windows 7 coupon:
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116673&cm_re=windows_vi sta-_-32-116-673-_-Product>
>
> Does anyone know for sure if this System Builders OEM product will
> perform an In Place upgrade of Windows XP? Or will it only do a Clean
> Install? Thanks.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John <http:/navasgroup.com>

John Navas

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:31:01 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net>
wrote in <OdxRhqdQKHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:

>Hi, John.
>
>(Long time no see - or read. But I've been cleaning out some old messages
>from my archives and reread some from you that helped me solve a problem
>about 10 years ago. Thanks, again. ;<) )

You're welcome. Thanks. Nice to hear.

>I agree with the other posters that a double-upgrade - even if possible with
>that NewEgg package - would be more trouble than it's worth. I've done very
>few upgrades, almost always clean installs (all the way from TRS-80 Level I
>BASIC in 1977 to Win7 Ultimate x64). I've heard that Win7 upgrades are
>smoother than earlier transitions, but I still would skip the Vista step.
>
>A year from now, you will have forgotten the money you saved with the
>upgrade package, but you will remember the hassles. It will take you -
>what, a week? - to clean install Win7, then tweak the new OS and re-install
>and re-tweak your apps. But it might take a lot longer than a week to
>smooth out the wrinkles from one upgrade, much less two. And you will still
>be carrying along the deadwood from WinXP.

In Place upgrade is on the order of a couple of hours, four hours for
double upgrade, whereas Clean Install can literally take days to
complete and get right.

I've personally never had a serious problem with In Place upgrade of a
clean system (important caveat), and I can always blow it away with a
Clean Install if there are problems.

As for deadwood, even an In Place upgrade replaces all the OS files, and
disk space is dirt cheap, much less valuable than my time.

So while I respect the opinions expressed here, I'm still leaning toward
at least trying a double upgrade, and since the least expensive way I've
found to get a Windows 7 Upgrade is to buy Windows Vista with a Windows
7 Upgrade coupon, I'll probably go that route.

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>
Curious

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
I don't know if there is a difference in price in purchasing a Vista Upgrade
and getting the Win 7 upgrade for free when its released or in just waiting
and buying the Win 7 upgrade.
I actually think that doing in place upgrade from XP to Vista will at least
enable you to find out if there is any hardware on your system which does
not have operable Vista drivers since if you have some Vista driver issues
you will have the same driver issues with Win7.
Then when your Win7 upgrade comes you can make the choice of doing an
inplace Vista to Win7 upgrade or of doing a clean replacement upgrade from
Vista to Win 7.

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:31:01 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net>
> wrote in <OdxRhqdQKHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:
>
>>Hi, John.
>>
>>(Long time no see - or read. But I've been cleaning out some old messages
>>from my archives and reread some from you that helped me solve a problem
>>about 10 years ago. Thanks, again. ;<) )

> You're welcome. Thanks. Nice to hear.
>
>>I agree with the other posters that a double-upgrade - even if possible
>>with
>>that NewEgg package - would be more trouble than it's worth. I've done
>>very
>>few upgrades, almost always clean installs (all the way from TRS-80 Level
>>BASIC in 1977 to Win7 Ultimate x64). I've heard that Win7 upgrades are
>>smoother than earlier transitions, but I still would skip the Vista step.
>>
>>A year from now, you will have forgotten the money you saved with the
>>upgrade package, but you will remember the hassles. It will take you -
>>what, a week? - to clean install Win7, then tweak the new OS and
>>re-install
>>and re-tweak your apps. But it might take a lot longer than a week to
>>smooth out the wrinkles from one upgrade, much less two. And you will
>>still
>>be carrying along the deadwood from WinXP.

> In Place upgrade is on the order of a couple of hours, four hours for
> double upgrade, whereas Clean Install can literally take days to
> complete and get right.
>
> I've personally never had a serious problem with In Place upgrade of a
> clean system (important caveat), and I can always blow it away with a
> Clean Install if there are problems.
>
> As for deadwood, even an In Place upgrade replaces all the OS files, and
> disk space is dirt cheap, much less valuable than my time.
>
> So while I respect the opinions expressed here, I'm still leaning toward
> at least trying a double upgrade, and since the least expensive way I've
> found to get a Windows 7 Upgrade is to buy Windows Vista with a Windows
> 7 Upgrade coupon, I'll probably go that route.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John <http:/navasgroup.com>

John Navas

Re: Windows XP to Windows 7 via Windows Vista
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:35:10 -0700, "Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com>
wrote in <#B7l9veQKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>:

>I don't know if there is a difference in price in purchasing a Vista Upgrade
>and getting the Win 7 upgrade for free when its released or in just waiting
>and buying the Win 7 upgrade.

There is.

>I actually think that doing in place upgrade from XP to Vista will at least
>enable you to find out if there is any hardware on your system which does
>not have operable Vista drivers since if you have some Vista driver issues
>you will have the same driver issues with Win7.

Sure, but I already know my system is Windows 7 capable.

>Then when your Win7 upgrade comes you can make the choice of doing an
>inplace Vista to Win7 upgrade or of doing a clean replacement upgrade from
>Vista to Win 7.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Best regards,