Vista Installation

mattyc

Vista Installation

Hello, I am having a bit of a problem upgrading from xp to vista. I
currently have windows xp media center and am trying to upgrade to vista
home premium using the upgrade version. Basically whenever I get to 27%
of the 'expanding files' process on the installation i get a message
which says 'windows cannot prepare the computer to boot ino the next
phase of installation. to complete installation, please restart the
wizard' or words to that effect.... I have tried opting for a clean
install or an upgrade and get the same problems every time. I have run
the upgrade advisor and it says everything is fine apart from my network
card which needs the 'driver' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) updating (even
though it has the 'latest drivers' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) from the
belkin website.....).

Can anybody suggest what might be causing this problem and how i might
be able to solve it please?

I have also posted this is in the vista forums so apologies if you ahve
already seen this!!

Thanks
Matt

--
mattyc
Tae Song

Re: Vista Installation

"mattyc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I am having a bit of a problem upgrading from xp to vista. I
> currently have windows xp media center and am trying to upgrade to vista
> home premium using the upgrade version. Basically whenever I get to 27%
> of the 'expanding files' process on the installation i get a message
> which says 'windows cannot prepare the computer to boot ino the next
> phase of installation. to complete installation, please restart the
> wizard' or words to that effect.... I have tried opting for a clean
> install or an upgrade and get the same problems every time. I have run
> the upgrade advisor and it says everything is fine apart from my network
> card which needs the 'driver' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) updating (even
> though it has the 'latest drivers' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) from the
> belkin website.....).
>
> Can anybody suggest what might be causing this problem and how i might
> be able to solve it please?
>
> I have also posted this is in the vista forums so apologies if you ahve
> already seen this!!
>
> Thanks
> Matt
>

> --
> mattyc

You might want to run CHKDSK. Go to My Computer -> Local Disk (C ->
Properties -> Tools tab -> Check Now button

You might want to check box Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors to
do surface scan which is more thorough, but takes considerably longer to do
and press Start. It'll come back and say Windows can't check disk while in
use, so press Schedule disk check button and reboot. Then try installing
again.

mattyc

Re: Vista Installation

Tae Song;1143490 Wrote:
> "mattyc" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:75427a88066b0f11da97a13667ecd585@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Hello, I am having a bit of a problem upgrading from xp to vista. I
> > > currently have windows xp media center and am trying to upgrade to

> > vista
> > > home premium using the upgrade version. Basically whenever I get to

> > 27%
> > > of the 'expanding files' process on the installation i get a message
> > > which says 'windows cannot prepare the computer to boot ino the next
> > > phase of installation. to complete installation, please restart the
> > > wizard' or words to that effect.... I have tried opting for a clean
> > > install or an upgrade and get the same problems every time. I have

> > run
> > > the upgrade advisor and it says everything is fine apart from my

> > network
> > > card which needs the 'driver' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) updating

> > (even
> > > though it has the 'latest drivers' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) from

> > the
> > > belkin website.....).
> > >
> > > Can anybody suggest what might be causing this problem and how i

> > might
> > > be able to solve it please?
> > >
> > > I have also posted this is in the vista forums so apologies if you

> > ahve
> > > already seen this!!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Matt
> > >

> > > --
> > > mattyc > > You might want to run CHKDSK. Go to My Computer -> Local Disk (C ->

> Properties -> Tools tab -> Check Now button
>
> You might want to check box Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
> sectors to
> do surface scan which is more thorough, but takes considerably longer
> to do
> and press Start. It'll come back and say Windows can't check disk
> while in
> use, so press Schedule disk check button and reboot. Then try
> installing
> again.

Thanks for the suggestion......I tried to run disk check but i get a
message saying "windows was unable to complete the disk check" and do
not get an option to schedule one for the next reboot. I thought I
would also try to defrag my drive but I cannot do that "disk
defragmenter could not start".....it is as if it is not possible to
access my drives to do any of this stuff!! Any ideas on why this could
happenning?!

Thanks

Matt

> Tae Song;1143490 Wrote:
>> "mattyc" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:75427a88066b0f11da97a13667ecd585@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>> > vista
>> > 27%
>> > run
>> > network
>> > (even
>> > the

>> > might

>> > ahve

>> Properties -> Tools tab -> Check Now button
>>
>> You might want to check box Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
>> sectors to
>> do surface scan which is more thorough, but takes considerably longer
>> to do
>> and press Start. It'll come back and say Windows can't check disk
>> while in
>> use, so press Schedule disk check button and reboot. Then try
>> installing
>> again.

> Thanks for the suggestion......I tried to run disk check but i get a
> message saying "windows was unable to complete the disk check" and do
> not get an option to schedule one for the next reboot. I thought I
> would also try to defrag my drive but I cannot do that "disk
> defragmenter could not start".....it is as if it is not possible to
> access my drives to do any of this stuff!! Any ideas on why this could
> happenning?!
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt
>

> --
> mattyc

Definitely sounds like a problem with the hard drive. Try booting from the
Windows DVD and navigate your way to the command prompt and run CHKDSK C: /X
/R /V

/X : take drive offline
/R : do surface scan, check file integrity and fix any problems found
/V : verbose mode, display what CHKDSK is doing

It could take a while depending on hard disk size.

Also start making backups, ASAP!

Curious

Re: Vista Installation
Are you trying to upgrade a 32 bit XP installation to a 64 bit Vista
installation? If so you need to do a clean install.

"mattyc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Tae Song;1143490 Wrote:
>> "mattyc" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:75427a88066b0f11da97a13667ecd585@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>> > vista
>> > 27%
>> > run
>> > network
>> > (even
>> > the

>> > might

>> > ahve

>> Properties -> Tools tab -> Check Now button
>>
>> You might want to check box Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
>> sectors to
>> do surface scan which is more thorough, but takes considerably longer
>> to do
>> and press Start. It'll come back and say Windows can't check disk
>> while in
>> use, so press Schedule disk check button and reboot. Then try
>> installing
>> again.

> Thanks for the suggestion......I tried to run disk check but i get a
> message saying "windows was unable to complete the disk check" and do
> not get an option to schedule one for the next reboot. I thought I
> would also try to defrag my drive but I cannot do that "disk
> defragmenter could not start".....it is as if it is not possible to
> access my drives to do any of this stuff!! Any ideas on why this could
> happenning?!
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt
>

> --
> mattyc

Andrew Murray

Re: Vista Installation

"mattyc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I am having a bit of a problem upgrading from xp to vista. I
> currently have windows xp media center and am trying to upgrade to vista
> home premium using the upgrade version. Basically whenever I get to 27%
> of the 'expanding files' process on the installation i get a message
> which says 'windows cannot prepare the computer to boot ino the next
> phase of installation. to complete installation, please restart the
> wizard' or words to that effect.... I have tried opting for a clean
> install or an upgrade and get the same problems every time. I have run
> the upgrade advisor and it says everything is fine apart from my network
> card which needs the 'driver' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) updating (even
> though it has the 'latest drivers' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) from the
> belkin website.....).
>
> Can anybody suggest what might be causing this problem and how i might
> be able to solve it please?
>
> I have also posted this is in the vista forums so apologies if you ahve
> already seen this!!
>
> Thanks
> Matt
>

> --
> mattyc

Try these resources concerning installation/upgrading & troubleshooting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/ for installing Vista

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...93bb81033.mspx
for upgrading information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930743/ for troubleshooting.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Installation
"mattyc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I am having a bit of a problem upgrading from xp to vista. I
> currently have windows xp media center and am trying to upgrade to vista
> home premium using the upgrade version. Basically whenever I get to 27%
> of the 'expanding files' process on the installation i get a message
> which says 'windows cannot prepare the computer to boot ino the next
> phase of installation. to complete installation, please restart the
> wizard' or words to that effect.... I have tried opting for a clean
> install or an upgrade and get the same problems every time. I have run
> the upgrade advisor and it says everything is fine apart from my network
> card which needs the 'driver' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) updating (even
> though it has the 'latest drivers' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) from the
> belkin website.....).
>
> Can anybody suggest what might be causing this problem and how i might
> be able to solve it please?
>
> I have also posted this is in the vista forums so apologies if you ahve
> already seen this!!
>
> Thanks
> Matt
>

> --
> mattyc

You are entitled to free support from Microsoft for retail copies of Windows
(upgrade or full editions) and can find the appropriate 800 number in the
box. That would be your best solution. MS support will get you up and
running.

The 27% issue is something I recall from some time ago and I believe there
are KB articles giving the resolution. It has nothing to do with faulty
hardware. IIRC it is caused by bad OS files (in this case in XP).

It may be faster to call MS than search the KB. If you don't want to do
that, at least run a repair installation of XP. That should also address
the problem.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Installation
"Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Are you trying to upgrade a 32 bit XP installation to a 64 bit Vista
> installation? If so you need to do a clean install.
>
> "mattyc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Tae Song;1143490 Wrote:
>>> "mattyc" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>>> news:75427a88066b0f11da97a13667ecd585@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>>> Properties -> Tools tab -> Check Now button
>>>
>>> You might want to check box Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
>>> sectors to
>>> do surface scan which is more thorough, but takes considerably longer
>>> to do
>>> and press Start. It'll come back and say Windows can't check disk
>>> while in
>>> use, so press Schedule disk check button and reboot. Then try
>>> installing
>>> again.

>> Thanks for the suggestion......I tried to run disk check but i get a
>> message saying "windows was unable to complete the disk check" and do
>> not get an option to schedule one for the next reboot. I thought I
>> would also try to defrag my drive but I cannot do that "disk
>> defragmenter could not start".....it is as if it is not possible to
>> access my drives to do any of this stuff!! Any ideas on why this could
>> happenning?!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> --
>> mattyc

A good thought, but he would never get started and would not be seeing this
or any other error message since the 64-bit setup.exe wouldn't even run from
his XP desktop in the first place.

mattyc

Re: Vista Installation

Colin Barnhorst;1145972 Wrote:
> "mattyc" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:75427a88066b0f11da97a13667ecd585@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Hello, I am having a bit of a problem upgrading from xp to vista. I
> > > currently have windows xp media center and am trying to upgrade to

> > vista
> > > home premium using the upgrade version. Basically whenever I get to

> > 27%
> > > of the 'expanding files' process on the installation i get a message
> > > which says 'windows cannot prepare the computer to boot ino the next
> > > phase of installation. to complete installation, please restart the
> > > wizard' or words to that effect.... I have tried opting for a clean
> > > install or an upgrade and get the same problems every time. I have

> > run
> > > the upgrade advisor and it says everything is fine apart from my

> > network
> > > card which needs the 'driver' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) updating

> > (even
> > > though it has the 'latest drivers' (http://www.vistax64.com/#) from

> > the
> > > belkin website.....).
> > >
> > > Can anybody suggest what might be causing this problem and how i

> > might
> > > be able to solve it please?
> > >
> > > I have also posted this is in the vista forums so apologies if you

> > ahve
> > > already seen this!!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Matt
> > >

> > > --
> > > mattyc > >

> You are entitled to free support from Microsoft for retail copies of
> Windows
> (upgrade or full editions) and can find the appropriate 800 number in
> the
> box. That would be your best solution. MS support will get you up and
> running.
>
> The 27% issue is something I recall from some time ago and I believe
> there
> are KB articles giving the resolution. It has nothing to do with
> faulty
> hardware. IIRC it is caused by bad OS files (in this case in XP).
>
> It may be faster to call MS than search the KB. If you don't want to
> do
> that, at least run a repair installation of XP. That should also
> address
> the problem.

Thanks for all the advice. I have run chkdsk again and on bootup it
said that chkdsk could not be run because the system volume if RAW. It
seems my hard drive has somehow changed from ntfs to raw without me
knowing!! I have done a bit of research and it does not look like a
simple thing to repair so I think I will reinstall a clean version of xp
doing a complete format of the drive at the same time. then i will try
to upgrade vista over the top of this. Unless anyone has a simpler way
of repairing my hard drive........?

Thanks again

Matt

--
mattyc

> Colin Barnhorst;1145972 Wrote:
>> "mattyc" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:75427a88066b0f11da97a13667ecd585@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>> > vista
>> > 27%
>> > run
>> > network
>> > (even
>> > the

>> > might

>> > ahve

>> You are entitled to free support from Microsoft for retail copies of
>> Windows
>> (upgrade or full editions) and can find the appropriate 800 number in
>> the
>> box. That would be your best solution. MS support will get you up and
>> running.
>>
>> The 27% issue is something I recall from some time ago and I believe
>> there
>> are KB articles giving the resolution. It has nothing to do with
>> faulty
>> hardware. IIRC it is caused by bad OS files (in this case in XP).
>>
>> It may be faster to call MS than search the KB. If you don't want to
>> do
>> that, at least run a repair installation of XP. That should also
>> address
>> the problem.

> Thanks for all the advice. I have run chkdsk again and on bootup it
> said that chkdsk could not be run because the system volume if RAW. It
> seems my hard drive has somehow changed from ntfs to raw without me
> knowing!! I have done a bit of research and it does not look like a
> simple thing to repair so I think I will reinstall a clean version of xp
> doing a complete format of the drive at the same time. then i will try
> to upgrade vista over the top of this. Unless anyone has a simpler way
> of repairing my hard drive........?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Matt
>

> --
> mattyc

"Raw" is not a file system like NTFS. It is the lack of a file system
entirely. A raw disk means it has not been partitioned yet or the partition
data is no longer valid. A brand new disk is raw until the manufaturer or
user runs disk tools on it.