How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system

nisar6788

How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system

I want to create a recovery partition on my windows Vista laptop. Pretty
much i want to be pompted when the pc boots to hit f10 and have a count
down of 10 seconds . I know this would be done through boot.ini however
i have no idea how to do so. Also id make a seperate partition on my hd
of ten gigs just for the backup image. if someone could help me.... Id
appreciate it. Thanks

--
nisar6788
Rick Rogers

Re: How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system
Hi,

The kind of recovery you are referring to is generally done by manufacturers
by placing an image on the disk to begin with. What you would need to do is
look at imaging software that will create a "picture" of the system as it is
at a given moment in time and allow you to store this on a separate volume
where you can later restore from. It wouldn't be done via boot.ini, but
rather through some mechanism of the recovery software that you choose.
There are many available, here is one example:
http://www.terabyteinc.com/image-for-windows.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"nisar6788" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I want to create a recovery partition on my windows Vista laptop. Pretty
> much i want to be pompted when the pc boots to hit f10 and have a count
> down of 10 seconds . I know this would be done through boot.ini however
> i have no idea how to do so. Also id make a seperate partition on my hd
> of ten gigs just for the backup image. if someone could help me.... Id
> appreciate it. Thanks
>

> --
> nisar6788

Al

Re: How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system
To add to Rick's response - the message to hit a "F" key to restore is
created by a MBR (Master Boot Record) modification. Consider a backup
imaging program, such as Acronis, which will not only create a restore
partition but also can be scheduled to keep he restore image current.

Al

Re: How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system
Programs (OEMs) that create recovery partitions modify the MBR (Master
boot record) to provide the function restore option - backing up the
recovery partition to another drive does not change the MBR modification -
in fact deleting the recovery partition does not remove the modification,
which is why OEMs provide a utility to do so if users desire to recover the
partition space by moving the recovery image to removable media.

A backup utility, such as Acronis will create a recovery partition, modify
the MBR and keep the image current - in addition you can create images on
external media - a must if your recovery partition is located on the
system/boot drive since loss of the drive also means loss of the recovery
partition.

nisar6788

Re: How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system

Dear AL Thanks. Since the dell inspiron 1525 with the recovery partition
D created by the dell company, with restoring command of hitting F8, I
managed to to have an exact copy of recovery drive on external hard
drive. will you help me to understand how to restore my system from the
recovery partition availiable in external hard drive insted of recovery
partition D (internal hard drive)

--
nisar6788
John Galt

Re: How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system
nisar6788 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Dear AL Thanks. Since the dell inspiron 1525 with the recovery partition
>D created by the dell company, with restoring command of hitting F8, I
>managed to to have an exact copy of recovery drive on external hard
>drive. will you help me to understand how to restore my system from the
>recovery partition availiable in external hard drive insted of recovery
>partition D (internal hard drive)

I am sure that is not possible.
theog

Re: How to creat recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system

Hi nisar6788

One thing you need to know is the letter name of your Vista Recovery
Partition (NOT Dell Recovery Partition). In my case it was "E".

The procedure is as follows

(1) Boot to WinRE using the Dell Vista DVD, i.e. <F12> etc.
(2) After Windows loads, select language/keyboard options and click on
next.
(3) On Install Windows menu select "Repair your computer".
(4) on System Recovery Options menu select "Next".
(5) On System Recovery Options menu click on "Command Prompt".
(6) Type "path e:\windows;e:\windows\system32" and press <ENTER> key.
(7) Type "e:" and press <ENTER> key.
(8) Type "cd tools" and press <ENTER> key.
(9) Type "PCRestore" and press <ENTER> key and Dell Factory Image
Restore window will appear.
(10) Click on "Next" and Confirm Data Deletion dialog will appear.
(11) Place a "check mark" beside "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore
system software to factory condition" for the final confirmation and
click on "Next" when ready. Note: The restoration process takes
approximately 10 to 15 minutes, the format bar will run back and forth.
(12) Click "Finish" to reboot system!

--
theog
paratracker

Re: How to create recovery partition with recovery image in vista to restore the system

Instead of talking about what OEMs usually do or referring people to
third party software packages, could you please simply address using
Vista's disk management facility?

My main drive has a 5GB recovery partition that is not FAT32 or NTFS and
it does NOT have a drive letter assigned. That suggests that one should
select "Do not assign a drive letter or drive path" and should not
format the partition.

--
paratracker
paratracker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228169.htm