Vista upgrade from xp

macheen

Vista upgrade from xp

I have a wierd one. I have a customers computer that was running xp pro,
I did the compatability check for an upgrade everything was good. I did
the upgrade correctly. The machine rebooted the final time and said user
and login incorrect? so I clicked ok and was brought to the login screen
"administrator" and entered my password. No problem got right in. There
were some software issues etc etc nothing major. I then went to
microsoft and started the update process, specifically the updates for
windows and other stuff IE hardware etc. I did the active x...then the
update failed it said that I have to log in as an administrator...hmmmm

let me back up, during the upgrade it failed at first and said that
have to remove the C:\user folder or rename it....I went into c and
renamed it user1....then the upgrade went smooth.....

So after that failure (the updates) i went back into the C drive and
realized that there was now two USER folders the one I renamed and the
one that is supposed to be there. Well I promptly fixed the renamed
folder back to user NOT USER(caps intentional) vista asked me if I
wanted to merge the two folders, I said sure and did that. Well now it
appears that I have two admin accounts but still can't run the updater,
I tried logging out and then logging into the "other" admin account and
no go again.

I did alot of research and haven't been able to find an answer. I hope
one of the gurus here can point me in the right direction. I have tons
of Vista experience and frankly have been using w7 so long now I am
getting rusty, generally I just do a fresh install, however the customer
really has to have his data in tact. So I am thinking I should be asking
before I blow it totally. Now just in case, I do have the ability to
upgrade from Business to Ultimate if that is a viable option. thanx all

--
macheen
technome

Re: Vista upgrade from xp

Vista is not so good when Windows 7 will come out soon. to upgrade your
system to Windows 7, some software may help you about the disk , such as
to do backup, genie backup.

--
technome
macheen

Re: Vista upgrade from xp

technome;1136752 Wrote:
> Vista is not so good when Windows 7 will come out soon. to upgrade your
> system to Windows 7, some software may help you about the disk , such as
> to do backup, genie backup.

I know but my customer is adament about Vista and they did pay for the
upgrade already..LOL

--
macheen
mitchell

Re: Vista upgrade from xp

You may find this option may help
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...ade-vista.html
but you will have to back up and reinstall all your customers data &
drivers, I hope this link is of some help all the best

--
mitchell
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista upgrade from xp

"macheen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a wierd one. I have a customers computer that was running xp pro,
> I did the compatability check for an upgrade everything was good. I did
> the upgrade correctly. The machine rebooted the final time and said user
> and login incorrect? so I clicked ok and was brought to the login screen
> "administrator" and entered my password. No problem got right in. There
> were some software issues etc etc nothing major. I then went to
> microsoft and started the update process, specifically the updates for
> windows and other stuff IE hardware etc. I did the active x...then the
> update failed it said that I have to log in as an administrator...hmmmm
>
> let me back up, during the upgrade it failed at first and said that
> have to remove the C:\user folder or rename it....I went into c and
> renamed it user1....then the upgrade went smooth.....
>
> So after that failure (the updates) i went back into the C drive and
> realized that there was now two USER folders the one I renamed and the
> one that is supposed to be there. Well I promptly fixed the renamed
> folder back to user NOT USER(caps intentional) vista asked me if I
> wanted to merge the two folders, I said sure and did that. Well now it
> appears that I have two admin accounts but still can't run the updater,
> I tried logging out and then logging into the "other" admin account and
> no go again.
>
> I did alot of research and haven't been able to find an answer. I hope
> one of the gurus here can point me in the right direction. I have tons
> of Vista experience and frankly have been using w7 so long now I am
> getting rusty, generally I just do a fresh install, however the customer
> really has to have his data in tact. So I am thinking I should be asking
> before I blow it totally. Now just in case, I do have the ability to
> upgrade from Business to Ultimate if that is a viable option. thanx all
>

> --
> macheen

Remove the HDD and recover all of the customer data, then do a clean install
of Vista and re-instate the data..

In-place upgrades should not be seen as a route to avoid backing up data..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

macheen

Re: Vista upgrade from xp

Mike Hall - MVP;1098680 Wrote:
> "macheen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have a wierd one. I have a customers computer that was running xp

> pro,
> > I did the compatability check for an upgrade everything was good. I

> did
> > the upgrade correctly. The machine rebooted the final time and said

> user
> > and login incorrect? so I clicked ok and was brought to the login

> screen
> > "administrator" and entered my password. No problem got right in.

> There
> > were some software issues etc etc nothing major. I then went to
> > microsoft and started the update process, specifically the updates

> for
> > windows and other stuff IE hardware etc. I did the active x...then

> the
> > update failed it said that I have to log in as an

> administrator...hmmmm
> >
> > let me back up, during the upgrade it failed at first and said that
> > have to remove the C:\user folder or rename it....I went into c and
> > renamed it user1....then the upgrade went smooth.....
> >
> > So after that failure (the updates) i went back into the C drive and
> > realized that there was now two USER folders the one I renamed and

> the
> > one that is supposed to be there. Well I promptly fixed the renamed
> > folder back to user NOT USER(caps intentional) vista asked me if I
> > wanted to merge the two folders, I said sure and did that. Well now

> it
> > appears that I have two admin accounts but still can't run the

> updater,
> > I tried logging out and then logging into the "other" admin account

> and
> > no go again.
> >
> > I did alot of research and haven't been able to find an answer. I

> hope
> > one of the gurus here can point me in the right direction. I have

> tons
> > of Vista experience and frankly have been using w7 so long now I am
> > getting rusty, generally I just do a fresh install, however the

> customer
> > really has to have his data in tact. So I am thinking I should be

> asking
> > before I blow it totally. Now just in case, I do have the ability to
> > upgrade from Business to Ultimate if that is a viable option. thanx

> all
> >

> > --
> > macheen

> Remove the HDD and recover all of the customer data, then do a clean
> install
> of Vista and re-instate the data..
>
> In-place upgrades should not be seen as a route to avoid backing up
> data..
>
> --
>
> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike this might sound stupid, but do I use the migration wizard/ or
something else. The other main reason for the upgrade is the customer
HAS TO retain their original programs, some they simply can't
reinstall..... help

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista upgrade from xp

"macheen" <macheen.3ym33u@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

> [...]

>> asking
>> > before I blow it totally. Now just in case, I do have the ability to
>> > upgrade from Business to Ultimate if that is a viable option. thanx

>> all
>> >

>> > --
>> > macheen

>> Remove the HDD and recover all of the customer data, then do a clean
>> install
>> of Vista and re-instate the data..
>>
>> In-place upgrades should not be seen as a route to avoid backing up
>> data..
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

> Mike this might sound stupid, but do I use the migration wizard/ or
> something else. The other main reason for the upgrade is the customer
> HAS TO retain their original programs, some they simply can't

No, a migration wizard will not help. Neither will doing an upgrade from
Business to Ultimate.

To be honest, you are probably in too deep as it is. I don't suppose that
there is a complete system backup in existence? The one that should have
been made prior to running the upgrade? It is a good idea to do a complete
system backup or clone the entire system to another drive and then
experiment on the clone copy. This procedure is even more important if there
are applications in use for which no installation media exists.

Upgrade advisors can only do so much, and the system to be upgraded has to
be pretty much perfect, no faults, errors, malware etc. One should always
check with hardware and software manufacturers to be sure that all is
compatible. The only devices which should be connected are screen, keyboard
and mouse.

I think that you and your client are going to have to speak to each other
fairly soon.. apologies for not being able to offer you any solace..