After SP2 Installation, VISTA will NOT Shutdown

RickB

After SP2 Installation, VISTA will NOT Shutdown
Recently installed VISTA SP2 on my laptop. Now, when I try to shutdown it
restarts instead into the "Windos did not shutdown properly. Would you like
to start in Safe Mode or Normal Windows."

I restart in Normal Windows. As soon as it's done restarting I try shutting
down again. MOST of the time, this second attempt will shut the computer
down...but not always.

I don't have a clue where to start.

Thanks, Rick
Richard Urban

Re: After SP2 Installation, VISTA will NOT Shutdown
"RickB" <RickB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently installed VISTA SP2 on my laptop. Now, when I try to shutdown it
> restarts instead into the "Windos did not shutdown properly. Would you
> like
> to start in Safe Mode or Normal Windows."
>
> I restart in Normal Windows. As soon as it's done restarting I try
> shutting
> down again. MOST of the time, this second attempt will shut the computer
> down...but not always.
>
> I don't have a clue where to start.
>
> Thanks, Rick

Your computer is crashing upon shutdown and you have it set (by default) to
automatically restart.

Go to Computer | Properties | Advanced System Settings | Startup and
Recovery
Remove the check from "Automatically Restart".

Now when you shut down the computer you will get a blue screen that "may"
indicate where to look to solve the problem.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

RickB

Re: After SP2 Installation, VISTA will NOT Shutdown
Thanks for the advice. Gave it a try and it shutdown most of the time. At
no time do I get the actual blue screen of death. However, I still get one
of a few things going wrong.

A few times the screen went black, but I could tell the screen was still on.
Hit the power button and very quick boot into the "Windows did not shut down
properly...Safe Mode...Nowmal Mode" screen. After rebboting and immediate
shut down okay.

Several time after "successful shutdown" I still get the "Windows did not
shut down properly...Safe Mode...Nowmal Mode" screen. After selecting
"Normal" I get the "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Check
for solutions." I click "check for Solutions" and the windo goes away after
a few seconds with no recommendations. Last set of "details" as follows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: 00000001
BCP2: 0000001B
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 820F15B5
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091509-01.dmp
C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40591-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5521.tmp.versi on.txt

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> "RickB" <RickB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently installed VISTA SP2 on my laptop. Now, when I try to shutdown it
> > restarts instead into the "Windos did not shutdown properly. Would you
> > like
> > to start in Safe Mode or Normal Windows."
> >
> > I restart in Normal Windows. As soon as it's done restarting I try
> > shutting
> > down again. MOST of the time, this second attempt will shut the computer
> > down...but not always.
> >
> > I don't have a clue where to start.
> >
> > Thanks, Rick

> Your computer is crashing upon shutdown and you have it set (by default) to
> automatically restart.
>
> Go to Computer | Properties | Advanced System Settings | Startup and
> Recovery
> Remove the check from "Automatically Restart".
>
> Now when you shut down the computer you will get a blue screen that "may"
> indicate where to look to solve the problem.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience

Karl Uzzell

Vista re starts after shutdown
I have just done a clean vista install, now I am getting the same issue. Shut down and within a few seconds it re starts. If I un plug power for a split second before it re starts, then plug power back in its fine... so I assume this must be a command in memory ?... I have turned off all wake ups in bios, ste power settings so the shutdown button is shutdown not sleep. Disabled all WOL in network card settings... its driving me nuts any idea's ?????

RickB wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Gave it a try and it shutdown most of the time.
15-Sep-09

Thanks for the advice. Gave it a try and it shutdown most of the time. At
no time do I get the actual blue screen of death. However, I still get one
of a few things going wrong.

A few times the sc

On 13 September 2009 10:31
RickB wrote:

After SP2 Installation, VISTA will NOT Shutdown
Recently installed VISTA SP2 on my laptop. Now, when I try to shutdown it
restarts instead into the "Windos did not shutdown properly. Would you like
to start in Safe Mode or Normal Windows."

I rest

On 13 September 2009 11:34
Richard Urban wrote:

Re: After SP2 Installation, VISTA will NOT Shutdown
Your computer is crashing upon shutdown and you have it set (by default) to
automatically restart.

Go to Computer | Properties | Advanced System Settings | Startup and
Recovery
Remove the check from

On 15 September 2009 15:23
RickB wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Gave it a try and it shutdown most of the time.
Thanks for the advice. Gave it a try and it shutdown most of the time. At
no time do I get the actual blue screen of death. However, I still get one
of a few things going wrong.

A few times the sc

SQL Server Table Variables To Eliminate Cursors
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-variable.aspx
Gahawy

Re: Vista re starts after shutdown
It sounds like a hardware problem, try removing all attached expansion cards
"other than the video card ", and if you can get a video card to replace
yours, that will be fine.
If not, i guess you may try replacing the power supply.