g'day....installing.....

tyrellcorp

g'day....installing.....

hi there hope everyone is well out there!

Once again i write here to find out some very neccessary info that i am
finding hard to locate , i hope some one will have some inclination on
this subject.

is there a complete correct way to install vista /windows 7 64bit and
keep all of 32bit installed programs and files in there orginal place?
Its taken more than a year to get all of the settings and programs to
this condition and i now need to upgrade to 64bit so that i can use all
of that extra RAM.! any ideas on the way ahead would be most
grateful....

cheers

--
tyrellcorp
John Galt

Re: g'day....installing.....
tyrellcorp <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>hi there hope everyone is well out there!
>

>Once again i write here to find out some very neccessary info that i am
>finding hard to locate , i hope some one will have some inclination on
>this subject.
>
>is there a complete correct way to install vista /windows 7 64bit and
>keep all of 32bit installed programs and files in there orginal place?

I doubt it. Going from 32-bit to 64-bit in Vista requires a clean
install.

I doubt that has changed.
Bruce Chambers

Re: g'day....installing.....
tyrellcorp wrote:
> hi there hope everyone is well out there!
>

> Once again i write here to find out some very neccessary info that i am
> finding hard to locate , i hope some one will have some inclination on
> this subject.
>
> is there a complete correct way to install vista /windows 7 64bit and
> keep all of 32bit installed programs and files in there orginal place?

No, there isn't. In fact, it's simply not technically possible to do
what you want.

There is no supported upgrade path from any 32-bit OS to any 64-bit OS.
You have to perform a clean installation, which entails deleting the
partition and creating and formatting a new partition (Although some
people merely format the old partition and start from there) before
installing the new OS, which obviously means that any and all installed
applications will need to be reinstalled from the original installation
media.

> Its taken more than a year to get all of the settings and programs to
> this condition and i now need to upgrade to 64bit so that i can use all
> of that extra RAM.! any ideas on the way ahead would be most
> grateful....

The Windows Easy Transfer Wizard can walk you through transferring your
data files and many application settings from one installation to another.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Richard G. Harper

Re: g'day....installing.....
Sorry, no. You can use the "Windows Easy Transfer" tool to back up settings
and files now and then restore them afterwards. There is no way to perform
any upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows, never has been and likely never
will be.

"tyrellcorp" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hi there hope everyone is well out there!
>

> Once again i write here to find out some very neccessary info that i am
> finding hard to locate , i hope some one will have some inclination on
> this subject.
>
> is there a complete correct way to install vista /windows 7 64bit and
> keep all of 32bit installed programs and files in there orginal place?
> Its taken more than a year to get all of the settings and programs to
> this condition and i now need to upgrade to 64bit so that i can use all
> of that extra RAM.! any ideas on the way ahead would be most
> grateful....
>

> cheers
>

> --
> tyrellcorp

Curious

Re: g'day....installing.....
tyrellcorp,
You can not do an in place upgrade of a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit since the
registry and the drivers for hardware on the systems are totally different.
You can do a replacement upgrade which will replace your 32 bit OS with a 64
bit OS and which will save out all of your 32 bit files in a folder on your
desktop named Windows.Old.
You can then copy out of this folder any data files that you need for your
new installation and then you can delete the folder.
All applications will need to be reinstalled since they all have registry
entries.
You will not get any performance benefit from the extra memory available on
a 64 bit system unless you are running some very memory intensive
applications such as video editing or a relational data base manager. Think
of it like a car, you don't need or get any benefit from owning an 8
passenger minivan if you only have a family of 4 and a standard sedan.

> Sorry, no. You can use the "Windows Easy Transfer" tool to back up
> settings and files now and then restore them afterwards. There is no way
> to perform any upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows, never has been and
> likely never will be.
>
> "tyrellcorp" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> hi there hope everyone is well out there!
>>

>> Once again i write here to find out some very neccessary info that i am
>> finding hard to locate , i hope some one will have some inclination on
>> this subject.
>>
>> is there a complete correct way to install vista /windows 7 64bit and
>> keep all of 32bit installed programs and files in there orginal place?
>> Its taken more than a year to get all of the settings and programs to
>> this condition and i now need to upgrade to 64bit so that i can use all
>> of that extra RAM.! any ideas on the way ahead would be most
>> grateful....
>>

>> cheers
>>

>> --
>> tyrellcorp

tyrellcorp

Re: g'day....installing.....

so you cant use a 32bit back up on a 64bit installation?

--
tyrellcorp
Curious

Re: g'day....installing.....
I don't even know what you mean by creating a 32 OS bit back up of a 64 bit
OS installation

> so you cant use a 32bit back up on a 64bit installation?
>

> --
> tyrellcorp

Colin Barnhorst

Re: g'day....installing.....
"tyrellcorp" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> so you cant use a 32bit back up on a 64bit installation?
>

> --
> tyrellcorp

You can back up files with the Windows Easy Transfer in the 32-bit edition
and then use the WET in the 64-bit edition to restore them. It works very
well. As others have said, you will have to reinstall your applications.
All of them.

Ian D

Re: g'day....installing.....

"tyrellcorp" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> so you cant use a 32bit back up on a 64bit installation?
>

> --
> tyrellcorp

Your best bet is to install the 64 bit Win 7 in a dual boot
configuration. That way, you will have access to all your
apps, while taking time to set up Win 7 to your liking. To
do this Win 7 would need to be on a separate drive, or
partition.

If you're migrating to 64 bit Win 7, why not wait until the
Oct 22 retail release. Then you won't have to reinstall
when your beta, or RC Win 7 expires.

tyrellcorp

Re: g'day....installing.....

i thought the RC runs out next august. I have tried the dual method and
got fed up with having to continually shut down and start to move
between the OS's. and that also ties up a hard drive which isnt being
used for 50% of the time. I thought that there might be a way to install
the 64bit and then install the back up of the 32 bit programs with all
of their individual prefernences intact. without having to uninstall all
of my programs and then installing them all again after i have installed
the 64bit os.
how reliable is a back up anyway? does it put all of the computer back
EXACTLY as it was , i think i would always feel that something was not
right or something.

--
tyrellcorp

Quick G'Day Master5 Introduce Yourself 0 11-27-2008 11:27
G'day! drewhiggins Introduce Yourself 0 10-04-2008 16:07
G'day rolyncons Introduce Yourself 0 09-08-2008 05:36
G'Day All Digital Windows Vista Home Premium 0 05-11-2008 04:53
G'day All catman Introduce Yourself 2 04-19-2008 03:48