Can't install Vista Business unless I downgrade RAM from 4x512 to 2x512

cbiggs

Can't install Vista Business unless I downgrade RAM from 4x512 to 2x512

Hello all. This is my first post. I have been searching everywhere for a
resolution, but so far, cannot find one. I have run Windows XP on my
system since 2004. I have been running 2GB of system RAM through 4x512
Corsair valueselect memory sticks. I attempted to install Vista Business
on Monday and the system would never get to the point where it would ask
to create the user account without going into a reboot loop that I
couldn't get out of (even in safe mode). After removing and replacing
hardware, the only thing that would solve the problem was to remove 2 of
the 512 sticks and leaving the RAM at 1GB. Now after vista is installed,
I can't put the RAM back without having the reboot loop return.

Does know how I can get Vista to recognize my other 1GB without getting
all mad and throwing a temper tantrum?

System is:

Abit Av8
Athlon Dual Core 4400+
Corsair value select 4x512
ATI 2600XT PRO
X-Fi Xtremegamer
Pioneer DVD Burner
Lite ON blu ray drive
Hauppague HVR 1600

--
cbiggs
PvdG42

Re: Can't install Vista Business unless I downgrade RAM from 4x512 to 2x512

"cbiggs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello all. This is my first post. I have been searching everywhere for a
> resolution, but so far, cannot find one. I have run Windows XP on my
> system since 2004. I have been running 2GB of system RAM through 4x512
> Corsair valueselect memory sticks. I attempted to install Vista Business
> on Monday and the system would never get to the point where it would ask
> to create the user account without going into a reboot loop that I
> couldn't get out of (even in safe mode). After removing and replacing
> hardware, the only thing that would solve the problem was to remove 2 of
> the 512 sticks and leaving the RAM at 1GB. Now after vista is installed,
> I can't put the RAM back without having the reboot loop return.
>
> Does know how I can get Vista to recognize my other 1GB without getting
> all mad and throwing a temper tantrum?
>
> System is:
>
> Abit Av8
> Athlon Dual Core 4400+
> Corsair value select 4x512
> ATI 2600XT PRO
> X-Fi Xtremegamer
> Pioneer DVD Burner
> Lite ON blu ray drive
> Hauppague HVR 1600
>

> --
> cbiggs

Three things:
1. Any overclocking or tweaked BIOS setting? If so, reset to defaults and
see what happens.
2. Run a good DOS-based memory checker on the modules. Something like
MemTest.
3. If your BIOS allows you to *slightly* increase the DDR voltage, try that.

Vista and following access and manage memory differently from XP and prior,
and typically use as much as available unlike XP. These differences may have
uncovered a flaw in your memory modules that XP didn't.

Kc98GT

cbiggs;1121936 Wrote:
> Hello all. This is my first post. I have been searching everywhere for a
> resolution, but so far, cannot find one. I have run Windows XP on my
> system since 2004. I have been running 2GB of system RAM through 4x512
> Corsair valueselect memory sticks. I attempted to install Vista Business
> on Monday and the system would never get to the point where it would ask
> to create the user account without going into a reboot loop that I
> couldn't get out of (even in safe mode). After removing and replacing
> hardware, the only thing that would solve the problem was to remove 2 of
> the 512 sticks and leaving the RAM at 1GB. Now after vista is installed,
> I can't put the RAM back without having the reboot loop return.
>
> Does know how I can get Vista to recognize my other 1GB without getting
> all mad and throwing a temper tantrum?
>
> System is:
>
> Abit Av8
> Athlon Dual Core 4400+
> Corsair value select 4x512
> ATI 2600XT PRO
> X-Fi Xtremegamer
> Pioneer DVD Burner
> Lite ON blu ray drive
> Hauppague HVR 1600

Subscribed. I have Vista 64 bit Home Premium and I conducted the first
reformat since I built the box 20 months ago (ran flawless before.)
When the format was done installing the new files the system turned off
and would attempt to finish the format while launching windows. This is
where I see a blue screen flash with a Memory Dump message, but it goes
away after a few seconds.

I have 4x 1GB Corsair XMS DDR2 of memory in the system. The format
finished without issues when I took out 2x 1GB sticks leaving 2GB and 2
of the 4 memory slots in use. Initially after the format I ran some
updates and rebooted without issues. Now about 2 days later I cannot
boot the system into windows with 4 GB of memory or I get the same blue
screen message.

-Karl

--
Kc98GT
Curious

Re: Can't install Vista Business unless I downgrade RAM from 4x512 to 2x512
Vista will not run unless when it tests your memory at boot time it finds
that all memory is running at the same speed. So unless you have 4 matched
memory sticks and/or have set memory speed settings in your BIOS Vista will
not run. It appears that you have two pairs of mismatched memory sticks so
Vista will only run with one pair of them at a time

"Kc98GT" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> cbiggs;1121936 Wrote:
>> Hello all. This is my first post. I have been searching everywhere for a
>> resolution, but so far, cannot find one. I have run Windows XP on my
>> system since 2004. I have been running 2GB of system RAM through 4x512
>> Corsair valueselect memory sticks. I attempted to install Vista Business
>> on Monday and the system would never get to the point where it would ask
>> to create the user account without going into a reboot loop that I
>> couldn't get out of (even in safe mode). After removing and replacing
>> hardware, the only thing that would solve the problem was to remove 2 of
>> the 512 sticks and leaving the RAM at 1GB. Now after vista is installed,
>> I can't put the RAM back without having the reboot loop return.
>>
>> Does know how I can get Vista to recognize my other 1GB without getting
>> all mad and throwing a temper tantrum?
>>
>> System is:
>>
>> Abit Av8
>> Athlon Dual Core 4400+
>> Corsair value select 4x512
>> ATI 2600XT PRO
>> X-Fi Xtremegamer
>> Pioneer DVD Burner
>> Lite ON blu ray drive
>> Hauppague HVR 1600

> Subscribed. I have Vista 64 bit Home Premium and I conducted the first
> reformat since I built the box 20 months ago (ran flawless before.)
> When the format was done installing the new files the system turned off
> and would attempt to finish the format while launching windows. This is
> where I see a blue screen flash with a Memory Dump message, but it goes
> away after a few seconds.
>
> I have 4x 1GB Corsair XMS DDR2 of memory in the system. The format
> finished without issues when I took out 2x 1GB sticks leaving 2GB and 2
> of the 4 memory slots in use. Initially after the format I ran some
> updates and rebooted without issues. Now about 2 days later I cannot
> boot the system into windows with 4 GB of memory or I get the same blue
> screen message.
>
> -Karl
>

> --
> Kc98GT

R. C. White

Re: Can't install Vista Business unless I downgrade RAM from 4x512 to 2x512
Hi, Curious.

It can get even weirder than that. :>(

When I put my new system together in late 2006, I ordered it all, including
2x1 GB sticks of OCZ PC-6400, from NewEgg. It ran great for a year. Then I
ordered 2 more identical sticks from NewEgg. All the numbers matched and my
computer ran fine with 4 GB for about 6 months. Then weird problems started
happening. After weeks of hassle and replacing everything from a hard drive
to all the fans, the severe problems continued. All the RAM passed all the
tests run by both me and my local PC shop, but the computer would run with 2
or 3 GB but not with 4 GB. When I tried to RMA the bad stick, OCZ insisted
I send back BOTH the new sticks so that they could be sure I received a
matched pair.

With the matched pair, my computer has been happily running with 4x1 GB for
a year. First with Vista Ultimate x64 and for several months now with Win7
Ultimate x64. ;<)

All this to say that even seemingly identical RAM sticks can still be
mismatched and can cause serious problems.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX