Vista Ultimate 64 does not install

BT News

Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
Hi

I am sure this has been answered before but perhaps soemone can let me know
the solution?

I have purchase Vista Ultimate 64 full version to install on my computer
whihc currently has XP professional installed

I put the disc in the drive and boot to it and then nothing appears to
happen for ages. After about 10 minutes I get the option to choose my zone
and then another 10 minutes or so passes when i get asked if i want to
install Vista and then ages and ages pass and nothing.

I suspected my DVD drive so purchased a new one and the problem remains

Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a solution

Thanks in advance

TheCapt

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
Hi,

How old is your system? What are its specifications?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"BT News" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am sure this has been answered before but perhaps soemone can let me
> know the solution?
>
> I have purchase Vista Ultimate 64 full version to install on my computer
> whihc currently has XP professional installed
>
> I put the disc in the drive and boot to it and then nothing appears to
> happen for ages. After about 10 minutes I get the option to choose my zone
> and then another 10 minutes or so passes when i get asked if i want to
> install Vista and then ages and ages pass and nothing.
>
> I suspected my DVD drive so purchased a new one and the problem remains
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a solution
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> TheCapt

TheCapt

> Hi,
>
> How old is your system? What are its specifications?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> Vote for my shoe: http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "BT News" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I am sure this has been answered before but perhaps soemone can let me
>> know the solution?
>>
>> I have purchase Vista Ultimate 64 full version to install on my computer
>> whihc currently has XP professional installed
>>
>> I put the disc in the drive and boot to it and then nothing appears to
>> happen for ages. After about 10 minutes I get the option to choose my
>> zone and then another 10 minutes or so passes when i get asked if i want
>> to install Vista and then ages and ages pass and nothing.
>>
>> I suspected my DVD drive so purchased a new one and the problem remains
>>
>> Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a solution
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> TheCapt

TheCapt

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
HI

Its only a year or so old

It has a ASUS P5N32 - SLI deluxe SE Motherboard
Intel Core 2 CPU 2.66 GHz
3 Gig RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX 2 video card

Its runs at 64 bit as Vista Ultimate tries to load. No messages saying it is
not comptible.

Did try the dics in a 32 bit machine and I got a message saying it was
incompatible with that computer

TheCapt

R. C. White

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
Hi, Capt.

That hardware should be fine. But you didn't mention your hard drives or
other peripherals.

It sounds to me like Vista Setup is looking for some piece of hardware and
not finding it - and taking a long time to give up looking for it. Or it
takes a long time to transfer data each of the many times it needs to access
that hardware again. Have you checked ALL the cables/connectors? It's a
good idea to unplug everything except the bare essentials (mobo, RAM, HDD,
DVD, monitor...that's about it) before rebooting. This sounds like a
home-built system (like mine), so something could have come loose or been
plugged into the wrong slot - or something similar. (Voice of experience!)
Might even be the memory; have you tested that?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"TheCapt" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> Its only a year or so old
>
> It has a ASUS P5N32 - SLI deluxe SE Motherboard
> Intel Core 2 CPU 2.66 GHz
> 3 Gig RAM
> Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX 2 video card
>
> Its runs at 64 bit as Vista Ultimate tries to load. No messages saying it
> is not comptible.
>
> Did try the dics in a 32 bit machine and I got a message saying it was
> incompatible with that computer
>
> TheCapt

R. C. White

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
Hi, again, Capt.

The next thread after yours reminded me of another rare possibility: A
cracked DVD-ROM. No, not a pirated disk, but one with physical damage.
Have you visually inspected the disk carefully?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"TheCapt" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> Its only a year or so old
>
> It has a ASUS P5N32 - SLI deluxe SE Motherboard
> Intel Core 2 CPU 2.66 GHz
> 3 Gig RAM
> Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX 2 video card
>
> Its runs at 64 bit as Vista Ultimate tries to load. No messages saying it
> is not comptible.
>
> Did try the dics in a 32 bit machine and I got a message saying it was
> incompatible with that computer
>
> TheCapt

Ian D

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, again, Capt.
>
> The next thread after yours reminded me of another rare possibility: A
> cracked DVD-ROM. No, not a pirated disk, but one with physical damage.
> Have you visually inspected the disk carefully?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "TheCapt" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message

A quick way to test for a defective DVD is to make a copy
of the disk. If the copy fails, there is a major defect with
the original. If the copy is successful, try the installation
with the copy. Copy apps usually have better error
correction than just reading a disk, and can produce a
useful copy from an otherwise unreadable disk.

The Vista DVDs are not copy protected.

>> HI
>>
>> Its only a year or so old
>>
>> It has a ASUS P5N32 - SLI deluxe SE Motherboard
>> Intel Core 2 CPU 2.66 GHz
>> 3 Gig RAM
>> Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX 2 video card
>>
>> Its runs at 64 bit as Vista Ultimate tries to load. No messages saying it
>> is not comptible.
>>
>> Did try the dics in a 32 bit machine and I got a message saying it was
>> incompatible with that computer
>>
>> TheCapt

Ian D

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install

"BT News" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am sure this has been answered before but perhaps soemone can let me
> know the solution?
>
> I have purchase Vista Ultimate 64 full version to install on my computer
> whihc currently has XP professional installed
>
> I put the disc in the drive and boot to it and then nothing appears to
> happen for ages. After about 10 minutes I get the option to choose my zone
> and then another 10 minutes or so passes when i get asked if i want to
> install Vista and then ages and ages pass and nothing.
>
> I suspected my DVD drive so purchased a new one and the problem remains
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a solution
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> TheCapt

Try installing it with just 1 or 2 GB of RAM. Vista x64 can
have difficulty installing on systems with more than 2GB.
If installs successfully, then you can reinstall the full 3GB
after it's up and running.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
You may need a sata driver from Asus to feed it during setup.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"TheCapt" <peter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> Its only a year or so old
>
> It has a ASUS P5N32 - SLI deluxe SE Motherboard
> Intel Core 2 CPU 2.66 GHz
> 3 Gig RAM
> Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX 2 video card
>
> Its runs at 64 bit as Vista Ultimate tries to load. No messages saying it
> is not comptible.
>
> Did try the dics in a 32 bit machine and I got a message saying it was
> incompatible with that computer
>
> TheCapt

TheCapt

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 does not install
Hi Rc

Thanks for the advice

Its not a home built pc. I got it from Mesh Computers

I will try all the connectors as you suggest but the system is running fine
day to day and I have instaled other software such a photoshop cs4 etc

TheCapt