Home Premium to Ultimate

ms2009

Home Premium to Ultimate

I purchased an upgrade disc directly from Microsoft. I have Vista Home
Premium 32bit. I just started law school and must have Ultimate. When
I install the DVD, the "upgrade" option is grayed out. The message
says, the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD installation.

I have SP2 (which I just installed a few days ago, thinking that might
solve the problem). It didn't.

How can I install the upgrade? Help!

--
ms2009
SIW2

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate

I assume the dvd you are trying to install Ultimate from only includes
sp1?

If so, you would need to uninstall sp2 from your current Premium
installation , or ( better) get hold of Vista install media with sp2
already integrated.

--
SIW2
ms2009

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate

Next question, how do I know what SP the disc is?

I tried upgrade before I installed SP2...so, I am clearly unsure if the
disc has sp1 or sp2 or niether.

--
ms2009
SIW2

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate

It will probably say on it if it includes any Service Packs.

If it's quite recent, it should include SP1. Hard to believe MS would
sell you one recently without it.

Probably easier and better to get the Vista install media with SP2
already integrated.

Use that with your Vista Ult upgrade key.

Hope it helps

SIW2

ms2009;1117711 Wrote:
> I purchased an upgrade disc directly from Microsoft. I have Vista Home
> Premium 32bit. I just started law school and must have Ultimate. When I
> install the DVD, the "upgrade" option is grayed out. The message says,
> the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD installation.
>
> I have SP2 (which I just installed a few days ago, thinking that might
> solve the problem). It didn't.
>
> How can I install the upgrade? Help!

--
SIW2
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate
"ms2009" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I purchased an upgrade disc directly from Microsoft. I have Vista Home
> Premium 32bit. I just started law school and must have Ultimate. When
> I install the DVD, the "upgrade" option is grayed out. The message
> says, the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD installation.
>
> I have SP2 (which I just installed a few days ago, thinking that might
> solve the problem). It didn't.
>
> How can I install the upgrade? Help!
>

> --
> ms2009

Uninstall SP2 and try again. The dvd cannot be at a lower service pack
level than the installed OS and it sounds like it is.

TheDuck

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate
Or try slipstreaming the ultimate DVD to SP2 if it can be done. Hope you
make regular backups of the drive. If not you should start before upgrading.

"ms2009" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I purchased an upgrade disc directly from Microsoft. I have Vista Home
> Premium 32bit. I just started law school and must have Ultimate. When
> I install the DVD, the "upgrade" option is grayed out. The message
> says, the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD installation.
>
> I have SP2 (which I just installed a few days ago, thinking that might
> solve the problem). It didn't.
>
> How can I install the upgrade? Help!
>

> --
> ms2009

tbnavarro

RE: Home Premium to Ultimate
Hopefully bumping this up...I too just purchased the Ultimate Upgrade (currently have Home Premium)....wanted to to an upgrade not a clean install...also not allowed to upgrade.....geez - that's why I bought the upgrade...to keep my stuff!&nbsp; Otherwise, I'd have waited for the darn windows 7 professional upgrade I already bought....went this route to get w7 ultimate (included in purchase direct from MS) and also be able to do an upgrade....I do NOT want to do a full/clean install! I just want to upgrade

John Galt

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate
tbnavarro wrote:

>Hopefully bumping this up...I too just purchased the Ultimate Upgrade (currently have Home Premium)....wanted to to an upgrade not a clean install...also not allowed to upgrade.....geez - that's why I bought the upgrade...to keep my stuff!&nbsp; Otherwise, I'd have waited for the darn windows 7 professional upgrade I already bought....went this route to get w7 ultimate (included in purchase direct from MS) and also be able to do an upgrade....I do NOT want to do a full/clean install! I just want to upgrade

Did you READ all the posts in the thread?

You MUST be at the same SP level as the DVD.

You MUST start the upgrade process from within Windows.

BTW... "bumping" doesn't work, except on that pitiful web-based
"forum". You are actually using that to get your message out onto
Usenent where "bumping" does nothing.
Ben

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate
I just joined the list and have the same problem

I had just purchased a new Dell Studio XPs desktop and it came with Vista Home
Premium. I Install the SP2 Update.

I then purchased, from Dell, Vista Ultimate, and it came with SP1

Of Course the update version of Ultimate won't install.

How can I obtain the Vista Ultimate with SP 2.... and I hope that would solve
my problem.

Thanks

Ben
Ben

Re: Home Premium to Ultimate
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 07:50:21 -0600, Ben <bpugs@cableone.net> wrotc:

>I just joined the list and have the same problem

Problem solved... Removed SP2

Stopped the following services:
Microsoft NET Framework 3 .0\xps viewer
Remote Differential Compression
Window DFS Replication Service.

The Update (Vista Ultimate) Installed with no messages or errors.

Restarted the three services.

All is well!

Ben