vista 64 SP2 dilemma

MoFo

vista 64 SP2 dilemma

I purchased a new desktop the end of july and it came with vista 64.
Ever since then, it has been trying to update with SP2 and it always
errors off. Numerous other updates have failed also, .Net comes to mind,
but several have installed without any problems. My questions is, since
I plan on upgrading to Win 7 in October, is it worth my time to trouble
shoot this and try to figure out why some updates do not update?

TIA

--
MoFo
Rick Rogers

Re: vista 64 SP2 dilemma
Hi,

If the update fails, it may be an indicator of other underlying problems
that you may want to address before upgrading to Win7. Critical? No,
probably not as there are many causes to Windows Update failures that are
not related to malware, but I would still do a bit of investigation into the
error code(s) from the windowsupdate.log file.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"MoFo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I purchased a new desktop the end of july and it came with vista 64.
> Ever since then, it has been trying to update with SP2 and it always
> errors off. Numerous other updates have failed also, .Net comes to mind,
> but several have installed without any problems. My questions is, since
> I plan on upgrading to Win 7 in October, is it worth my time to trouble
> shoot this and try to figure out why some updates do not update?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> MoFo

Colin Barnhorst

Re: vista 64 SP2 dilemma
"MoFo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I purchased a new desktop the end of july and it came with vista 64.
> Ever since then, it has been trying to update with SP2 and it always
> errors off. Numerous other updates have failed also, .Net comes to mind,
> but several have installed without any problems. My questions is, since
> I plan on upgrading to Win 7 in October, is it worth my time to trouble
> shoot this and try to figure out why some updates do not update?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> MoFo

You will probably have problems upgrading to Win7 just as you are having
problems upgrading to SP2. One possibility is a corrupt cat file. Contact
MS for support upgrading to SP2 (free) or the computer manufacturer. Two
approaches I have used are installing SP2 in Safe Mode or performing an
upgrade install and then upgrading. For the latter you need to have a Vista
dvd that is at service pack 1 level. This is not the same as a restore
disk.

MoFo

Re: vista 64 SP2 dilemma

Unfortunately, it's one of those HP deals from Best Buy where you don't
get any CD's or DVD's at all... And when you call HP, if they can't
figure it out they want you to send it in... :sa:

--
MoFo
Curious

Re: vista 64 SP2 dilemma
The HP systems I have purchased in the last couple of years from any source
have all come with Recovery Partitions and with specific instructions on how
to copy the Recovery Partition to a set of DVDs so you can recover if your
HDD fails or gets totally corrupted.
What OS release version does your system say it has installed? It may
already have SP2 installed?

> Unfortunately, it's one of those HP deals from Best Buy where you don't
> get any CD's or DVD's at all... And when you call HP, if they can't
> figure it out they want you to send it in... :sa:
>

> --
> MoFo

MoFo

Re: vista 64 SP2 dilemma

I was able to update to SP2 this morning by closing Avast! and
downloading the stand-alone version of the update. It took about 20
minutes and presto! Thanks all for your help.

I feel much better...

--
MoFo