I need advice

mparrish31

I need advice

I have a Asus K8V-MX/S motherboard and it is nearly impossible to find
bios updates for it with an old 20 gb ide hdd and a new tb samsung sata
hdd. Currently the 20 gb has my vista home premium on it and is close
to being full and I can't load in additional programs like office etc..
I have been not been able to load vista directly to the sata because
vista won't recognize the drive because it is attached to a sata pci
controller because my mb can't find the hdd either.

I have tried several cloning programs to get the vista cloned on to the
new sata but that has turned out to be unsuccessful. I remember one
program, XXClone, telling me that ntldr and netdetect.com files couldn't
be found to make it bootable.

What options do I have at this point? Someone please help

Thanks

Michael

--
mparrish31
Richard G. Harper

Re: I need advice
Reinstall Vista on the new drive. You can't clone an IDE drive to a SATA
drive and have Windows able to start up. It won't have the proper hard
drive drives. In theory it might be possible to clone and then do a startup
repair but I would not attempt it.

"mparrish31" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Asus K8V-MX/S motherboard and it is nearly impossible to find
> bios updates for it with an old 20 gb ide hdd and a new tb samsung sata
> hdd. Currently the 20 gb has my vista home premium on it and is close
> to being full and I can't load in additional programs like office etc..
> I have been not been able to load vista directly to the sata because
> vista won't recognize the drive because it is attached to a sata pci
> controller because my mb can't find the hdd either.
>
> I have tried several cloning programs to get the vista cloned on to the
> new sata but that has turned out to be unsuccessful. I remember one
> program, XXClone, telling me that ntldr and netdetect.com files couldn't
> be found to make it bootable.
>
> What options do I have at this point? Someone please help
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>

> --
> mparrish31

mparrish31

Re: I need advice

I can't do a fresh install on the sata b/c of the mb not recognizing the
hdd and vista doesn't recognized the hdd also because it is attached via
the sata to pci controller

--
mparrish31
peter

Re: I need advice
According to what I looked up that mobo has 2 Sata and 2 IDE connectors.
why not buy a larger IDE HD hook it up and clone the old to the new??

If your mobo cannot find the SATA HD hooked directly to the Sata on the Mobo
you need to check your BIOS settings..do you actually have SATA turned on
on some of the older Board even if you don't want
Raid you need to install the Raid Sata drivers

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"mparrish31" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Asus K8V-MX/S motherboard and it is nearly impossible to find
> bios updates for it with an old 20 gb ide hdd and a new tb samsung sata
> hdd. Currently the 20 gb has my vista home premium on it and is close
> to being full and I can't load in additional programs like office etc..
> I have been not been able to load vista directly to the sata because
> vista won't recognize the drive because it is attached to a sata pci
> controller because my mb can't find the hdd either.
>
> I have tried several cloning programs to get the vista cloned on to the
> new sata but that has turned out to be unsuccessful. I remember one
> program, XXClone, telling me that ntldr and netdetect.com files couldn't
> be found to make it bootable.
>
> What options do I have at this point? Someone please help
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>

> --
> mparrish31

Tom Ferguson

Re: I need advice
I do not understand the reference to, "vista won't recognize the drive
because it is attached to a sata pci
controller because my mb can't find the hdd either".

Do you have a PCI card installed that has SATA connectors? If so and you
want to use those rather than the MoBo SATA connectors, you need to install
drivers for it before preparing the HD for use. If you are planning to boot
from the Vista DVD and install to to SATA, you need the drivers on a floppy
or USB stick. So, let us know those details so someone can help with further
details.

Also I am not sure which ASUS K8V MoBo you have.
http://www.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=k8v
K8V - MX ???
K8V - X SE ???

However, that is not critical because the most likely of them have 2 SATA
connectors on the MoBo. If you want to use one of those connectors, you need
to enter the BIOS when booting and assure that the connector you want to use
is 'on' and set to IDE. You can then take further steps to make that the
boot drive with the OS installed. So, again, let us know so someone can
advise on the details.

For example, it is possible to 'clone' the present HD to the SATA and
prepare it to be bootable. Alternately, it is possible to make a fresh OS
install and set the SATA up with your applications.

Tom Ferguson

"mparrish31" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Asus K8V-MX/S motherboard and it is nearly impossible to find
> bios updates for it with an old 20 gb ide hdd and a new tb samsung sata
> hdd. Currently the 20 gb has my vista home premium on it and is close
> to being full and I can't load in additional programs like office etc..
> I have been not been able to load vista directly to the sata because
> vista won't recognize the drive because it is attached to a sata pci
> controller because my mb can't find the hdd either.
>
> I have tried several cloning programs to get the vista cloned on to the
> new sata but that has turned out to be unsuccessful. I remember one
> program, XXClone, telling me that ntldr and netdetect.com files couldn't
> be found to make it bootable.
>
> What options do I have at this point? Someone please help
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>

> --
> mparrish31

Andy

Re: I need advice
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:41:34 -0500, mparrish31
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I can't do a fresh install on the sata b/c of the mb not recognizing the
>hdd and vista doesn't recognized the hdd also because it is attached via
>the sata to pci controller

If, during POST, the Sata drive isn't recognized, then the Bios won't
be able to boot the operating system from it, so trying to install an
OS to it is moot.
If you want Vista to see the Sata drive, install the Vista driver for
the sata to PCI controller.
Dominic Payer

Re: I need advice
See http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=445149 and note that the
board does not support SATA2 so you will need to set your disk as SATA1.

Note also that it is a custom board made for Fujitsu Siemens, so be
careful where you get any BIOS from.

If you are trying to boot from an add-on controller card you may need to
enable a "Boot other device" or similar option in the BIOS and the card
may need to have an onboard bootable BIOS.

On 18/08/2009 21:49, mparrish31 wrote:
> I have a Asus K8V-MX/S motherboard and it is nearly impossible to find
> bios updates for it with an old 20 gb ide hdd and a new tb samsung sata
> hdd. Currently the 20 gb has my vista home premium on it and is close
> to being full and I can't load in additional programs like office etc..
> I have been not been able to load vista directly to the sata because
> vista won't recognize the drive because it is attached to a sata pci
> controller because my mb can't find the hdd either.
>
> I have tried several cloning programs to get the vista cloned on to the
> new sata but that has turned out to be unsuccessful. I remember one
> program, XXClone, telling me that ntldr and netdetect.com files couldn't
> be found to make it bootable.
>
> What options do I have at this point? Someone please help
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Richard G. Harper

Re: I need advice
IF the motherboard does not recognize the drive you will never get it to run
Windows. There's no magic in Windows that "turns on" a drive the BIOS
cannot see. You need to resolve that issue before you can proceed with this
plan.

> I can't do a fresh install on the sata b/c of the mb not recognizing the
> hdd and vista doesn't recognized the hdd also because it is attached via
> the sata to pci controller
>

> --
> mparrish31

mparrish31

Re: I need advice

I had sata installed and @ post bios would read "serial ch 0 and serial
ch 1 no device" meaning that mobo wouldn't recognize when connected to
sata 1 or 2 slots. When trying to boot from Vista install disk then
sata would be recognized by vista because I had to download current
drivers and even after searching through downloaded file and trying to
install each different driver the vista install would not recognize it
even though I could move files to it if not booting from install disk.

BREAKTHRU though...last night while searching other ave I checked
available space on old ide and had 700+ mb just enough to pop in vista a
start an install while computer was booted up fully and this time the
new drive was recognized because mobo and old install of vista had seen
it working at the time and I successfully got vista installed on new
hdd. Now when I boot - asked to choose which vista install do you want
- which I understand. Now I just need to finish migrating a couple of
files from old ide to new sata and then remove old ide. Thanks for
everyone's help. I know it didn't make a lot of since but from now on I
will check more throughly to find out if a mpbo is an oem which this one
is.

One last question anyone know where to find generic 9 pin layout for
case 1394 connections - oem board = no manual and pdf manual of fuigsu
seimens board which is correct for everything else says that the
connector is optional and doesn't offer a layout.

--
mparrish31