Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive

kashigirl

Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive

Hi,

My husband and I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965.
It comes installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (SP1). We
tried installing an upgrade of Windows Ultimate using the 64-bit disc.
It crashed our hard drive. We took it back to Best Buy and they told us
that the computer just had a bad hard drive. They gave us a new
computer (exact same model). We went home, tried installing, same thing
happened. Called Toshiba. They don't know why it would be doing that.
Called Microsoft. They don't know why it would be doing that either.
We are very frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?

--
kashigirl
Curious

Re: Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive
Four questions:
1. Why do you want to upgrade Vista HP 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit?
2. Where did you obtain the installation DVD disk and product key to upgrade
to Ultimate from?
3. What steps are you following to perform the upgrade?
4. Can you still run your computer using normally or in F8 safe mode?

"kashigirl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> My husband and I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965.
> It comes installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (SP1). We
> tried installing an upgrade of Windows Ultimate using the 64-bit disc.
> It crashed our hard drive. We took it back to Best Buy and they told us
> that the computer just had a bad hard drive. They gave us a new
> computer (exact same model). We went home, tried installing, same thing
> happened. Called Toshiba. They don't know why it would be doing that.
> Called Microsoft. They don't know why it would be doing that either.
> We are very frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> --
> kashigirl

R. C. White

Re: Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive
Hi, kashigirl.

How old is the Ultimate disk? More specifically, what SP level is it?
Trying to update an SP1 edition with an older RTM edition is doomed to
failure. But that should NOT "crash our hard drive"! If that happened, I
would suspect hardware problems, even on a second brand new computer.

Perhaps we need to hear The Rest of the Story. Such as, where did you get
the Ultimate disk? Is it a retail package? Upgrade or Full version? Step
by step, exactly HOW were you attempting the upgrade?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"kashigirl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> My husband and I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965.
> It comes installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (SP1). We
> tried installing an upgrade of Windows Ultimate using the 64-bit disc.
> It crashed our hard drive. We took it back to Best Buy and they told us
> that the computer just had a bad hard drive. They gave us a new
> computer (exact same model). We went home, tried installing, same thing
> happened. Called Toshiba. They don't know why it would be doing that.
> Called Microsoft. They don't know why it would be doing that either.
> We are very frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> --
> kashigirl

Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive
It would also be useful to know exactly what you mean by, 'It crashed our
hard drive". In particular, if there were any messages, what they were.

Tom Ferguson

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, kashigirl.
>
> How old is the Ultimate disk? More specifically, what SP level is it?
> Trying to update an SP1 edition with an older RTM edition is doomed to
> failure. But that should NOT "crash our hard drive"! If that happened, I
> would suspect hardware problems, even on a second brand new computer.
>
> Perhaps we need to hear The Rest of the Story. Such as, where did you get
> the Ultimate disk? Is it a retail package? Upgrade or Full version?
> Step by step, exactly HOW were you attempting the upgrade?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>
> "kashigirl" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My husband and I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965.
>> It comes installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (SP1). We
>> tried installing an upgrade of Windows Ultimate using the 64-bit disc.
>> It crashed our hard drive. We took it back to Best Buy and they told us
>> that the computer just had a bad hard drive. They gave us a new
>> computer (exact same model). We went home, tried installing, same thing
>> happened. Called Toshiba. They don't know why it would be doing that.
>> Called Microsoft. They don't know why it would be doing that either.
>> We are very frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>

>> --
>> kashigirl

MatthewThornett

Re: Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive
Ok, well my advice would be to check with the manufacturer to see if your
specific system is compatible with Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I don't know why it
shouldn't be compatible. Second, if you still don't manage to install Vista
Ultimate onto your computer, then I would just keep Vista home premium as it
still a very good OS, and refund the Ultimate disc. That's what I'd do. Hope
this helps.

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> My husband and I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965.
> >> It comes installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (SP1). We
> >> tried installing an upgrade of Windows Ultimate using the 64-bit disc.
> >> It crashed our hard drive. We took it back to Best Buy and they told us
> >> that the computer just had a bad hard drive. They gave us a new
> >> computer (exact same model). We went home, tried installing, same thing
> >> happened. Called Toshiba. They don't know why it would be doing that.
> >> Called Microsoft. They don't know why it would be doing that either.
> >> We are very frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?
> >>

> >> --
> >> kashigirl

kashigirl

Re: Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. It turns out we just needed to do a clean
install instead of an upgrade. Installed just fine this time. Thanks
anyway!

kg

--
kashigirl
Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista Ultimate Installation Crashing Hard Drive
I'm glad it turned out well for you.

Tom Ferguson