question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista

Rage Skywolfe

question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
I just got a vista computer yesterday. the people I had gotten it from said
they installed a 64 bit system and 32 bit is what is reads on the system is
32 bit. what my question is. is the product key that is on the computer for a
64 bit or a 32 bit. and since a32 bit system was installed. if it should ever
have to be reformatede, could it be done with the disk they gave me or does
it have to be a 32 bit?
--
Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy

Skywolfe
Curious

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
If you bought a retail version of Vista then the Product Key is valid for
either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista you purchased.
If you bought Vista Ultimate then both the 32bit and the 64bit installation
disks came in the package along with a single product key. If you bought
another version only the 32 bit installation DVD came in the package and you
have to purchase the 64 bit installation DVD from MS for about $10 the key
that came with the 32 bit version will work with either.
If the Product key is an OEM key such as one that came with a sticker on the
computer then the key is normally only good for either 32 bit or 64 bit but
not both.
It sounds like your hardware system is 64 bit capable but came with 32 bit
Vista installed which is very common today.

"Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just got a vista computer yesterday. the people I had gotten it from
> said
> they installed a 64 bit system and 32 bit is what is reads on the system
> is
> 32 bit. what my question is. is the product key that is on the computer
> for a
> 64 bit or a 32 bit. and since a32 bit system was installed. if it should
> ever
> have to be reformatede, could it be done with the disk they gave me or
> does
> it have to be a 32 bit?
> --
> Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>
> Skywolfe

Rage Skywolfe

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
yeah they did. the one they gave me is an OEM software that was to be
distributed with a PC. but yes I did buy that operating system along with the
computer. the Invoice had 64 bit on it and they gave me a 64 bit disk... just
the person who installed the OS gave me 32 bit lol 32 bit is fine which is
basicaly what I wanted in the first place. and here are the specs on that..

running Vista home premium Service pack 2
Internet explorer 8
Processor is AMD ATHLON 7750 Dual Core processor. 2.70 Ghz
3GB RAM
--

"Curious" wrote:

> If you bought a retail version of Vista then the Product Key is valid for
> either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista you purchased.
> If you bought Vista Ultimate then both the 32bit and the 64bit installation
> disks came in the package along with a single product key. If you bought
> another version only the 32 bit installation DVD came in the package and you
> have to purchase the 64 bit installation DVD from MS for about $10 the key
> that came with the 32 bit version will work with either.
> If the Product key is an OEM key such as one that came with a sticker on the
> computer then the key is normally only good for either 32 bit or 64 bit but
> not both.
> It sounds like your hardware system is 64 bit capable but came with 32 bit
> Vista installed which is very common today.
>
> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just got a vista computer yesterday. the people I had gotten it from
> > said
> > they installed a 64 bit system and 32 bit is what is reads on the system
> > is
> > 32 bit. what my question is. is the product key that is on the computer
> > for a
> > 64 bit or a 32 bit. and since a32 bit system was installed. if it should
> > ever
> > have to be reformatede, could it be done with the disk they gave me or
> > does
> > it have to be a 32 bit?
> > --
> > Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
> >
> > Skywolfe

David B.

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
If you bought and paid for Vista OEM x64, and they installed Vista OEM x86,
then your running an unlicensed operating system.

--

------
> yeah they did. the one they gave me is an OEM software that was to be
> distributed with a PC. but yes I did buy that operating system along with
> the
> computer. the Invoice had 64 bit on it and they gave me a 64 bit disk...
> just
> the person who installed the OS gave me 32 bit lol 32 bit is fine which is
> basicaly what I wanted in the first place. and here are the specs on
> that..
>
> running Vista home premium Service pack 2
> Internet explorer 8
> Processor is AMD ATHLON 7750 Dual Core processor. 2.70 Ghz
> 3GB RAM
> --
> Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>
> Skywolfe
>

> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> If you bought a retail version of Vista then the Product Key is valid for
>> either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista you purchased.
>> If you bought Vista Ultimate then both the 32bit and the 64bit
>> installation
>> disks came in the package along with a single product key. If you bought
>> another version only the 32 bit installation DVD came in the package and
>> you
>> have to purchase the 64 bit installation DVD from MS for about $10 the
>> key
>> that came with the 32 bit version will work with either.
>> If the Product key is an OEM key such as one that came with a sticker on
>> the
>> computer then the key is normally only good for either 32 bit or 64 bit
>> but
>> not both.
>> It sounds like your hardware system is 64 bit capable but came with 32
>> bit
>> Vista installed which is very common today.
>>
>> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I just got a vista computer yesterday. the people I had gotten it from
>> > said
>> > they installed a 64 bit system and 32 bit is what is reads on the
>> > system
>> > is
>> > 32 bit. what my question is. is the product key that is on the computer
>> > for a
>> > 64 bit or a 32 bit. and since a32 bit system was installed. if it
>> > should
>> > ever
>> > have to be reformatede, could it be done with the disk they gave me or
>> > does
>> > it have to be a 32 bit?
>> > --
>> > Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>> >
>> > Skywolfe

Curious

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
64 Vista comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of IE.
So you may be running the 32 bit version of IE8 on your 64 bit OS.

"Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yeah they did. the one they gave me is an OEM software that was to be
> distributed with a PC. but yes I did buy that operating system along with
> the
> computer. the Invoice had 64 bit on it and they gave me a 64 bit disk...
> just
> the person who installed the OS gave me 32 bit lol 32 bit is fine which is
> basicaly what I wanted in the first place. and here are the specs on
> that..
>
> running Vista home premium Service pack 2
> Internet explorer 8
> Processor is AMD ATHLON 7750 Dual Core processor. 2.70 Ghz
> 3GB RAM
> --
> Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>
> Skywolfe
>

> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> If you bought a retail version of Vista then the Product Key is valid for
>> either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista you purchased.
>> If you bought Vista Ultimate then both the 32bit and the 64bit
>> installation
>> disks came in the package along with a single product key. If you bought
>> another version only the 32 bit installation DVD came in the package and
>> you
>> have to purchase the 64 bit installation DVD from MS for about $10 the
>> key
>> that came with the 32 bit version will work with either.
>> If the Product key is an OEM key such as one that came with a sticker on
>> the
>> computer then the key is normally only good for either 32 bit or 64 bit
>> but
>> not both.
>> It sounds like your hardware system is 64 bit capable but came with 32
>> bit
>> Vista installed which is very common today.
>>
>> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I just got a vista computer yesterday. the people I had gotten it from
>> > said
>> > they installed a 64 bit system and 32 bit is what is reads on the
>> > system
>> > is
>> > 32 bit. what my question is. is the product key that is on the computer
>> > for a
>> > 64 bit or a 32 bit. and since a32 bit system was installed. if it
>> > should
>> > ever
>> > have to be reformatede, could it be done with the disk they gave me or
>> > does
>> > it have to be a 32 bit?
>> > --
>> > Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>> >
>> > Skywolfe

R. C. White

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
Hi, Curious - and Skywolfe.

> So you may be running the 32 bit version of IE8 on your 64 bit OS.

Yes, especially since, by default, Vista x64 runs the 32-bit, not the 64-bit
edition. To get the 64-bit edition, we have to Browse to the \Program Files
(NOT Program Files (x86)) folder and run the version of iexplore.exe that we
find there.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> 64 Vista comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of IE.
> So you may be running the 32 bit version of IE8 on your 64 bit OS.
>
> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> yeah they did. the one they gave me is an OEM software that was to be
>> distributed with a PC. but yes I did buy that operating system along with
>> the
>> computer. the Invoice had 64 bit on it and they gave me a 64 bit disk...
>> just
>> the person who installed the OS gave me 32 bit lol 32 bit is fine which
>> is
>> basicaly what I wanted in the first place. and here are the specs on
>> that..
>>
>> running Vista home premium Service pack 2
>> Internet explorer 8
>> Processor is AMD ATHLON 7750 Dual Core processor. 2.70 Ghz
>> 3GB RAM
>> --
>> Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>>
>> Skywolfe
>>

>> "Curious" wrote:
>>
>>> If you bought a retail version of Vista then the Product Key is valid
>>> for
>>> either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista you purchased.
>>> If you bought Vista Ultimate then both the 32bit and the 64bit
>>> installation
>>> disks came in the package along with a single product key. If you
>>> bought
>>> another version only the 32 bit installation DVD came in the package and
>>> you
>>> have to purchase the 64 bit installation DVD from MS for about $10 the
>>> key
>>> that came with the 32 bit version will work with either.
>>> If the Product key is an OEM key such as one that came with a sticker on
>>> the
>>> computer then the key is normally only good for either 32 bit or 64 bit
>>> but
>>> not both.
>>> It sounds like your hardware system is 64 bit capable but came with 32
>>> bit
>>> Vista installed which is very common today.
>>>
>>> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Rage Skywolfe

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
I didn't know it was 64 bit until I saw it on the invioce. it wasn't
something that was rewuested it was just put on there.

"64 Vista comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of IE.
So you may be running the 32 bit version of IE8 on your 64 bit OS."

but why wouly it say in the computer system info that is running a 32 bit
Operating system when it is 64? and where can I find out if it is 64 or not.
--

"David B." wrote:

> If you bought and paid for Vista OEM x64, and they installed Vista OEM x86,
> then your running an unlicensed operating system.
>
> --
>

> ------
> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yeah they did. the one they gave me is an OEM software that was to be
> > distributed with a PC. but yes I did buy that operating system along with
> > the
> > computer. the Invoice had 64 bit on it and they gave me a 64 bit disk...
> > just
> > the person who installed the OS gave me 32 bit lol 32 bit is fine which is
> > basicaly what I wanted in the first place. and here are the specs on
> > that..
> >
> > running Vista home premium Service pack 2
> > Internet explorer 8
> > Processor is AMD ATHLON 7750 Dual Core processor. 2.70 Ghz
> > 3GB RAM
> > --
> > Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
> >
> > Skywolfe
> >

> > "Curious" wrote:
> >
> >> If you bought a retail version of Vista then the Product Key is valid for
> >> either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista you purchased.
> >> If you bought Vista Ultimate then both the 32bit and the 64bit
> >> installation
> >> disks came in the package along with a single product key. If you bought
> >> another version only the 32 bit installation DVD came in the package and
> >> you
> >> have to purchase the 64 bit installation DVD from MS for about $10 the
> >> key
> >> that came with the 32 bit version will work with either.
> >> If the Product key is an OEM key such as one that came with a sticker on
> >> the
> >> computer then the key is normally only good for either 32 bit or 64 bit
> >> but
> >> not both.
> >> It sounds like your hardware system is 64 bit capable but came with 32
> >> bit
> >> Vista installed which is very common today.

David B.

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
Right click "computer" and select properties, it will state either 32 bit OS
or 64 bit OS under System Type.

--

------
>I didn't know it was 64 bit until I saw it on the invioce. it wasn't
> something that was rewuested it was just put on there.
>
> "64 Vista comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of IE.
> So you may be running the 32 bit version of IE8 on your 64 bit OS."
>
> but why wouly it say in the computer system info that is running a 32 bit
> Operating system when it is 64? and where can I find out if it is 64 or
> not.
> --
>
> Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>
> Skywolfe
>

> "David B." wrote:
>
>> If you bought and paid for Vista OEM x64, and they installed Vista OEM
>> x86,
>> then your running an unlicensed operating system.
>>
>> --
>>

>> ------
>> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > yeah they did. the one they gave me is an OEM software that was to be
>> > distributed with a PC. but yes I did buy that operating system along
>> > with
>> > the
>> > computer. the Invoice had 64 bit on it and they gave me a 64 bit
>> > disk...
>> > just
>> > the person who installed the OS gave me 32 bit lol 32 bit is fine which
>> > is
>> > basicaly what I wanted in the first place. and here are the specs on
>> > that..
>> >
>> > running Vista home premium Service pack 2
>> > Internet explorer 8
>> > Processor is AMD ATHLON 7750 Dual Core processor. 2.70 Ghz
>> > 3GB RAM
>> > --
>> > Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>> >
>> > Skywolfe

Rage Skywolfe

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
yep, and it says 32 bit
--

"David B." wrote:

> Right click "computer" and select properties, it will state either 32 bit OS
> or 64 bit OS under System Type.
>
> --
>

> ------
> "Rage Skywolfe" <RageSkywolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I didn't know it was 64 bit until I saw it on the invioce. it wasn't
> > something that was rewuested it was just put on there.
> >
> > "64 Vista comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of IE.
> > So you may be running the 32 bit version of IE8 on your 64 bit OS."
> >
> > but why wouly it say in the computer system info that is running a 32 bit
> > Operating system when it is 64? and where can I find out if it is 64 or
> > not.
> > --
> >
> > Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
> >
> > Skywolfe
> >

> > "David B." wrote:
> >
> >> If you bought and paid for Vista OEM x64, and they installed Vista OEM
> >> x86,
> >> then your running an unlicensed operating system.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> ------

David B.

Re: question on 64 and 32 bit versions of Vista
I'd be back at the shop demanding they install what I bought, paid for, and
am licensed for, then I'd find a new shop as they obviously are pretty
clueless on Microsoft's licensing.

--

------