Installation Unsuccessful

MatthewThornett

Installation Unsuccessful
When I insert the DVD, I click on 'Install Now' and the whole installation
process works fine. But, right at the very end, it says 'Completing
Installation'. Then, it says 'The installation was unsuccessful so the
computer is reverting back to your previous version of windows'. Then my
computer restarts back as Windows XP.
I have made sure I have all the system requirements and have downloaded and
run the upgrade advisor.
I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop first and it works
fine. It just doesn't seem to want to install on my desktop computer.

Someone please help.
Bill Daggett

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
MatthewThornett <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I insert the DVD, I click on 'Install Now' and the whole installation
>process works fine. But, right at the very end, it says 'Completing
>Installation'. Then, it says 'The installation was unsuccessful so the
>computer is reverting back to your previous version of windows'. Then my
>computer restarts back as Windows XP.
>I have made sure I have all the system requirements and have downloaded and
>run the upgrade advisor.
>I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop first and it works
>fine. It just doesn't seem to want to install on my desktop computer.
>
>Someone please help.

That normally happens when there is some critical incompatibility
during an upgrade installation.

MatthewThornett

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
Well what should I do differently to make it install properly? because I've
tried installing it with upgrades and without upgrades... What should I do?
David B.

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
First thing to do is make sure the machine meets the minimum requirements
for Vista.

--

------
"MatthewThornett" <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> Well what should I do differently to make it install properly? because
> I've
> tried installing it with upgrades and without upgrades... What should I
> do?

Bill Daggett

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
MatthewThornett <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well what should I do differently to make it install properly? because I've
>tried installing it with upgrades and without upgrades... What should I do?

Vista doesn't like something about your computer's hardware, and that
won't be easy to figure out if the compatibility wizard says it's all
OK.

Figuring it out would require some significant hands-on time and a lot
of spare parts... i.e., you're not going to find out this way.

Stick with XP or get ready to spend a lot of money on more hardware.
Peter Foldes

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
Install what ???

--
Peter

> When I insert the DVD, I click on 'Install Now' and the whole installation
> process works fine. But, right at the very end, it says 'Completing
> Installation'. Then, it says 'The installation was unsuccessful so the
> computer is reverting back to your previous version of windows'. Then my
> computer restarts back as Windows XP.
> I have made sure I have all the system requirements and have downloaded and
> run the upgrade advisor.
> I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop first and it works
> fine. It just doesn't seem to want to install on my desktop computer.
>
> Someone please help.

MatthewThornett

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
Windows Vista Home Premium. I am in the vista category lol.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Install what ???
>
> --
> Peter

> "MatthewThornett" <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I insert the DVD, I click on 'Install Now' and the whole installation
> > process works fine. But, right at the very end, it says 'Completing
> > Installation'. Then, it says 'The installation was unsuccessful so the
> > computer is reverting back to your previous version of windows'. Then my
> > computer restarts back as Windows XP.
> > I have made sure I have all the system requirements and have downloaded and
> > run the upgrade advisor.
> > I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop first and it works
> > fine. It just doesn't seem to want to install on my desktop computer.
> >
> > Someone please help.

DL

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
You origonally stated " I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop
first "
does this mean you are trying to install using the same dvd & key?

If that is the case; 1 dvd + 1 key = 1 PC

"MatthewThornett" <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9D3CD5F3-5041-4996-B9F2-24A3C1665D66@microsoft.com...
> Windows Vista Home Premium. I am in the vista category lol.
>
> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> Install what ???
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "MatthewThornett" <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > When I insert the DVD, I click on 'Install Now' and the whole
>> > installation
>> > process works fine. But, right at the very end, it says 'Completing
>> > Installation'. Then, it says 'The installation was unsuccessful so the
>> > computer is reverting back to your previous version of windows'. Then
>> > my
>> > computer restarts back as Windows XP.
>> > I have made sure I have all the system requirements and have downloaded
>> > and
>> > run the upgrade advisor.
>> > I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop first and it works
>> > fine. It just doesn't seem to want to install on my desktop computer.
>> >
>> > Someone please help.

MatthewThornett

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
Oh ok, so if I reinstall Windows XP bak onto my laptop, can I then install
vista HP onto my desktop computer?

"DL" wrote:

> You origonally stated " I have installed the vista home premium on my laptop
> first "
> does this mean you are trying to install using the same dvd & key?
>
> If that is the case; 1 dvd + 1 key = 1 PC
>
> "MatthewThornett" <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:9D3CD5F3-5041-4996-B9F2-24A3C1665D66@microsoft.com...
> > Windows Vista Home Premium. I am in the vista category lol.
> >
> > "Peter Foldes" wrote:
> >
> >> Install what ???
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> >> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
> >>
> >> "MatthewThornett" <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Bill Daggett

Re: Installation Unsuccessful
MatthewThornett <MatthewThornett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Oh ok, so if I reinstall Windows XP bak onto my laptop, can I then install
>vista HP onto my desktop computer?

No. The problem was NOT one with activation, although IF you had
succeeded in installing it, you WOULD have had that problem.

Your hardware is incompatible. Stay with things as they now are on
both computers.