Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Can't dual boot vista/7

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
MasterAlex
 

Posts: n/a
Can't dual boot vista/7

So here's the deal: My computer will not boot into Windows.

I have a 250 GB HDD and a 500 GB HDD. the 250 GB had Vista x64 on it
and then I partitioned it with Acronis (after backing it up to the 500
GB HDD) so I could install Windows 7 x64 on the smaller (about 55 GB)
partition that I have just made. That didn't work so I reformatted my
250 with Acronis (the backup that I had) and tried to install Win7 on
the 250 and just make a small partition from the installation screen.
Now when I try to boot up there is just a black screen with a white
blinking hash mark in the upper left corner. When I use a boot disk it
does show that there is partition on the 250 GB and both Vista and 7 are
installed, but for some reason I can't seem to boot to them.

Long story short: I want to be able to dual boot to windows vista or
windows 7. How do I do that?


IF YOU DIDN'T READ THAT PARAGRAPH BASICALLY I HAVE VISTA
AND 7 INSTALLED IN TWO PARTITIONS ON ONE HDD AND IT WONT BOOT, AND I
WOULD LIKE IT TO BE ABLE TO BOOT INTO EITHER ONE.


sorry if this isn't the right forum to post in


--
MasterAlex
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
Tom Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7
Did you start Windows Vista 64 bit and start the install of Windows 7 64
from within Vista _or- did you install Windows 7 64 bit by booting from its
DVD _or_ did you do it some other way?

Tom Ferguson


"MasterAlex" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:1964ad4aa03517b69b834018571d6e7a@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> So here's the deal: My computer will not boot into Windows.
>
> I have a 250 GB HDD and a 500 GB HDD. the 250 GB had Vista x64 on it
> and then I partitioned it with Acronis (after backing it up to the 500
> GB HDD) so I could install Windows 7 x64 on the smaller (about 55 GB)
> partition that I have just made. That didn't work so I reformatted my
> 250 with Acronis (the backup that I had) and tried to install Win7 on
> the 250 and just make a small partition from the installation screen.
> Now when I try to boot up there is just a black screen with a white
> blinking hash mark in the upper left corner. When I use a boot disk it
> does show that there is partition on the 250 GB and both Vista and 7 are
> installed, but for some reason I can't seem to boot to them.
>
> Long story short: I want to be able to dual boot to windows vista or
> windows 7. How do I do that?
>
>
> IF YOU DIDN'T READ THAT PARAGRAPH BASICALLY I HAVE VISTA
> AND 7 INSTALLED IN TWO PARTITIONS ON ONE HDD AND IT WONT BOOT, AND I
> WOULD LIKE IT TO BE ABLE TO BOOT INTO EITHER ONE.
>
>
> sorry if this isn't the right forum to post in
>
>
> --
> MasterAlex


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
MasterAlex
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7

I originally just had the 250GB HDD as vista. Then I put win7 on the
new 60 GB partition. so no, i did not install 7 from within vista


--
MasterAlex
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7
Hi, Alex.

I know you are posting in a "forum", which forwards your bare-naked posts to
Microsoft's public news server, where Tom and I are reading them. But the
"forum" does not bother to forward the context, so would you please quote
the prior context in each message.

You did not answer Tom's question directly. I GUESS you mean that you
booted from the Win7 DVD to run Win7 Setup. Setup SHOULD have asked you
which partition you wanted to use for Win7. It then would have created the
\Windows folder on that partition and installed the bulk of Win7 there. It
would also have updated the startup files on the System Partition - which
already held the startup files for Vista - to create the dual-boot menu.

So the question is: Why didn't Setup behave as expected?

I've never used Acronis and I got confused with your adventure tale about
it. You SHOULD have just used Vista's Disk Management to shrink your
original partition. Then you could have either created your new partition
with Disk Management before installing Win7, or let Win7 Setup create and
format it as part of the Win7 installation.

Both Vista and Win7 will respect your existing drive letters if you install
from a Windows desktop, such as by running Win7 Setup while booted into
Vista. But if you run Setup by booting from the DVD, then Setup does not
know the letters assigned by the previous OS, so it starts from scratch. It
assigns C: to its on "boot volume" (see KB 314470 for the definition of
"boot volume" - which is NOT what most users expect). And then it assigns
D: to the "system volume", which Vista probably calls C:.

Win7 adds a new wrinkle by creating a small system partition with no drive
letter in some cases, but I don't now if that would have happened in your
case. Does Disk Management reveal such a partition on your computer?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"MasterAlex" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:e4a913d3333467d7c77619d3d3d07f09@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I originally just had the 250GB HDD as vista. Then I put win7 on the
> new 60 GB partition. so no, i did not install 7 from within vista
>
>
> --
> MasterAlex


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
Keith
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

MasterAlex wrote:
> So here's the deal: My computer will not boot into Windows.
>
> I have a 250 GB HDD and a 500 GB HDD. the 250 GB had Vista x64 on it
> and then I partitioned it with Acronis (after backing it up to the 500
> GB HDD) so I could install Windows 7 x64 on the smaller (about 55 GB)
> partition that I have just made. That didn't work so I reformatted my
> 250 with Acronis (the backup that I had) and tried to install Win7 on
> the 250 and just make a small partition from the installation screen.
> Now when I try to boot up there is just a black screen with a white
> blinking hash mark in the upper left corner. When I use a boot disk it
> does show that there is partition on the 250 GB and both Vista and 7 are
> installed, but for some reason I can't seem to boot to them.
>
> Long story short: I want to be able to dual boot to windows vista or
> windows 7. How do I do that?
>
>
> IF YOU DIDN'T READ THAT PARAGRAPH BASICALLY I HAVE VISTA
> AND 7 INSTALLED IN TWO PARTITIONS ON ONE HDD AND IT WONT BOOT, AND I
> WOULD LIKE IT TO BE ABLE TO BOOT INTO EITHER ONE.
>
>
> sorry if this isn't the right forum to post in
>
>


You may have damaged the Master Boot Record (MBR). Here is how to fix
for XP and Vista.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

- --
Best Regards, Keith
http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAkqDBxIACgkQgvlh1smTcVUBSQCeOEgGXxv7PU 57DG2Bme1bcIJi
dp0AoIE7f2bSFkQ/Xckrl1nCP1rwKTFw
=C15x
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7
"MasterAlex" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:e4a913d3333467d7c77619d3d3d07f09@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I originally just had the 250GB HDD as vista. Then I put win7 on the
> new 60 GB partition. so no, i did not install 7 from within vista
>
>
> --
> MasterAlex


Then try starting Vista and insert the W7 dvd and work from the splash
screen. You can select the target volume during setup and use the second
drive for W7.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7
I have a 120GB HDD which has two 60GB partitions one of which has Vista 32
HP installed on it. The other partition has some old XP backup files on it.
I installed Win7 by running the setup program on the ISO disk from Vista
onto the the Old XP partition and was not only fast but dual boot works
perfectly between the vista and Win7 partitions.

"Keith" <kilowattradio@use-reply-to.invalid> wrote in message
news:h5v1e9$mca$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> MasterAlex wrote:
>> So here's the deal: My computer will not boot into Windows.
>>
>> I have a 250 GB HDD and a 500 GB HDD. the 250 GB had Vista x64 on it
>> and then I partitioned it with Acronis (after backing it up to the 500
>> GB HDD) so I could install Windows 7 x64 on the smaller (about 55 GB)
>> partition that I have just made. That didn't work so I reformatted my
>> 250 with Acronis (the backup that I had) and tried to install Win7 on
>> the 250 and just make a small partition from the installation screen.
>> Now when I try to boot up there is just a black screen with a white
>> blinking hash mark in the upper left corner. When I use a boot disk it
>> does show that there is partition on the 250 GB and both Vista and 7 are
>> installed, but for some reason I can't seem to boot to them.
>>
>> Long story short: I want to be able to dual boot to windows vista or
>> windows 7. How do I do that?
>>
>>
>> IF YOU DIDN'T READ THAT PARAGRAPH BASICALLY I HAVE VISTA
>> AND 7 INSTALLED IN TWO PARTITIONS ON ONE HDD AND IT WONT BOOT, AND I
>> WOULD LIKE IT TO BE ABLE TO BOOT INTO EITHER ONE.
>>
>>
>> sorry if this isn't the right forum to post in
>>
>>

>
> You may have damaged the Master Boot Record (MBR). Here is how to fix
> for XP and Vista.
>
> http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/
>
> - --
> Best Regards, Keith
> http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkqDBxIACgkQgvlh1smTcVUBSQCeOEgGXxv7PU 57DG2Bme1bcIJi
> dp0AoIE7f2bSFkQ/Xckrl1nCP1rwKTFw
> =C15x
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009
Tom Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7
One possibility:

Put the Acronis disk in the drive. Boot from it. Delete the partition(s)
that contain Windows 7. Be careful!

Shut the machine down. Try booting to Vista. If it boots, great! If it does
not, put the Vista disk in the drive and boot from the DVD. Use it to fix
the boot loader. There are instructions available at various sites. Google
or Bing for it. Any questions, post back.

Once the loader is fixed, boot to Vista. Put the Windows 7 in the drive and
start the installer from within Vista. Be careful to choose the correct
target partition as you go through the 7 install process.

Upon completion, the system should be bootable to either system using the
Windows Boot Manager.

I emphasize that this is but one way. There are others. It can be done
without use of Acronis or any other non MS tools.

Good luck.
Tom



"MasterAlex" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:e4a913d3333467d7c77619d3d3d07f09@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I originally just had the 250GB HDD as vista. Then I put win7 on the
> new 60 GB partition. so no, i did not install 7 from within vista
>
>
> --
> MasterAlex


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009
MasterAlex
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't dual boot vista/7

R. C. White;1111177 Wrote:
> Hi, Alex.
>
> I know you are posting in a "forum", which forwards your bare-naked
> posts to
> Microsoft's public news server, where Tom and I are reading them. But
> the
> "forum" does not bother to forward the context, so would you please
> quote
> the prior context in each message.
>
> You did not answer Tom's question directly. I GUESS you mean that you
> booted from the Win7 DVD to run Win7 Setup. Setup SHOULD have asked
> you
> which partition you wanted to use for Win7. It then would have created
> the
> \Windows folder on that partition and installed the bulk of Win7 there.
> It
> would also have updated the startup files on the System Partition -
> which
> already held the startup files for Vista - to create the dual-boot
> menu.
>
> So the question is: Why didn't Setup behave as expected?
>
> I've never used Acronis and I got confused with your adventure tale
> about
> it. You SHOULD have just used Vista's Disk Management to shrink your
> original partition. Then you could have either created your new
> partition
> with Disk Management before installing Win7, or let Win7 Setup create
> and
> format it as part of the Win7 installation.
>
> Both Vista and Win7 will respect your existing drive letters if you
> install
> from a Windows desktop, such as by running Win7 Setup while booted
> into
> Vista. But if you run Setup by booting from the DVD, then Setup does
> not
> know the letters assigned by the previous OS, so it starts from
> scratch. It
> assigns C: to its on "boot volume" (see KB 314470 for the definition
> of
> "boot volume" - which is NOT what most users expect). And then it
> assigns
> D: to the "system volume", which Vista probably calls C:.
>
> Win7 adds a new wrinkle by creating a small system partition with no
> drive
> letter in some cases, but I don't now if that would have happened in
> your
> case. Does Disk Management reveal such a partition on your computer?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@xxxxxx
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>
> "MasterAlex" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:e4a913d3333467d7c77619d3d3d07f09@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > I originally just had the 250GB HDD as vista. Then I put win7 on

> > the
> > > new 60 GB partition. so no, i did not install 7 from within vista
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > MasterAlex > >


Thank you very much for replying,


I tried bootrec.exe /fixboot and it appeared to work, I could boot
into either Windows7 or "Windows Vista (recovered)" and when I booted
into Windows 7 it wanted to do a check disk, which I cancelled. Then
when I got into the OS there were a lot of errors, missing and corrupted
files and the like, and then it restarted and went back to the boot menu
and I chose vista this time, then I allowed it to check the disk. It
said that it had fixed an error and rebooted and now I'm back to where I
was. Sometime the recboot.exe doesn't even work (it says it doesn't
recognize the command). I tried to rebuild the bcd and it didn't work.


--
MasterAlex
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting back a Vista boot after removing Linux (dual-boot GRUB menu) Rob microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 05-18-2008 19:41
How change from dual boot to single boot Vista? Kris microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-26-2008 16:13
ActiveSync ruined my dual-boot - how to restore Vista boot order? lawless314 microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 02-29-2008 06:29
Dual Boot partendo da XP installato su HD boot per mettere ... VISTA Duncan microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 5 07-21-2007 09:59
Removing Vista from a dual boot w/XP: fixmbr/fixboot not restoring boot.ini Dan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 02-28-2007 21:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:12.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120