install with vista cd a, use licence key from vista cd b

deadrabit

install with vista cd a, use licence key from vista cd b

Hi all,

I have access to to windows vista versions through the MSDN academic
alliance (free microsoft stuff, woo!) anyway, the upgrade editions of
vista aren't available through that and keeping my software and work is
a major priority.

now, my next door neighbour has the upgrade version of vista business
64 bit which is also available via MSDNAA so can I use his upgrade
version to keep my software but install using my licence key from
MSDNAA?

thanks,
D.R

--
deadrabit
peter

Re: install with vista cd a, use licence key from vista cd b
its not a matter of using a license key....it's a matter of what you have on
your machine now
do you have 32 or 64 bit version of Vista....32 bit cannot be "upgraded" to
64 bit. It needs a New Install.
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"deadrabit" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I have access to to windows vista versions through the MSDN academic
> alliance (free microsoft stuff, woo!) anyway, the upgrade editions of
> vista aren't available through that and keeping my software and work is
> a major priority.
>
> now, my next door neighbour has the upgrade version of vista business
> 64 bit which is also available via MSDNAA so can I use his upgrade
> version to keep my software but install using my licence key from
> MSDNAA?
>
> thanks,
> D.R
>

> --
> deadrabit

Curious

Re: install with vista cd a, use licence key from vista cd b
Vista 32 bit can not be "inplace" upgraded to 64 bit Vista but it can be
replaced with "64 Bit Vista" if you have an upgrade license.

"peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> its not a matter of using a license key....it's a matter of what you have
> on your machine now
> do you have 32 or 64 bit version of Vista....32 bit cannot be "upgraded"
> to 64 bit. It needs a New Install.
> peter
>
> --
> If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
> or disruptive,please ignore it.
> If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
> to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
>
> "deadrabit" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have access to to windows vista versions through the MSDN academic
>> alliance (free microsoft stuff, woo!) anyway, the upgrade editions of
>> vista aren't available through that and keeping my software and work is
>> a major priority.
>>
>> now, my next door neighbour has the upgrade version of vista business
>> 64 bit which is also available via MSDNAA so can I use his upgrade
>> version to keep my software but install using my licence key from
>> MSDNAA?
>>
>> thanks,
>> D.R
>>

>> --
>> deadrabit

Rick Rogers

Re: install with vista cd a, use licence key from vista cd b
Hi,

The disk matters not as it is the Product Key that dictates usage. If your
key only allows for a clean installation, then that's all you can do with
it. Also, as has been indicated by others, if your current installation is a
32-bit OS, then you cannot "upgrade" to a 64-bit one as there is no upgrade
path, it's clean install only.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/