Minimum Disk Space for V. Business

St

Minimum Disk Space for V. Business
What is the bare minimum for Vista Biz system partition? For Win7, its
official requirement is "16 GB", but actually it's 5723MB. What's the
case with Vista?
Ray Luca

Re: Minimum Disk Space for V. Business
St <sandy@localdomain> wrote:

>What is the bare minimum for Vista Biz system partition? For Win7, its
>official requirement is "16 GB", but actually it's 5723MB. What's the
>case with Vista?

A better question is what's the minimum IQ that one should have to be
allowed to operate a computer and cruise the Internet.
Rick Rogers

Re: Minimum Disk Space for V. Business
Hi St,

A "bare minimum" figure is really pointless, as the system will rapidly
become unusable. As with other versions of Windows, that actual drive space
occupied by the OS is *not* the minimum space needed since additional space
is needed for expansion of temp files during installation and operation, as
well as for paging. How much is not defined by a set amount, but rather by
how the system is used and what programs are installed to support that use.

Vista Business recommends a minimum of 40GB drive space with at least 15GB
free space. The actual amount occupied by the system files after
installation will vary dependent on which features are installed, generally
between 5-7GB.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"St" <sandy@localdomain> wrote in message
> What is the bare minimum for Vista Biz system partition? For Win7, its
> official requirement is "16 GB", but actually it's 5723MB. What's the case
> with Vista?

St

On 8 августа 19:06, Rick Rogers wrote:
> Hi St,
>
> A "bare minimum" figure is really pointless, as the system will rapidly
> become unusable. As with other versions of Windows, that actual drive
> space occupied by the OS is *not* the minimum space needed since
> additional space is needed for expansion of temp files during
> installation and operation, as well as for paging. How much is not
> defined by a set amount, but rather by how the system is used and what
> programs are installed to support that use.
>
> Vista Business recommends a minimum of 40GB drive space with at least
> 15GB free space. The actual amount occupied by the system files after
> installation will vary dependent on which features are installed,
> generally between 5-7GB.

Thanks, Rick. Actually, it's gonna be virtual machine install to test
the single application, so long-term operationability is not required
whs

St;1108479 Wrote:
> On 8 августа 19:06, Rick Rogers wrote:> > >
> > > Hi St,
> > >
> > > A "bare minimum" figure is really pointless, as the system will

> > rapidly
> > > become unusable. As with other versions of Windows, that actual drive
> > > space occupied by the OS is *not* the minimum space needed since
> > > additional space is needed for expansion of temp files during
> > > installation and operation, as well as for paging. How much is not
> > > defined by a set amount, but rather by how the system is used and

> > what
> > > programs are installed to support that use.
> > >
> > > Vista Business recommends a minimum of 40GB drive space with at least
> > > 15GB free space. The actual amount occupied by the system files after
> > > installation will vary dependent on which features are installed,
> > > generally between 5-7GB.
> > > > >

> Thanks, Rick. Actually, it's gonna be virtual machine install to test
> the single application, so long-term operationability is not required

In a virtual partition the required space is usually dynamically
allocated. I would define a maximum of 20GBs for the purpose.

--
whs
Colin Barnhorst

"whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> St;1108479 Wrote:

>> > rapidly
>> > what

>> Thanks, Rick. Actually, it's gonna be virtual machine install to test
>> the single application, so long-term operationability is not required
>>

> In a virtual partition the required space is usually dynamically
> allocated. I would define a maximum of 20GBs for the purpose.
>

> --
> whs

With all due respect I think that 20GB is too small. I would simply use a
dynamically expanding VHD and accept the defaults VPC uses for a Vista
setup. The actual space used on the host HD should be acceptible for the
OP.

whs

Colin Barnhorst;1108503 Wrote:
> "whs" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:e5d1d474a65c19a66aa9d87491714c82@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

> > > test
> > > required
> > > >> > > > >

> > > In a virtual partition the required space is usually dynamically
> > > allocated. I would define a maximum of 20GBs for the purpose.
> > >

> > > --
> > > whs > >

> With all due respect I think that 20GB is too small. I would simply
> use a
> dynamically expanding VHD and accept the defaults VPC uses for a
> Vista
> setup. The actual space used on the host HD should be acceptible for
> the
> OP.

Colin, for a permanent setup I would agree with you. But the OP wanted
to only test one single application. It was in view of that I
recommended the 20GBs. But a larger allocation cannot hurt. If it is not
needed, it will not be used anyhow.

--
whs
Colin Barnhorst

> Colin Barnhorst;1108503 Wrote:
>> "whs" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:e5d1d474a65c19a66aa9d87491714c82@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> With all due respect I think that 20GB is too small. I would simply
>> use a
>> dynamically expanding VHD and accept the defaults VPC uses for a
>> Vista
>> setup. The actual space used on the host HD should be acceptible for
>> the
>> OP.

> Colin, for a permanent setup I would agree with you. But the OP wanted
> to only test one single application. It was in view of that I
> recommended the 20GBs. But a larger allocation cannot hurt. If it is not
> needed, it will not be used anyhow.
>

> --
> whs

Correct. The defaul vhd should be fine. When I am testing something I use
a default config just to eliminate issues relating to settings. One never
knows.