Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2009
DoubleJay
 

Posts: n/a
Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed

Hello to the computer gods,
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium and it has been running
great until this morning when I tried to turn on my computer. It took
forever just to get
me to a random blue screen where it then stalled and about ten minutes
later a box came up and asked me which language I would like to use.
Since Wookie was not listed I settled for English. Then another few
minutes went by until my computer painfully popped up another box asking
which driver I would like to select so that I could run Startup Repair.
However, there aren't any drivers listed! What do I do from here? I have
a tendency to push the big button that says launch so I just clicked
next without selecting any drivers (mostly because there weren't any to
choose from). It then began Startup Repair, hooray! But hours went by
and finnaly I came home from work and it was finally done repairing. It
said it repaired everything and all I needed to do was restart and
everything would be just fine and dandy. But was it? Well, that's where
you fit in oh great computer gods. Will you answer my prayers? What
should I do? Possibly a mouse sacrafice? A computer mouse that is...


--
DoubleJay
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed
DoubleJay wrote:

>
> Hello to the computer gods,
> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium and it has been running
> great until this morning when I tried to turn on my computer. It took
> forever just to get
> me to a random blue screen where it then stalled and about ten minutes
> later a box came up and asked me which language I would like to use.
> Since Wookie was not listed I settled for English. Then another few
> minutes went by until my computer painfully popped up another box asking
> which driver I would like to select so that I could run Startup Repair.
> However, there aren't any drivers listed! What do I do from here? I have
> a tendency to push the big button that says launch so I just clicked
> next without selecting any drivers (mostly because there weren't any to
> choose from). It then began Startup Repair, hooray! But hours went by
> and finnaly I came home from work and it was finally done repairing. It
> said it repaired everything and all I needed to do was restart and
> everything would be just fine and dandy. But was it? Well, that's where
> you fit in oh great computer gods. Will you answer my prayers? What
> should I do? Possibly a mouse sacrafice? A computer mouse that is...


It sounds like hardware failure. You can try and troubleshoot this yourself
if you have the skills.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

If the computer is still under warranty, contact the mftr.'s tech support.

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts with
known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2009
DoubleJay
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed

Thank you! I am glad you had such a fast response, but it seems my fears
are realized, I will probably have to take this laptop to a professional
so I don't do anymore damage to it. With my luck if I tried tampering
with any hardware the next time I turned it on it would probably open a
wormhole in the time space continuum and cause everything we know to
cease in existence. Thanks you for your help though! If anyone has any
last minute ideas let me know.


--
DoubleJay
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed
DoubleJay wrote:

>
> Thank you! I am glad you had such a fast response, but it seems my fears
> are realized, I will probably have to take this laptop to a professional
> so I don't do anymore damage to it. With my luck if I tried tampering
> with any hardware the next time I turned it on it would probably open a
> wormhole in the time space continuum and cause everything we know to
> cease in existence. Thanks you for your help though! If anyone has any
> last minute ideas let me know.


It's a wise person who knows his/her limitations. Thank you for not opening
a wormhole. The last one was really hard to get rid of.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2009
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed


"DoubleJay" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:e62b3f046fd821430af446c8449c524a@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Thank you! I am glad you had such a fast response, but it seems my fears
> are realized, I will probably have to take this laptop to a professional
> so I don't do anymore damage to it. With my luck if I tried tampering
> with any hardware the next time I turned it on it would probably open a
> wormhole in the time space continuum and cause everything we know to
> cease in existence. Thanks you for your help though! If anyone has any
> last minute ideas let me know.


> DoubleJay


Hello DoubleJay--

What intrigued me was this: You say you ran Startup Repair and it told you
it completed successfully. And at that point you posted to this thread
without telling us what happened when you restarted! It begs the question
what on earth happened when you restarted??????? In fact--did Startup Repair
repair DoubleJay's box?????? I dunno from what you've written. Malke says
it smells like a hdw problem to him, but it always seems to smell like a hdw
problem to Malke with all respect due because Malke posts a lot of good
advice except when every BSOD/Stop makes Malke think hdw problem.

1) Statistically the vast majority of blue screens, stop errors, black
screens, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 RTM and every other build no starts,
stalls at the Welcome Screen (Win 7 RTM has some of them in store for
people) are SOFTWARE problems rather than hardware problems.

2) You havenothing to lose by trying to fix a software problem and certainly
only minutes to invest in time.

3) Malke has a good hardware check guide, and you can check your hadware and
connections easily if you're using a desktop (you didn't say).

3) I don't know if you received a stop error, but they are often nebulous as
to the cause--the differential diagnosis can be non-specifically wide, and
many of them can point to mixed hdw or software errors. Again, the vast
majority are software errors.

In addition to Startup Repair, you can try the command line option at the
same place, and try to run the bootrec commands to see if they get you
fixed.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

You also have System Restore availabe as one of the repair options listed if
you have a restore point that's appropriate, and system restore was on.

Good luck,

CH








Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2009
DoubleJay
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stuck in Startup Repair w/o OS listed

Hello Chad,
Thank you for responding to my post, and for your insightful points.
To answer your question of what I had not described concerning the
effects the Startup Repair had after my laptop had assured me it had
fixed itself, the computer restarted and again came to the same blue
screen asking me which language I would like to choose. Again I chose
English, and it brought me back to the same place I was before at the
pop up of some box that wanted me to pick an operating system, but to no
avail because none were listed again. The only way I figured out how to
get to the next box where I could choose from a list of Repair
accessories including Startup Repair, System Restore, Command Prompt,
etc., was because I had simply pressed next without selecting an
operating system and I selected Startup Repair. I have used the System
Restore before and brought a computer back from the grave, and I figured
I could do the same this time. I selected System Restore from this list,
but it gave me some message about how it couldn't work because it had no
restore points to restore to. This is eerie because I am certain my
laptop does and has created restore points. It struck me as if saying
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" and now I am considering
naming my laptop HAL, that is of course by some magic it emerges from
it's current state of a paper-weight. I did not receive a stop error
from the computer at anytime. I agree whole-heartedly with you, I don't
have anything to loose from checking to see if those Bootrec commands
will work. I did however try what the computer suggested when I clicked
on System Restore (that I should type in some command to restore it) I
am certain I typed it in correctly, but again the computer did nothing.
Hopefully this new information might shed some light as to what the
problem might be, and I warmly welcome any further diagnosis. Thank you
once again.


--
DoubleJay
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Startup Repair: Cannot Automatically Repair AnikaCarolina Windows Vista Home Basic 6 05-14-2009 12:52
Vista install problem - Now stuck on Startup Repair capasitore microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 03-12-2009 14:46
Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically Desperate microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 11-24-2008 03:24
stuck in system repair wpaul microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-24-2008 02:53




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120