Installing Vista

elisabeth01

Installing Vista

I have a 120GB Sata drive and I am stuck in a loop.

The loop is
"launch repair, or start windows normally"

I have tried both. I have also did F8 and did safe mode, etc.

However I want to just clean it off & start over. I put the cd in, it
boots then it does "Copy setup files" The bar finishes, it goes to
another screen, and it just sits there, with the mouse....just sits
there for hours.

Any idea? I am willing to buy another HD just didn't want to if it's
not that.

Thanks!

--
elisabeth01
elisabeth01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122174.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dominic Payer

Re: Installing Vista
Download and run the disk manufacturer's diagnostic utility. This will
tell you if the disk is faulty.

Also, you can test your system memory with Memtest
http://www.memtest.org/ if the disk is not defective.

On 06/08/2009 16:30, elisabeth01 wrote:
> I have a 120GB Sata drive and I am stuck in a loop.
>
> The loop is
> "launch repair, or start windows normally"
>
> I have tried both. I have also did F8 and did safe mode, etc.
>
> However I want to just clean it off& start over. I put the cd in, it
> boots then it does "Copy setup files" The bar finishes, it goes to
> another screen, and it just sits there, with the mouse....just sits
> there for hours.
>
> Any idea? I am willing to buy another HD just didn't want to if it's
> not that.
>
> Thanks!

elisabeth01

Re: Installing Vista

is the last one bootable? I can't even get it to boot.

I will try to find the driver diagnosis. I see the drive in the BIOS.

--
elisabeth01
elisabeth01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122174.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1227486.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

elisabeth01

Re: Installing Vista

nevermind. dumb question.

--
elisabeth01
elisabeth01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122174.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1227486.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

elisabeth01

Re: Installing Vista

I couldn't really find the utility cd so I took the hard drive out and
plugged it in an external hard drive, it won't even format on another
computer. Probably the hard drive huh?

--
elisabeth01
elisabeth01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122174.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1227486.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dominic Payer

Re: Installing Vista
Probably, unless the enclosure's firmware is not compatible with the PC
or OS.

The diagnostic utility would be downloaded from the disk manufacturer's
site and would run from a CD, floppy or USB key. Since you give no
details of the disk I can't point you to the right location.

On 07/08/2009 13:35, elisabeth01 wrote:
> I couldn't really find the utility cd so I took the hard drive out and
> plugged it in an external hard drive, it won't even format on another
> computer. Probably the hard drive huh?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Installing Vista
"elisabeth01" <elisabeth01.3wi93b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a 120GB Sata drive and I am stuck in a loop.
>
> The loop is
> "launch repair, or start windows normally"
>
> I have tried both. I have also did F8 and did safe mode, etc.
>
> However I want to just clean it off & start over. I put the cd in, it
> boots then it does "Copy setup files" The bar finishes, it goes to
> another screen, and it just sits there, with the mouse....just sits
> there for hours.
>
> Any idea? I am willing to buy another HD just didn't want to if it's
> not that.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> elisabeth01
> elisabeth01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122174.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1227486.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

If you have dual monitors, disconnect the second during the installation.