Need to install drivers after clean Vista install?

Don

Need to install drivers after clean Vista install?
I just can't seem to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. So, I've decided to do a clean install. Will I need to install the drivers after I do the clean install, or will they still be in
effect from Home Premium?

Thanks,
Don
whs

Re: Need to install drivers after clean Vista install?

With a clean install you are at zero as far as drivers go. But Vista
should install them automatically. It is recommended to disconnect all
external devices during the installation (except keyboard, mouse and
screen, of course). When you plug the devices back in (e.g. a printer),
Vista should find the driver automatically. For exotic devices though,
you may have to install the drivers yourself.

--
whs
Malke

Don wrote:

> I just can't seem to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. So,
> I've decided to do a clean install. Will I need to install the drivers
> after I do the clean install, or will they still be in effect from Home
> Premium?

The clean install leaves nothing of the previous install so yes, drivers
will need to be installed. Vista *might* find the drivers automagically as
the other poster suggested, but there is a good chance it won't. It would be
smart to have the drivers on hand ahead of time. You don't really want the
drivers for printers included in Vista anyway unless your printer is
elderly. The drivers included in Vista will just be basic ones. Go to the
printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers first.

General information about drivers:

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Don

Re: Need to install drivers after clean Vista install?
Thanks much, whs!

Don

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 10:30:06 -0500, whs <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>With a clean install you are at zero as far as drivers go. But Vista
>should install them automatically. It is recommended to disconnect all
>external devices during the installation (except keyboard, mouse and
>screen, of course). When you plug the devices back in (e.g. a printer),
>Vista should find the driver automatically. For exotic devices though,
>you may have to install the drivers yourself.

Don

Re: Need to install drivers after clean Vista install?
Thanks much, Malke!

Don

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:27:14 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Don wrote:
>
>> I just can't seem to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. So,
>> I've decided to do a clean install. Will I need to install the drivers
>> after I do the clean install, or will they still be in effect from Home
>> Premium?

>The clean install leaves nothing of the previous install so yes, drivers
>will need to be installed. Vista *might* find the drivers automagically as
>the other poster suggested, but there is a good chance it won't. It would be
>smart to have the drivers on hand ahead of time. You don't really want the
>drivers for printers included in Vista anyway unless your printer is
>elderly. The drivers included in Vista will just be basic ones. Go to the
>printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers first.
>
>General information about drivers:
>
>Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
>
>1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
>2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
>3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
>(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
>
>Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.
>
>To find out what hardware is in your computer:
>
>1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
>2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
>machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
>3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
>Advisor or System Information for Windows.
>
>http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
>http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows
>
>Malke

Don

Re: Need to install drivers after clean Vista install?
Thanks also for the two "Advisor" links. They are great!!!