> I just can't seem to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. So,
> I've decided to do a clean install. Will I need to install the drivers
> after I do the clean install, or will they still be in effect from Home
The clean install leaves nothing of the previous install so yes, drivers
will need to be installed. Vista *might* find the drivers automagically as
the other poster suggested, but there is a good chance it won't. It would be
smart to have the drivers on hand ahead of time. You don't really want the
drivers for printers included in Vista anyway unless your printer is
elderly. The drivers included in Vista will just be basic ones. Go to the
printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers first.
General information about drivers:
Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.
To find out what hardware is in your computer:
1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.
- Belarc Advisor
- System Information for Windows
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!