service pack 3 failed install

imlosthere

service pack 3 failed install
I installed service pack 3 and it had an error message. The screen will not
allow windows to boot. for three days now it says reverting changes and stays
there. It won't even boot into safe mode. What do i do? how do i even get
past it to save my info and reformat?
Mike Brannigan

Re: service pack 3 failed install
"imlosthere" <imlosthere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed service pack 3 and it had an error message. The screen will not
> allow windows to boot. for three days now it says reverting changes and
> stays
> there. It won't even boot into safe mode. What do i do? how do i even get
> past it to save my info and reformat?

There is no SP3 for Windows Vista, so what do you actually think you
installed and where did you get it ?
If you downloaded something from a none Microsoft site claiming to be PS3
for Windows Vista then you have probably wrecked your install and will have
to do a clean install to clear out the mess.
--

Mike Brannigan

imlosthere

Re: service pack 3 failed install
Well, it came through microsoft update, mabey it was service pack 2 honestly
it was three days ago now and i am not sure.

is it possible to upgrade to windows 7 as an upgrade and keep my info in
tact?
i haven't backed up in about a month and need to try to salvage my pictures
if at all possible.

thanks,

Mark

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "imlosthere" <imlosthere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed service pack 3 and it had an error message. The screen will not
> > allow windows to boot. for three days now it says reverting changes and
> > stays
> > there. It won't even boot into safe mode. What do i do? how do i even get
> > past it to save my info and reformat?

> There is no SP3 for Windows Vista, so what do you actually think you
> installed and where did you get it ?
> If you downloaded something from a none Microsoft site claiming to be PS3
> for Windows Vista then you have probably wrecked your install and will have
> to do a clean install to clear out the mess.
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Malke

imlosthere wrote:

> Well, it came through microsoft update, mabey it was service pack 2
> honestly it was three days ago now and i am not sure.
>
> is it possible to upgrade to windows 7 as an upgrade and keep my info in
> tact?
> i haven't backed up in about a month and need to try to salvage my
> pictures if at all possible.

This would be extremely foolish. Especially since there is no legal download
of Win7 RTM until at the earliest August 6th (TechNet, MSDN, or MS Partner
subscribers). Boot with a Linux Live CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu) and copy your data
to an external hard drive. Then you can try a System Restore using your
Vista installation DVD. If that doesn't work, you'll need to clean-install
Vista/restore to factory condition.

How to run System Restore from the Vista DVD repair options:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-vista-system-
restore/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

For people who only have a restore image - Windows Vista Recovery Disc
Download:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

GTS

Re: service pack 3 failed install
I guess it's Vista SP2 that you're talking about since you say it was
through Windows update.

Your best bet is to boot a Vista DVD and try the repair tools. You might
try a Startup Repair first. If that fails try using System Restore to roll
back.

See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html for
information about how to run these processes. If you don't have a Vista DVD
you can try to borrow one. It is also possible to download an ISO file to
burn a DVD with the repair tools. That will, of course, require access to
another working computer. See