how to get rid of 15gb space on HD

pacca

how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
When I went from 32bit vista to 64bit vista I now have 15gb of unallocated
space (partition?)to the left of my CO drive it has no data on it and letter
designation,disk management only gives me the option to create "simple
volume" for that 15gb.I would like to merge that 15gb back to my CO drive,
only have 1 hard drive.I think because the15gb is to the left(in front) it
wont let me expand the C partition.I hope I am explaining this right,any
ideas.Thanks

Rick Rogers

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
Hi,

I'm guessing that the 15GB was formerly your recovery volume from the
original installation. In order to merge this free space (there is no
partition if it is listed as unallocated), you will need to use a third
party program because it is in the wrong location. To extend an existing
volume into free space, the space must be immediately after the existing
volume, not before it as seen by disk manager (and other utilities). What
you will need to do is slide the existing volume forward into it, so that
the free space is created after the volume, then you extend the volume to
encompass it. You cannot extend forward. Disk Manager is incapable of this
slide operation, it would only be able to create a new volume from the free
space or extend the existing one once it it has been moved. Third party
tools that will work include BootIT NG from terabyteunlimited and Acronis'
Disk Director.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> When I went from 32bit vista to 64bit vista I now have 15gb of unallocated
> space (partition?)to the left of my CO drive it has no data on it and
> letter designation,disk management only gives me the option to create
> "simple volume" for that 15gb.I would like to merge that 15gb back to my
> CO drive, only have 1 hard drive.I think because the15gb is to the left(in
> front) it wont let me expand the C partition.I hope I am explaining this
> right,any ideas.Thanks

pacca

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
Thanks much for your reply,I might just leave as is,I intend to install
windows 7 in Oct,do you know if I will have the option to get rid of that
15gb of unallocated space when I do a clean install of win 7.You are right
about that was the recovery volume.Thanks again
> Hi,.
>
> I'm guessing that the 15GB was formerly your recovery volume from the
> original installation. In order to merge this free space (there is no
> partition if it is listed as unallocated), you will need to use a third
> party program because it is in the wrong location. To extend an existing
> volume into free space, the space must be immediately after the existing
> volume, not before it as seen by disk manager (and other utilities). What
> you will need to do is slide the existing volume forward into it, so that
> the free space is created after the volume, then you extend the volume to
> encompass it. You cannot extend forward. Disk Manager is incapable of this
> slide operation, it would only be able to create a new volume from the
> free space or extend the existing one once it it has been moved. Third
> party tools that will work include BootIT NG from terabyteunlimited and
> Acronis' Disk Director.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> Vote for my shoe: http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> When I went from 32bit vista to 64bit vista I now have 15gb of
>> unallocated space (partition?)to the left of my CO drive it has no data
>> on it and letter designation,disk management only gives me the option to
>> create "simple volume" for that 15gb.I would like to merge that 15gb back
>> to my CO drive, only have 1 hard drive.I think because the15gb is to the
>> left(in front) it wont let me expand the C partition.I hope I am
>> explaining this right,any ideas.Thanks

Bill Daggett

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
"pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote:

>Thanks much for your reply,I might just leave as is,I intend to install
>windows 7 in Oct,do you know if I will have the option to get rid of that
>15gb of unallocated space when I do a clean install of win 7.You are right
>about that was the recovery volume.Thanks again

Download the FREE partition manager EASEUS and just take care of it
now so that you won't have to be concerned about it again.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

>"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,.
>>
>> I'm guessing that the 15GB was formerly your recovery volume from the
>> original installation. In order to merge this free space (there is no
>> partition if it is listed as unallocated), you will need to use a third
>> party program because it is in the wrong location. To extend an existing
>> volume into free space, the space must be immediately after the existing
>> volume, not before it as seen by disk manager (and other utilities). What
>> you will need to do is slide the existing volume forward into it, so that
>> the free space is created after the volume, then you extend the volume to
>> encompass it. You cannot extend forward. Disk Manager is incapable of this
>> slide operation, it would only be able to create a new volume from the
>> free space or extend the existing one once it it has been moved. Third
>> party tools that will work include BootIT NG from terabyteunlimited and
>> Acronis' Disk Director.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> Vote for my shoe: http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> When I went from 32bit vista to 64bit vista I now have 15gb of
>>> unallocated space (partition?)to the left of my CO drive it has no data
>>> on it and letter designation,disk management only gives me the option to
>>> create "simple volume" for that 15gb.I would like to merge that 15gb back
>>> to my CO drive, only have 1 hard drive.I think because the15gb is to the
>>> left(in front) it wont let me expand the C partition.I hope I am
>>> explaining this right,any ideas.Thanks

Mike Hall - MVP

"Bill Daggett" <Daggett@wmunny.invalid> wrote in message
newssm5751oguhii63693i4ltfh79rvpc48ik@4ax.com...
> "pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks much for your reply,I might just leave as is,I intend to install
>>windows 7 in Oct,do you know if I will have the option to get rid of that
>>15gb of unallocated space when I do a clean install of win 7.You are right
>>about that was the recovery volume.Thanks again

> Download the FREE partition manager EASEUS and just take care of it
> now so that you won't have to be concerned about it again.
>
> http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
>

>>"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>news:%23ry5wwcEKHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl.. .
>>> Hi,.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that the 15GB was formerly your recovery volume from the
>>> original installation. In order to merge this free space (there is no
>>> partition if it is listed as unallocated), you will need to use a third
>>> party program because it is in the wrong location. To extend an existing
>>> volume into free space, the space must be immediately after the existing
>>> volume, not before it as seen by disk manager (and other utilities).
>>> What
>>> you will need to do is slide the existing volume forward into it, so
>>> that
>>> the free space is created after the volume, then you extend the volume
>>> encompass it. You cannot extend forward. Disk Manager is incapable of
>>> this
>>> slide operation, it would only be able to create a new volume from the
>>> free space or extend the existing one once it it has been moved. Third
>>> party tools that will work include BootIT NG from terabyteunlimited and
>>> Acronis' Disk Director.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> Vote for my shoe: http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>>
>>> "pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote in message

The free version does NOT work with 64-bit..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

pacca

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
yeah your right ,so I downloaded EASEUS pro demo which will work on
64bit,but I am a leary to buy it I might mess things up

> yeah your right ,so I downloaded EASEUS pro demo which will work on
> 64bit,but I am a leary to buy it I might mess things up

I use the 32-bit on client computers and have had no problems to date.

If the 64-bit version is as good, I would have no hesitation in buying it.
The reason I haven't already bought it is because I have Acronis Disk
Director on my production computer..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

pacca

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
all I want to do is reclaim 15gb of unallocated space,because 15gb is in
front (to the left) of my c drive,in vista disk manager I cant merge it to
my c drive (to the right).Willl easeus be able to do that,do I have convert
to a partition & format to move it in easeus,and then delete partition,I
just my Seagate 320gb with no partitions.I just scared to screw up.Thanks
> "pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> yeah your right ,so I downloaded EASEUS pro demo which will work on
>> 64bit,but I am a leary to buy it I might mess things up

> I use the 32-bit on client computers and have had no problems to date.
>
> If the 64-bit version is as good, I would have no hesitation in buying it.
> The reason I haven't already bought it is because I have Acronis Disk
> Director on my production computer..
>
> --
>
> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Dominic Payer

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
GPartEd http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ is free and will move your
partition in a boot time operation.

When installing Windows 7, always install on unpartitioned space unless
you have particular reason to allocate partitions yourself. Do not do as
for earlier versions of Windows and create a partition. Windows 7
prefers to create a 100MB system partition, which will not be allocated
a drive letter, to hold its boot files and optimise performance.

If you do not want Windows 7 to use the full disk (it creates its paging
file in the middle of the space used so without third party tools the
system partition cannot be reduced by more than about half) create a
partition of the space you want to use, then a following partition, then
delete the first partition and, with that free space selected, proceed
with the installation.

On 31/07/2009 15:47, pacca wrote:
> all I want to do is reclaim 15gb of unallocated space,because 15gb is in
> front (to the left) of my c drive,in vista disk manager I cant merge it
> to my c drive (to the right).Willl easeus be able to do that,do I have
> convert to a partition & format to move it in easeus,and then delete
> partition,I just my Seagate 320gb with no partitions.I just scared to
> screw up.Thanks
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "pacca" <tpacc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> yeah your right ,so I downloaded EASEUS pro demo which will work on
>>> 64bit,but I am a leary to buy it I might mess things up

>> I use the 32-bit on client computers and have had no problems to date.
>>
>> If the 64-bit version is as good, I would have no hesitation in buying
>> it. The reason I haven't already bought it is because I have Acronis
>> Disk Director on my production computer..
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

R. C. White

Re: how to get rid of 15gb space on HD
Hi, Dominic.

> If you do not want Windows 7 to use the full disk (it creates its paging
> file in the middle of the space used so without third party tools the
> system partition cannot be reduced by more than about half)

I was not aware of this paging file behavior in Win7.

But, in that case, couldn't we use Advanced System Properties to specify NO
paging file? Then reboot and be sure the old paging file was deleted. And
then we could use Disk Management (or DiskPart) to Shrink the volume,
couldn't we?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA