Vista DVD won't boot

whitik

Vista DVD won't boot

Hi everybody. I have found many similar threads but none of them seem
to fit the situation exactly and none of the solutions have worked yet
so here goes.

I just built a new computer and am trying to load and DVD OEM Vista
ultimate x64 OS.

I have 4 SATA hard disks and 1 SATA Sony bdu-x10s blu-ray drive. I have
configured the 4 HDDs in Bios for RAID0. I also set BIOS to boot from
the Sony drive only.

When I put the Vista disk in and power on the computer I notice that it
loads the HDDs very quickly and sits on the Sony for a long time ~30
seconds. then it checks the disk and says no bootable media found. I
observed that if I remove the disk and power on the computer the Sony
drive loads just as quickly as the HDDs (<1s).

First I checked the disk on a 32 bit laptop I have. it opens in windows
fine (though throws an error that it can't install on this computer,
because it's 32 bit). it also boots ok, again throwing the same error.

Then I checked the drive with a XP x32 disk, that boots and loads fine
however I cannot install because I require the 3rd party RAID drivers
which can only be installed with Floppy on XP and I have no floppy drive
(I am currently experimenting with nLite to load the drivers on the XP
ISO. No luck on my first shot but I'll keep trying)

Any ideas why the DVD won't boot? I have the latest driver for the BIOS
on my Rampage II Extreme Motherboard (1406 bios version)

Thanks!

--
whitik
kword88

Re: Vista DVD won't boot

try a usb flash drive to load sata drivers. you may have to disable raid
in the bios.

--
kword88
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista DVD won't boot
A firmware update for the DVD drive might help. See
http://sony.storagesupport.com/node/7187.

Can you test the BDU-X10S drive in another machine to confirm it is not
defective?

nLite should do the job for your laptop. You could also consider a USB
floppy drive e.g. http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/26 .

On 30/07/2009 05:50, whitik wrote:
> Hi everybody. I have found many similar threads but none of them seem
> to fit the situation exactly and none of the solutions have worked yet
> so here goes.
>
> I just built a new computer and am trying to load and DVD OEM Vista
> ultimate x64 OS.
>
> I have 4 SATA hard disks and 1 SATA Sony bdu-x10s blu-ray drive. I have
> configured the 4 HDDs in Bios for RAID0. I also set BIOS to boot from
> the Sony drive only.
>
> When I put the Vista disk in and power on the computer I notice that it
> loads the HDDs very quickly and sits on the Sony for a long time ~30
> seconds. then it checks the disk and says no bootable media found. I
> observed that if I remove the disk and power on the computer the Sony
> drive loads just as quickly as the HDDs (<1s).
>
> First I checked the disk on a 32 bit laptop I have. it opens in windows
> fine (though throws an error that it can't install on this computer,
> because it's 32 bit). it also boots ok, again throwing the same error.
>
> Then I checked the drive with a XP x32 disk, that boots and loads fine
> however I cannot install because I require the 3rd party RAID drivers
> which can only be installed with Floppy on XP and I have no floppy drive
> (I am currently experimenting with nLite to load the drivers on the XP
> ISO. No luck on my first shot but I'll keep trying)
>
> Any ideas why the DVD won't boot? I have the latest driver for the BIOS
> on my Rampage II Extreme Motherboard (1406 bios version)
>
> Thanks!

whitik

Re: Vista DVD won't boot

kword88;1101911 Wrote:
> try a usb flash drive to load sata drivers. you may have to disable raid
> in the bios.

I can use usb flash to load the drivers with Vista (execept the DVD
won't load) but not with XP which can only use Floppy...

If i disable RAID then my drives won't be in a RAID0 array.... I want
them in a RAID0 array...

--
whitik
whitik

Re: Vista DVD won't boot

I will check the firmware update for Sony, thanks. Can I update the
firmware without an OS?

As I mentioned the Sony drive loads the XP cd just fine so I think it
is ok. I suppose maybe the DVD laser could be defective, I will try to
create another bootable DVD and see if it loads. I do not have another
machine to put the Drive into

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dominic Payer;1101914 Wrote:
> A firmware update for the DVD drive might help. See
> 'BDUX10S Firmware Upgrade Version 1.0d | Sony Storage Support'
> (http://sony.storagesupport.com/node/7187).
>
> Can you test the BDU-X10S drive in another machine to confirm it is not
> defective?
>
> nLite should do the job for your laptop. You could also consider a USB
> floppy drive e.g. 'Product Details | Sony Storage Support'
> (http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/26) .

--
whitik
whitik

Re: Vista DVD won't boot

I checked the firmware update which was issued 05/28/2008, I just got my
drive this week so I'm sure the firmware is up to date

whitik;1101942 Wrote:
> I will check the firmware update for Sony, thanks. Can I update the
> firmware without an OS?
>
> As I mentioned the Sony drive loads the XP cd just fine so I think it
> is ok. I suppose maybe the DVD laser could be defective, I will try to
> create another bootable DVD and see if it loads. I do not have another
> machine to put the Drive into
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> > Dominic Payer;1101914 Wrote:
> > A firmware update for the DVD drive might help. See
> > 'BDUX10S Firmware Upgrade Version 1.0d | Sony Storage Support'
> > (http://sony.storagesupport.com/node/7187).
> >
> > Can you test the BDU-X10S drive in another machine to confirm it is not
> > defective?
> >
> > nLite should do the job for your laptop. You could also consider a USB
> > floppy drive e.g. 'Product Details | Sony Storage Support'
> > (http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/26) .

--
whitik
whitik

Re: Vista DVD won't boot

I got a couple more vista disks from some friends and tried them, one
didn't boot, the second did... so not sure why but it's working now.

--
whitik