_Vista service pack 2 nightmare

mick

_Vista service pack 2 nightmare
Ok I give up on this. three days of messing about is enough for anyone.
After many many reboot fail reboot fail cycles I`m at the stage that whenevr
I reboot I get the "installing service pack 2 stage 3 of 3" It then loads
windows but system info tells me I`m still on service pack 1. All I want now
is for someone to tell me how to stop it trying install the update when I
reboot. What files do I delete/edit, what registry entry do I change. I`m
no longer interested in service pack 2. I just want my system working again.

TIA

mick

Rick Rogers

Re: _Vista service pack 2 nightmare
Hi,

Did you try disabling your antivirus software? It may be blocking SP2 from
completing.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mick" <coughcough@privacy.com> wrote in message
> Ok I give up on this. three days of messing about is enough for anyone.
> After many many reboot fail reboot fail cycles I`m at the stage that
> whenevr I reboot I get the "installing service pack 2 stage 3 of 3" It
> then loads windows but system info tells me I`m still on service pack 1.
> All I want now is for someone to tell me how to stop it trying install the
> update when I reboot. What files do I delete/edit, what registry entry do
> I change. I`m no longer interested in service pack 2. I just want my
> system working again.
>
> TIA
>
> mick

ree

> Hi,
>
> Did you try disabling your antivirus software? It may be blocking SP2 from
> completing.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> Vote for my shoe: http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "mick" <coughcough@privacy.com> wrote in message
>> Ok I give up on this. three days of messing about is enough for anyone.
>> After many many reboot fail reboot fail cycles I`m at the stage that
>> whenevr I reboot I get the "installing service pack 2 stage 3 of 3" It
>> then loads windows but system info tells me I`m still on service pack 1.
>> All I want now is for someone to tell me how to stop it trying install
>> the update when I reboot. What files do I delete/edit, what registry
>> entry do I change. I`m no longer interested in service pack 2. I just
>> want my system working again.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> mick

I had very similar problems and wrote to Microsoft support . I was amazed at
the immediate reply , quality of support and step by step instructions . I
am one happy user . Give it a try !

mick

Re: _Vista service pack 2 nightmare

> Hi,
>
> Did you try disabling your antivirus software? It may be blocking SP2 from
> completing.

Finally sussed it. I had uninstalled all security stuff except the virus
checker which I just turned off. This wasnt enough it seems. I had to
uninstall that as well. Thanks for your response.

mick

Rick Rogers

Re: _Vista service pack 2 nightmare
Not uncommn with service packs. Glad you got it sorted.