COA Missing

Microsoft Communities

COA Missing
In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade to
Vista.
Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put the
Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get the
COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
Does anyone know where to get it?

Dell has now information on this.

--
Ed Davis

David B.

Re: COA Missing
Reinstall Windows XP using your Dell recovery media, then install the Vista
upgrade.

--

------
"Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade to
> Vista.
> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put the
> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
> the
> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
> Does anyone know where to get it?
>
> Dell has now information on this.
>

> --
> Ed Davis

Curious

Re: COA Missing
When you got your free Vista upgrade it should have come with a new Vista
product key sticker which you could place on the Dell system cabinet next
to the XP Product Key sticker.
In any case you can use the following utility to find out the Product Key.

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/

"Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade to
> Vista.
> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put the
> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
> the
> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
> Does anyone know where to get it?
>
> Dell has now information on this.
>

> --
> Ed Davis

peter

Re: COA Missing
OR you could just clone the old HD to the new HD
programs that do this are usually free download from the manufacturer of the
new HD.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade to
> Vista.
> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put the
> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
> the
> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
> Does anyone know where to get it?
>
> Dell has now information on this.
>

> --
> Ed Davis

Microsoft Communities

Re: COA Missing
I tried the software on my system where I do have the COA and the number is
not the same everything else that it gave me was correct.
Thanks for your help.

--
Ed Davis
"Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> When you got your free Vista upgrade it should have come with a new Vista
> product key sticker which you could place on the Dell system cabinet next
> to the XP Product Key sticker.
> In any case you can use the following utility to find out the Product Key.
>
> http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/
>
> "Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
>> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade to
>> Vista.
>> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
>> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put the
>> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
>> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
>> the
>> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
>> Does anyone know where to get it?
>>
>> Dell has now information on this.
>>

>> --
>> Ed Davis

Microsoft Communities

Re: COA Missing
Did That and that is where it is asking me for the COA.

--
Ed Davis
"David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> Reinstall Windows XP using your Dell recovery media, then install the
> Vista upgrade.
>
> --
>

> ------
> "Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
>> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade to
>> Vista.
>> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
>> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put the
>> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
>> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
>> the
>> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
>> Does anyone know where to get it?
>>
>> Dell has now information on this.
>>

>> --
>> Ed Davis

Curious

Re: COA Missing
I am not sure what a COA is. I only know that to install a Windows OS that
you need a Product Key

> I tried the software on my system where I do have the COA and the number
> is not the same everything else that it gave me was correct.
> Thanks for your help.
>

> --
> Ed Davis
> "Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> When you got your free Vista upgrade it should have come with a new Vista
>> product key sticker which you could place on the Dell system cabinet
>> next to the XP Product Key sticker.
>> In any case you can use the following utility to find out the Product
>> Key.
>>
>> http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/
>>
>> "Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
>>> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade
>>> Vista.
>>> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
>>> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put
>>> the
>>> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
>>> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
>>> the
>>> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
>>> Does anyone know where to get it?
>>>
>>> Dell has now information on this.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ed Davis

David B.

Re: COA Missing
Then I would contact Dell support for assistance if they are the ones that
provided the upgrade.

--

------
> Did That and that is where it is asking me for the COA.
>

> --
> Ed Davis
> "David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> Reinstall Windows XP using your Dell recovery media, then install the
>> Vista upgrade.
>>
>> --
>>

>> ------
>> "Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
>>> In 2006 I purchased a computer from DELL that came with a free upgrade
>>> Vista.
>>> Now I just purchased a larger drive and am trying to do a restore.
>>> I need to restore the system with XP Pro. first and when I try to put
>>> the
>>> Vista upgrade on it asks for the COA which I cannot find.
>>> I still have the old drive and it works fine. There must be a way to get
>>> the
>>> COA from the Vista operating system from that drive.
>>> Does anyone know where to get it?
>>>
>>> Dell has now information on this.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ed Davis

John E. Carty

Re: COA Missing
> I am not sure what a COA is. I only know that to install a Windows OS
> that you need a Product Key

COA = Certificate of Authenticity and includes the 25-character product key
when Windows has come pre-installed on a system :-)

> "Microsoft Communities" <ed@danverssoftware.com> wrote in message
>> I tried the software on my system where I do have the COA and the number
>> is not the same everything else that it gave me was correct.
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>> --
>> Ed Davis
>> "Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> When you got your free Vista upgrade it should have come with a new
>>> Vista product key sticker which you could place on the Dell system
>>> cabinet next to the XP Product Key sticker.
>>> In any case you can use the following utility to find out the Product
>>> Key.
>>>
>>> http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/

Curious

Re: COA Missing
OK so that is the name of the sticker(s) I was referring to.
On my laptop I have both the original XP sticker and the one that came with
the free Vista upgrade so that I can rebuild any time if I need to.