Unable to create new "visible" partition

Milleniumaire

Unable to create new "visible" partition

I have just purchased an Acer Aspire 8935g laptop, which comes with
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (not sure why 64bit isn't supplied). It
has two 500gb hard drives; Disk 0 and Disk 1. Disk 1 is empty and I have
successfully created 3 partions on this drive. According to Vista's Disk
Management tool, Disk 0 contains three partitions. The first and last
are both EISA Configuration partitions and can't be seen through Windows
Explorer. The 2nd (middle) partition is the C: partition on which Vista
is installed.

I want to install Windows 7 RC 64bit in a dual boot configuration, so I
used Disk Manager to shrink the C: partition and then create a new 100gb
partition. I assigned it the drive letter B: (there are no floppy drives
on the laptop). The new B: partition is visible, along with the original
C: partition through Windows Explorer, until I reboot the laptop. The B:
partition then disappears and Windows Explorer can no longer see it,
however Disk Management shows it is still there but it no longer has a
drive letter and is now an EISA Configuration partition. I thought this
issue might be caused by the choice of drive letter so I tried again
using a different letter (F. Each time the drive is only visible to
Windows Explorer until the laptop is rebooted. I've also tried using a
different partition management tool (Partition Wizard) but it makes no
difference. I've tried creating the partition as logical and primary but
to no avail.

Can someone please explain what is happening? Why can't I create a
visible partition on my "O/S" drive?

--
Milleniumaire
R. C. White

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition
Hi, Milleniumaire.

I'm not sure it would make a difference, but did you format your new
partition before you rebooted?

I've never had a laptop of any kind, and haven't bought a new computer in 20
years - I just buy the components and build my own - so I have no idea about
an EISA configuration partition, except what I read in these newsgroups.
But I would expect only a single EISA partition, for the OS recovery files.
How did you get two on your Disk 0? Did Acer explain that?

It sounds to me like you did everything right, so I hope some Acer guru can
explain this to both of us.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Milleniumaire" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have just purchased an Acer Aspire 8935g laptop, which comes with
> Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (not sure why 64bit isn't supplied). It
> has two 500gb hard drives; Disk 0 and Disk 1. Disk 1 is empty and I have
> successfully created 3 partions on this drive. According to Vista's Disk
> Management tool, Disk 0 contains three partitions. The first and last
> are both EISA Configuration partitions and can't be seen through Windows
> Explorer. The 2nd (middle) partition is the C: partition on which Vista
> is installed.
>
> I want to install Windows 7 RC 64bit in a dual boot configuration, so I
> used Disk Manager to shrink the C: partition and then create a new 100gb
> partition. I assigned it the drive letter B: (there are no floppy drives
> on the laptop). The new B: partition is visible, along with the original
> C: partition through Windows Explorer, until I reboot the laptop. The B:
> partition then disappears and Windows Explorer can no longer see it,
> however Disk Management shows it is still there but it no longer has a
> drive letter and is now an EISA Configuration partition. I thought this
> issue might be caused by the choice of drive letter so I tried again
> using a different letter (F. Each time the drive is only visible to
> Windows Explorer until the laptop is rebooted. I've also tried using a
> different partition management tool (Partition Wizard) but it makes no
> difference. I've tried creating the partition as logical and primary but
> to no avail.
>
> Can someone please explain what is happening? Why can't I create a
> visible partition on my "O/S" drive?
>

> --
> Milleniumaire

Milleniumaire

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition

Hi RC,

I did format the new partition before rebooting. After shrinking the
original C: partition and making space available for the new partition
it was necessary to format it before I could create the new partition
(or was it after I created the new partition). Either way it has
definately been formatted.

I've been looking for a good Acer forum that might be monitored by Acer
gurus, as I suspect your right and this is likely to be an Acer specific
issue.

Milleniumaire

--
Milleniumaire
Milleniumaire

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition

I contacted Acer who tell me they don't support the creation of
partitons on the main O/S drive as this will affect their recovery
software! They went on to say that if I do change the way the recovery
software works it would void the warranty!!!!

I'm absoluteley amazed. I have a state of the art laptop with 2 x 500gb
disk drives. I can partition one of them, but not the one with the O/S
as this will void the warranty.

--
Milleniumaire
R. C. White

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition
Hi, Milleniumaire.

BUMMER! :>(

Many users (and even Microsoft) disagree over the question of whether
multiple partitions are better than a single one. I think it varies
depending on how YOU want to use YOUR computer. I'm not sure I would ever
buy a computer from a vendor that saddled me with a policy like you
describe!

My typical configuration - dating back a decade or so to when I began
dual-booting Win95/NT4 - is to create a single primary partition on EACH HDD
(I currently have 4, two of which are a RAID 1 mirror) and mark it Active.
Then I install Windows at least once with each HDD set in the BIOS as the
current boot device, so that Setup creates the proper MBR, boot sector and
startup files on that HDD. That way, I can always boot from Disk 2 if Disk
0 is damaged or missing. After creating the one (small) primary partition,
I create an Extended Partition covering the rest of the HDD and divide it up
into multiple logical drives as I need them. My 200 GB Disk 0 has 3 logical
drives, plus 15 GB of Free space. (I don't need the pre-beta build of Win7
anymore, so when Win7 RTM arrives from MSDN next week, I'll just delete or
reformat Drive Y: - the 6th logical drive on Disk 1 - and use that 60 GB to
install RTM. WinXP/Vista/7 doesn't care whether it is in Drive C: or D: or
X:, and I've also learned to not care about that. About half of my 1 TB
Disk 1 is still unused, but I'm running out of alphabet for Drive letters.)

Thanks for the report back about Acer's short-sighted policy.

RC
--

> I contacted Acer who tell me they don't support the creation of
> partitons on the main O/S drive as this will affect their recovery
> software! They went on to say that if I do change the way the recovery
> software works it would void the warranty!!!!
>
> I'm absoluteley amazed. I have a state of the art laptop with 2 x 500gb
> disk drives. I can partition one of them, but not the one with the O/S
> as this will void the warranty.
>

> --
> Milleniumaire

R. C. White

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition
HI, again, Milleniumaire.

I just saw an earlier thread in this NG, Subject: Preferred Install of
Vista x64 Ultimate, in which Noel Paton, a former MVP, reported in a post
dated 5/2/09 that his Acer 8930 had 4 partitions:

> 2 are visible (C: and D
> 2 are hidden EISA partitions - one for recovery (and I have no idea
> what the other one is - yet, unless it's a bootstrap drive for the
> first)

Still seems very strange to me!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Milleniumaire" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I contacted Acer who tell me they don't support the creation of
> partitons on the main O/S drive as this will affect their recovery
> software! They went on to say that if I do change the way the recovery
> software works it would void the warranty!!!!
>
> I'm absoluteley amazed. I have a state of the art laptop with 2 x 500gb
> disk drives. I can partition one of them, but not the one with the O/S
> as this will void the warranty.
>

> --
> Milleniumaire

TheDuck

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition
Use something other than B for the drive. B is associated with a removable
drive.

"Milleniumaire" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I contacted Acer who tell me they don't support the creation of
> partitons on the main O/S drive as this will affect their recovery
> software! They went on to say that if I do change the way the recovery
> software works it would void the warranty!!!!
>
> I'm absoluteley amazed. I have a state of the art laptop with 2 x 500gb
> disk drives. I can partition one of them, but not the one with the O/S
> as this will void the warranty.
>

> --
> Milleniumaire

R. C. White

Re: Unable to create new "visible" partition
Hi, Duck.

Can you cite some authority for that assertion?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX